Muffler Kaboom

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Muffler Kaboom
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 04:01 pm:

Well, I have yet to break a crank, but I do seem to be going on to my third muffler.

Just took a drive down to the hardware store (to get something for Lizzy) and noticed my key had jiggled out and fallen to the floor boards. Never did that before. I set about jiggling it back in while driving down the road. Just a few seconds of driving with the key jiggled from mag to off then back to mag, without retarding the spark = Kaboom. Seriously big explosion, then my exhaust sounded louder. I drove back from the hardware store and found the missing shell after it had been run over, of course.

Here is the aftermath...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/sets/72157639843100143/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 04:04 pm:

Yep, your JATO malfunctioned. That made for an exciting trip, didn't it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 04:07 pm:

That will cause it whether switch from batt to mag or mag to batt or mag to mag or batt to batt. Any time the ignition is interrupted and then restored, raw fuel will be swept into the exhaust system and then when the ignition is restored it will explode. If one intentionally switches from batt to mag while driving, put it in neutral and close the throttle while doing the switch. Then advance the throttle and let out the clutch.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 04:09 pm:

Oh man, did it ever. I made dogs bark for several blocks. Don't believe the rear of the car came off the ground, but it kind of sounded like a J.A.T.O. bottle let loose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 04:13 pm:

I forgot to retard the spark. The throttle can stay open if the spark is de-advanced before the key is put back to power then slowly re-advanced, it shouldn't backfire? That's what I have found. Am I all wet on this concept?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 04:13 pm:

Eric, I have been there and own that T shirt. I like to use the earlier style muffler with the cast iron ends. I have found several of them at swap meets, sandwich the new muffler parts and bolt to the frame. In my opinion they stay together better than the later style muffler and it is a better mount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 05:09 pm:

Mike, good idea.

Here is my question: Obviously the muffler acted as a pressure relief valve by blowing apart. Since I can assume I may do this again, I was thinking weld the sucker up. But then what will that big shock wave of pressure do? Will it cause other damage?

Also, I see many complaints about the currently available exhaust pipes. What is the complaint about them? What can be done about it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 05:25 pm:

Erich, another good idea is to have your local sheet metal man roll new sleeves in stainless steel in the same or heavier gauge. Not only will they last for ever, the stainless is much tougher, and the folded joins are considerably stronger as a result. I have yet to blow a stainless shell to bits.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 05:42 pm:

Erich, I think it is a common practice to weld the seams on new mufflers.
I have yet to blow one apart, so mine are not welded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 05:52 pm:

An admission of amateur status as a mechanic:

I had a '64 Mercury Comet Caliente with a 289 engine. I completely overhauled the engine (short block and heads done by a machine shop), and bolted it together myself. I blew out 3 mufflers before finding that the brand new points I had installed were faulty. Once that was discovered and fixed it ran like a dream.

Sure does make the dogs howl, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 06:44 pm:

I had the same thing happen when my T went over a big bump. I think the coils bounced up off their contacts and somehow screwed up the timing (temporarily) and blew the muffler.

Being frugal, an hours work pounding it back into shape and refolding the seam and all was well. Just as quiet as before.

Someday soon I'll add a strip of wood to the coil top box which will pin the coils down tight ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 06:56 pm:

I got the big bang at The Old Car Festival at night when I bumped the key off with my hand and switched it back on. Didn't' do any damage. I wish I could have seen the flame. Scared a few people but it probably added to the character of the event.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 07:22 pm:

My inner pipe is 2 inch water pipe and the outer shell is welded. Add into that mix the cast iron ends with the tail pipe. I have yet to blow up the muffler with that setup even with a backfire but did several times with just the pressed steel ends and just a welded outer shell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 10:25 pm:

Been there, done that. Managed to put it back together every time. Never had the shell come apart like that though. I'm impressed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 10:45 pm:

Nice tire track on your muffler!
I had a license plate fall off once.
I stopped and my wifey ran back to rescue it but just as she got there some bonehead in a big pickup swerved to run over it and almost hit the ol' lady.
I had the windows up in the car but I heard her cuss the guy out big time!
Didn't know she knew all those four letter words!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 10:49 pm:

I have made them from round duct work,
I roll the to ends to taper then for a tight fit on the cast iron ends

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:05 pm:

I did that once in a while at High School, with my Model A. I guess that wouldn't go over very well these days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 07:37 am:

I blew my muffler apart a couple of times, and got tired of it, I found an extension we used on a Mack for when we were hauling cattle and found it was the same diameter, and as the Mack and cattle are gone, a length was removed with a hack saw and that was the last time I split my muffler

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 08:16 am:

Looks exactly like mine after a switch malfunction but since I was on a bridge I never found the outer shell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J Williams on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 09:04 am:

I rebuilt the Muffler on my 1921 TT with exhaust pipe from a
Mack tractor it is now a lifetime muffler But mine won't backfire
While switching back and forth Lucky I guess!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 11:53 am:

Hey James, it looks like Mack trucks ore good for something after all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 02:47 pm:

Shawn, looks great.

Wonder what gauge the metal is on the Mack muffler?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 03:51 pm:

Cool, hours later and my new friend Tim at Metfab Heating and Cooling has now made his first outer shell for a model T muffler. I just had to get him a bit of stove pipe from my favorite hardware store. It was already painted black too. 5 minutes later, she is back in place. Now I don't have to drive around sounding like a Montana 500 car (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 03:53 pm:

I just have a suspicion the explosion may have "altered" my exhaust whistle cut-out. Will see about that after a bit of test driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 06:56 pm:

Nope, one very cold test drive later, I know we are back in business, just like before. If anything, my exhaust whistle works better???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 07:08 pm:

Hey Erich,
About 16 gauge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 10:35 pm:

I blew a couple awhile back , timing issues that turned out to be a woggled out hole in the spark control rod. had a mufler shop weld the seams also enlarged the the holes in the muffler.

When mine blew, I was at the carwash, all the Chicanos that were polishing their cars ducked real quick, sounded like a .357Mag from a snubby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 11:10 pm:

Erich - Everybody is blowing up mufflers and nobody answered your question:

It's been a couple years ago now, but one that I bought was reportedly one of the "bad batch" and indeed, it would not clear the hogshead when installed, until I took it down to a local muffler shop and had them "readjust" a couple of the bends to what I thought would work. It still wasn't quite right, but does clear the hogshead and worked out okay. I don't know if the factory (wherever that is) has made a correction or not. At the time I bought mine, I was told that the stainless steel ones are made correctly, but I couldn't really justify the cost, so I "made do" with the standard steel pipe with the wrong kinks. Perhaps someone will now add more up to date info,........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 11:11 pm:

Erich - Everybody is blowing up mufflers and nobody really answered your question:

It's been a couple years ago now, but one that I bought was reportedly one of the "bad batch" and indeed, it would not clear the hogshead when installed, until I took it down to a local muffler shop and had them "readjust" a couple of the bends to what I thought would work. It still wasn't quite right, but does clear the hogshead and worked out okay. I don't know if the factory (wherever that is) has made a correction or not. At the time I bought mine, I was told that the stainless steel ones are made correctly, but I couldn't really justify the cost, so I "made do" with the standard steel pipe with the wrong kinks. Perhaps someone will now add more up to date info,........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 11:13 pm:

Dang! Got distracted and did the double-post thing,...sorry!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration