Old Photo - Brass Era Speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Brass Era Speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 04:53 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 10:49 pm:

Neat picture. Appears to be a very early Model T with the winged Ford on the radiator and one piece spindles.

detail

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:06 pm:

That is actually car #1 from the New York to Seattle race.

1212 Michigan license registration is the proof.

Car #2 had 212 license registration on the grill - a 1000 lower number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison (Vancouver Washington) on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 12:26 pm:

Good Eye Erik!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 12:57 pm:

The canvas covered enclosure behind the seat looks different in this picture than it did during the race. It's more rounded and in the race picture (and all other pictures I've seen) the "enclosure looks more "squared up". And I'd swear that I'm seeing a Model T radiator cap and filler neck at the top rear of that enclosure in Jay's picture. (Spare radiator?) There's also what looks like some sort of slightly larger "fill pipe" or something closer to the seat back. Could there be a couple extra tanks under that canvas for fuel/water/oil,....??? I'm thinking gasoline tank for sure as I see fuel line and valving next to the frame under the driver. Strange that the fuel line is not on the carburetor side, but then I suppose the valve(s) were placed in that location for easy access by the driver. The more ya' look, the more ya' see! Another great photo Jay!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 01:03 pm:

Well shoot! The more I look at the picture of both cars together, I think the right rear corner of that "enclosure" on the 1212 car (#1) actually DOES look more rounded than the more square looking back corner on the 212 car (#2). I always thought those cars were identical, but now I don't think so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 01:07 pm:

Hmmmm,....maybe "the plan" was for the #1 car to carry extra fuel/oil/water under that "enclosure" and the #2 car to carry tools, parts, equipment, etc.

Okay,....I'll shut up now, but these photos do make for interesting comparison,.........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 02:25 pm:

I had never noticed the straps on the front axle. They appear to be leather with buckles. I suppose they will limit the downward axle movement.

Has anyone more info?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 09:24 pm:

Rebound straps. Bouncing over rough roads could cause spring problems. My '23 White has ones made of webbing on the rear axle. Not sure how common they were.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 12:23 am:

I'm betting it is not the same car as either of the first 2 racers. Missing the side lamp brackets. BUT! I'll also bet it was manufactured close to the first two cars as it definitely looks like the same construction. Was it made up for another race? Is that a fuel tank or what? The rear looks very different to me. ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 07:47 am:

The passenger looks like Stan Laurel from Laurel and Hardy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 08:17 am:

The driver is Frank Kulick, Ford Motor Company's top race car driver for years (and driver of car #1 in the O2O race).

Car #1 was in the lead a good portion of the way, and Kulick had some choice comments about a pilot car that led them (#1) far off course late in the race, allowing #2 and the Shawmut to reach Seattle first and second.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 10:06 am:

Another bit of confusion? Here is a photo from the Henry Ford of car no 2

Car no 2

It clearly shows the 1212 MICH painted on the radiator. Was this the number that Ford used for all of their prototype cars as a manufacturers license number?

Here is car no 2, stuck in the mud, showing two caps behind the drivers seat and missing the axle snubbers.

car no 2 stuck

For your consideration

Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 12:31 am:

The first photo, supplied by Nor Cal Jay, it looks like the gasoline tank under that cover. It clearly looks to be mounted front-to-back. Several later photos of car number two show the gasoline tank to be mounted cross ways high behind the seats. You can almost see the end of the tank in the photo posted by Ron D above.
I would like to know if those are "manufacturer" registration numbers or not. If they are, we could be looking at three different cars. The first car does not appear to be quite like the later photos of the two cross country cars, nor does it look quite like the known early photos I have seen before of the two cars. The car could easily have been altered very early between photos. So it really is difficult to know for sure.
Thank you Jay! And all.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 10:02 am:

Wayne,

According to this web site from the state of Michigan http://www.hal.state.mi.us/mhc/autoshow/l_plates/1905-09.html the number 1212 would have been issued in 1905 as a "permanent" registration. Like you, I am suspicious that these were some kind of manufacturers plates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 11:38 am:

I agree that 1212 was probably the manufacturers registration assigned to Ford Motor Company.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration