Brass Tire Pump

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Brass Tire Pump
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 03:57 pm:

Are the double tube brass tire pumps for the early Model T's hard to come by? Also, what would be a fair price for one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 04:08 pm:

Based,on what I've seen at swap meets and auctions, I'd say they're not plentiful. I have no idea about prices. I'd check ebay and see if any are there, and watch what they bring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 04:12 pm:

In good shape,they bring @$100.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 06:28 pm:

Triple tube pumps are even harder to come by but sure look neat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 10:34 pm:

The double tube pumps that were used on the early Fords were made by the Bridgeport Brass company. They usually have the remnants of red paint on the bottom cast iron base, and say the Bridgeport name on them.
I have bought two of them. One was about 16.00 and the other was about 30.00

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 06:40 am:

Herb, care to sell one of them? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 09:46 am:

Bridgeport also made a three stage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 09:51 am:

O.k. this may be a dumb question but what is the difference between a single pump and a double tire pump, besides the obvious! Is one better than the other? I've seen other brass tire pumps with only one cylinder so why the double?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 10:00 am:

Why does one triple pump have the small cylinder on the left, while the other has it on the right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 10:05 am:

The Kellog is for the front tire. The Bridgepot is for the rear. It's in the Darn Book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 10:05 am:

I believe one is facing forward and the other is facing backwards - according to the air outlet nipple I can see.

I have no idea but I suspect that the different tubes work together to fill the tire as quickly as possible: the big tube flows a lot of air at lower pressures, but as the pressure increases you need the smaller tubes generating more PSI to help stuff more air in the tire. If you only had the one large tube you would push the handle down a long ways and all it would do is compress the air in the tube, not push it into the tire. Just a guess though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 10:12 am:

Posted by Neil Kaminar on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 06:44 pm:

"Each cylinder is in series. The large one supplies the middle one which supplies the small one. The compression is more efficient that way, just like a compound steam engine. It should take less effort to pump up a tire, especially to high pressure."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 10:13 am:

You would think that three tubes would be harder to pump but some of the compressed air is helping you on the back stroke. the air is much higher pressure coming out of the small cylinder than on a single tire pump.

That's my theory.

Rich

OK it's Bridgeport and not in the darn book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 10:44 am:

Who makes the leather seals for the Bridgeport two barrel brass pumps?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 12:11 pm:

P. S. My Bridgeports are two different sizes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 12:16 pm:

Funny Richard ! Musta been one tiny ass automobile !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 03:08 am:

To try to get 45 lbs in a model T tire with a single cylinder pump is very difficult. Most cars today are 30 - 32 lbs which is relatively easy to attain with a single barrel pump. The three stage pump would make 45 lbs very easy. I have a single stage brass pump with Ford cast in the foot hold down payed about $60. Does any one know if the is model was supplied by Ford or is it after market/jobber.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration