'Better" rear axle sleeves

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 'Better" rear axle sleeves
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 01:56 pm:

A few years back I bought some rear axle bearing sleeves from Mac's. I'm finally getting around to using them on my project, but now know there were inferior sleeves made a few years ago. Is there any way I can tell if the ones I have are the good ones?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 01:59 pm:

How much did you pay for them if it was under 10 bucks, then they are not the good ones, good ones are 18.50 or more now,Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 02:00 pm:

What was the problem a few years ago? Cracking, wearing out to quick, wrong size other inferior opportunities for failure. Would a simple file test give you the answer you're looking for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 02:02 pm:

Oh, I missed the "Macs" reference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 02:04 pm:

I don't remember what I paid...just ordered some parts from them while I was at Hershey. I was hoping there would be some sort of markings or numbers on them. Looks like I'll have to play it safe and send Bob a check for 4 more new ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 02:06 pm:

Good answer David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 02:21 pm:

David,

Maybe when you get the news ones you'll see if the old ones differ much in their appearance, markings, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 02:28 pm:

Thank you we have them in stock, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 05:15 pm:

I think the difference between the better sleeves and the cheaper ones is their hardness. You should be able to tell whether yours are hardened by trying to cut the outside of them using the corner of a file. That's the "simple file test" Mike G. alluded to. If they're hardened, you should be able to tell it right away. If they're not, the file will easily cut a groove in them.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration