Do you recognize these rear fender 1915 Coupelet

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Do you recognize these rear fender 1915 Coupelet
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ake Osterdahl on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 02:09 am:

This Model T Coupelet 1915 has rear fender that I never seen before.

Ake

http://books.google.se/books?id=dvZjf-4qbeAC&pg=PA92&lpg=PA92&dq=1918+model+t+coupelet&source=bl&ots=0mHYNFbVv6&sig=uVNVtwYeKdATJJ9S6WZYAkJw4o4&hl=sv&sa=X&ei=3dPYUoi6GciC4gTX7oCoAg&ved=0CG0Q6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=1918%20model%20t%20coupelet&f=false

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ake Osterdahl on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 02:11 am:

Front fenders are also special to...?
Ake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 02:17 am:

Ake - You're right,.....they look to be a slightly different shape than U.S.A. Ford factory fenders,......somewhat more rounded in cross section. And the front fenders have the same odd, slightly different shape to them too. That looks like an old Model T era photograph, so I'm guessing that the car is totally unknown nowadays, right? Interesting post Ake,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 07:36 am:

I started a thread about that car a couple years ago. Click here to see more pictures of it and video:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/333797.html?1357783293

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 10:47 am:

The fenders in the photo posted by Ake do not match the fenders in the January 8, 2013 thread.

Also -

The Prestolite tank in Ake's photo is on the driver's side. The tank in the Jan 2013 thread is on the passenger side.

The bodies do seem to match, though. Very boxy compared to the production coupelet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 10:57 am:

That is an interesting picture, for sure. Royce, I don't believe that's the same car that you posted earlier. That one's fenders were flat side-to-side, with "sharp" edges. These are more rounded, with rounded edges, like a Model A's fenders.

Also interesting is the fact that the fenders in Ake's post are not evenly formed -- they are irregular in their curves. It looks as if they might have been beat up, like an old fender, but I doubt that's the case. More likely, they just hadn't figured out how to make the curves smooth at that time.

The car has shiny paint, as if it's new. Or newly-restored, but it seems to me that if it were old enough to have Model A-type fenders, it would have had its lights electrified.

The headlamps obviously are gas lamps; the tail lamp looks like an E&J #7, and the cowl lamps might be E&J #6's, although I can't tell for sure. Those are features consistent with late-'14 Coupelet prototype pics we've seen before, but those fenders are something entirely different from all the Coupelet prototypes I've seen.

The radiator and hood shape look like Ford. Maybe this is a car that Fisher put together to show Ford what the new Coupelet might look like?

Ake -- Thank you for posting this. It's very interesting, and yet another piece of the 1,000-piece jigsaw puzzle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 11:02 am:

Also note the door handle and hinges.

The hinges on both cars are at the front of the door and the handles are at the rear, opposite of the production cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 03:43 pm:

The hood has no louvers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 03:44 pm:

It also looks as though the back has a top lid rather than the end opening of the early ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 05:51 pm:

I completely missed the part about the reverse-opening doors! And the turtle does appear to have a lid on the top, but the lid is smaller than production Coupelets. Fisher was making some similar bodies for other manufacturers; maybe this is one of those on a Ford chassis? I still can't help speculating that this is something Fisher threw together as a demo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 06:07 pm:

The radiator looks like a brass radiator. Are U sure it is even a '15.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 07:01 pm:

Here are the two side by side. I think they may be two different body manufacturer's (Fisher and Beaudette for example) proposals for the new Couplet style expected to be produced in 1915 model year. Both would have been made in 1914 I suspect.

Or they could both be the same body makers proposals with two styles of fender and an option for which side the carbide tank was on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 08:43 pm:

I agree that both cars probably were built in '14. It's interesting that both of these "proposals" have doors hinged at the front. The bodies and lamps, radiators, and hoods do look very similar, even though the fenders are totally different. I wonder whether the splash shields have "the bulge"? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 09:07 pm:

I had not seen Lindsay Brooke's new book (the link in Ake's first post, above) or I certainly would have brought the pic of this car to everyone's attention. Thank you, Ake, for doing so.

Those of us who are interested in the early Coupelets are fascinated by this kind of information, represented by early photographs of the various real cars. That car and the one posted by Royce are certainly significant in the overall scheme of things, even if today we can only guess at what they represent.

Like the "Klaxon horn which was standard equipment on '15 Fords", I expect that someday, with more research, we will learn what was the real significance of these unusual cars.

Just as Rob's research into the Model K and other pre-Model T Fords isn't everyone's cup of "T", for those who are interested in it, there are some amazing revelations to be learned. I know that not everyone here is enthralled with early Coupelet details, but several of us are, and what better venue to share it than this wonderful forum? Thanks.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration