Floor boards

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Floor boards
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 06:31 pm:

Hi Guys..

Newbie...restoring a 16 touring. I'm replacing the floor boards with new wood.

I am considering staining them to match the firewall, steering wheel, and spokes - then polyurethane, or just painting them black.

I'm afraid the poly would get scratched up pretty quickly.

Any finishes you guys like for floorboards?

Thanks!

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 06:56 pm:

Michael

Do you still have those original floorboards? I restored a 1916 Touring two years ago and the rear boards were toast. I put in some oak, but it just never looked right. If your rear board aren't too bad, would you consider selling them???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 07:09 pm:

Sent you a msg Bill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 07:28 pm:

I used a poly floor runner that you can buy at any home improvement store. You can cut it to fit the individual boards and attach it using finish nails or small brads. When it gets bad looking in 10 years, replace the covering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 07:53 pm:

Michael - FYI -- The firewall, steering wheel, wheel spokes, and floorboards ALL were painted black originally. And there was a rubber mat over the floorboards, so they would not get scratched up by foot traffic. The mat was white or off-white originally, but those are difficult to find these days. Most of the parts vendors carry them in black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 09:35 pm:

Yea.. I do have a set of the black floor mats. I had forgotten about those as added protection.

I wish Henry had better taste. My stained spokes, steering wheel and firewall really look pretty cool. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Voss on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 09:59 pm:

A clear finish that will last is spar. It is a boat finish I use on my hard wood floors in my house 20 years ago and still does not look to bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 10:34 pm:

Tim - If it's the stuff I'm thinking of, it just appeared in another thread; I think what you're talking about is Minwax Helmsman Spar Varnish,......great stuff!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 06:41 am:

My understanding is that the rear floorboards on my '15 Touring are original.

They appear to be painted (stained, really) a very flat black which has sort of faded to very dark gray with hint of blue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 10:33 am:

Our '19 Centerdoor has all the factory wood and the floorboards are a black wash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 02:07 pm:

Same with my '19 Runabout.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration