Clincher Rims - Out of Round

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Clincher Rims - Out of Round
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:09 pm:

Trying to decide what to do about my 30 X 3 clincher front wheels that have excessive runout. I've checked the tires and determined that my rims are the culprit.
I've measured just a touch over 3/32" runout, out of round, which causes more vibration than I like a speeds especially between the 35 and 45 or 50 mph. Above that seems like they smooth out nicely but I'm sure that's not the case. I'm running 6 to 8 oz of dynabeads in each tire.

Anyone know who makes new rims? I see the ad in VF for McLaren but think there may be others as well? I wonder how true there new rims are?

Thanks
Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:23 pm:

For what they cost, they should be perfect.

Coker sells Stanweld rims, made in Chattanooga.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:34 pm:

Gene,
I don't trust your dynabeads! Check your balance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:39 pm:

Thanks Steve, I'll have to ask some questions from the suppliers.
I see the T suppliers have them for $145. but wonder what amount of radial runoout they might have. I've heard that they may differ in the exact size of the ID?
This measurement is very important to me. If the ID is slightly smaller than old rims then I can reuse my fellows and my newer spokes. I was told some of the new rims were a bit larger which would cause a lot of additional cost requiring mostly new wood.

The new hickory spokes and fellows were replaced about 6 years ago but with my old rims. Ya, I know. I hope others read this and don't make the same mistake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:44 pm:

Ya Mike, I have thought that they might get stuck together if anything like moisture or ?? is inside the tube. I did really feel a difference when I first installed them though. That was a few years ago.

Anyone know how much radial runoout is acceptable?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:51 pm:

I vote for out of balance also, especially if it goes away after a certain speed. An out of balance tire will often shake badly at 30 - 35 mph and then smooth out as speed increases beyond that, up to about 65 or 70 when it will begin to shake again. This was very noticeable on the old on-the-car spin balancers where a wheel would be spun up to a very high speed. Modern computer balancers don't spin a wheel very fast so you do not see this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 12:04 am:

Gene, if you jack up the front wheels and put a chalk mark at the bottom, do they always stop with the chalk mark at the bottom? I've never used dynabeads. I use stick on weights and even solder twisted around spokes on my T's that run highway speeds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 12:16 am:

Gene is talking about out of round runout, no amount of any balancing can't fix that.

My question, can the rim be tweaked back into a round shape?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 12:17 am:

Oops -

Gene is talking about out of round runout, no amount of any balancing CAN fix that.

My question, can the rim be tweaked back into a round shape?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Wilson on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 02:00 am:

Gene,
Unless your rim is bent in one area, I'm guessing your fellows may be out of round which will cause the rim to be out of round. The fellows can be trued by gluing a thin strip of wood to the outside and then machining the outside diameter on a milling machine. I did this to my front wheels. Machining the fellow was easy. Determining what diameter to shoot for and how to measure it was the challenge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 08:58 am:

Is the hole for the hub in the center? Have heard that on some "rebuilt wheels". Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 01:34 am:

Your right Art, the fellows are out of round. Measuring across thru the center to the edge of the fellow where it contacts the rim, One is 3/16 different the in another area. This probably distorts the rim.
Your method of truing the fellow sounds like a good fix. Didn't get an time today for any more checking. Pretty sure the hub is centered though.
Thanks for the thoughts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 07:27 am:

3/32" seems like a don't care.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 11:05 pm:

Ya I know Royce, But you know how you put up with something you know isn't just right for a long long time and sometimes you just say to yourself, "I'm going to fix that".

Well I drove the car again today to the OC T club inspection day at Tom Leroux with Ralph Ricks and ya the front wheels caused a little shaking but I just opened it up a little more and I didn't notice it quite so much. Sure hate to mess up the nice finished spokes and rims for a bit of a smoother ride. As I see the touring season starting to get filled up I hate to deal with the down time.

See you guys on down the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 11:31 pm:

I wonder if the dyna beads are causing the problem. 3/32 seems negligible and is probably within manufacturing tolerance. Or maybe the tires themselves are the culprit?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration