Mystery radiator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Mystery radiator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 04:43 am:

This radiator is in Australia. Can anyone tell me has it been a ''T'' being marketed as a YORK.
Or is it an after market radiator shell made by YORK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 04:58 am:

Fascinating find, Bob. I can find nothing about a 'York', but I surmise that about 80 years ago it might have been a 'New York'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 05:12 am:

Hi Dane, The radiator is in WA . Could have it been made in town of YORK in WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 10:10 am:

A company called York made Depot Hack bodies called "Suburban." I wonder if they had a specialty radiator shell to put on to the car?

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 11:12 am:

Bob this is off topic. I recogonize your name from somewhere. Did you or do you have a Reliable Dayton Highwheeler. I have a 1908 Runabout and I think I recogonize your name as one of the other 9 owners. Thanks ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 02:30 pm:

Hi Donnie, I did once own a a RELIABLE DAYTON buggy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 06:53 pm:

Bob: I thought so. How man Bob Trevans could there be in Austrailia that likes old cars. I think you were from Lismore NSW at that time. I think I sent you a package of all the info I had at the time but not sure. Funny how some things I remember from years ago, and I can not remember what I was doing 10 minutes ago. If you have any info on the car you used to have I would love to have info of where it is and owner contact if possible. Im keeping a record of the cars as best I can. As far as I can tell there are only 8 known cars with a possible 2 more that were owned years ago that I have not found yet. PM me if you have anything Thanks ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 12:32 pm:

York was a company in New York state that sold replacement sheet metal parts for the Model T in the 20s. They made Fenders, Hoods, Radiator Shrouds and such.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Kramer on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 12:59 pm:

Hi Donnie,
There is a 1906 Reliable Dayton surrey,on the DesertClassics.com web site.I found it in the Restored car section under all makes convertibles.Is this one you know about ? I think they are located in Butte Montana.
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 09:31 pm:

Scott. Yes it is one of the 8 known. They will not answer me as to info about the car. I would like a few pics and details to add to my data base, but they will not help. They did answer one e-mail and said it has no engine, and they do not want to sell it till they get it going. We re-cast almost an entire engine, using my engine for patterns. It was for another engineless car in Tenn. We could re-do another engine and I could connect them with the correct trans to use for patterns for their car and they would have a complete car. But they are too hard for me to deal with ... They are more likely to win the mega lottery than to find an engine. Thanks for the info about the car. I think there are at least two more out there to find from the info I have ... Thanks again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim york on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 01:51 am:

Fred, do you have any info on the York company in New York state? I have one of the York radiator shells and am looking for info on it. Thanks Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 04:13 am:

I have a York Co booklet it gives information on their bodies and sheet metal and other products including fenders BUT no mention of radiator shells.

Bob, if Jim has one also it could possible be its not an Australian product but imported from USA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 04:27 am:

Hi Donnie ,Just found a picture of my RELIABLE DAYTON when found --And one when restored

MY E/MAIL bob @bob trevan.com.au

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 08:51 pm:

The York Sheet Metal Co was in York Pennsylvania. I made a mistake using my memory. Jim I will send you a jpg on these guys.. Fred

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 09:45 pm:

I don't know anything about the radiator, but if you Google "York Hoover" you can learn about the York Body Company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 07:43 pm:

Bob

I found A York Radiator at our local swap about 4 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 07:47 pm:

Bob

Here is the booklet that mentions Fenders, Hood etc but no Radiator Surround

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 07:49 pm:

The diamond shape of the company logo is correct so there could be some link

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 08:51 pm:

Being from York, Pennsylvania and knowing a little bit about local history, I think the discussion is now talking about two different companies. The York Body Company, a maker of wood bodies, went on to manufacturer burial caskets and still exists today (after mergers and acquisitions) in that business, as per my Google reference above. The sheet metal brochure reproduced above is from the York Corrugating Company, which was known in the past for making auto parts such as fenders, and which exists today as a plumbing and heating supply company and custom sheet metal fabricator. I would think the radiator may well have come from Corrugating. They have one of those operations that has been in the same group of old factory buildings forever. It wouldn't surprise me if they still had some T era drawings or tooling hidden somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 09:00 pm:

See

http://www.ycprecision.com/custom-metal-precision-history.html

For York Corrugating's history and manufacture of parts for the Model T Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:29 am:

Mark, there might be some sort of a connection between the two companies, York Body Corporation and York Corrugating Co or they both made these type of parts, as Fenders and other parts are listed in a York Body Corp book that I have not a York Corrugating Co book.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration