Drive shaft housing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Drive shaft housing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Hedges on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 11:41 am:

Just replaced the babbit in my rear axle,the front part of the driveshaft housing where the ball is has about a 1/2 hole in it does it face up or down,took it apart and didnt see it until I went to put it back togeather, thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 11:43 am:

the hole lines up with the grease cup in the cap. should be up really, but either would work i suppose

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 11:55 am:

Up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 12:28 pm:

I have a Warford, so mine faces down so it's easier to get to. The driveshaft one is a zerk fitting, hopefully Lang's will get moved in to their new building and start making the big brass one with a zerk fitting again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 02:16 pm:

I've seen a number of cars where the hole was on the bottom and the ball cap and bushing lube point had zerk fittings. I wouldn't trust a grease cup on the bottom as you could easily loose the cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 01:32 am:

Jack,
UP only! The grease cup goes on top. From 09 to 27!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 01:39 am:

I put mine down with a Zerk fitting for ease of access.

tt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 02:47 am:

I put mine up and added a 90 degree zerk for access. No need to take out the floor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 01:55 pm:

Guess as long as the hole in the drive shaft tube ball lines up so the grease goes in if you use a zerk it should not matter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 11:14 pm:

If you have it on the bottom you'll have a hard time getting grease up to the top of the ball. I simply used an elbow at the top so gravity moves the grease down as you drive. doesn't need much.

BTW Does that new Layne leak at the shifters?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 01:11 am:

Hi Gene, Yup...but there is a fix, see this link for some discussion a few years ago.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/227678.html?1312388818

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 07:33 am:

Wayne, in my experience, the breather installed on the later KC Warfords certainly slows down the leak, but I would not call it a fix.

I vented mine by drilling the filler plug and fitting a hose barb and a piece of plastic hose which terminated just under the floorboards. I wired a king pin oiler into the end as a dust cap. It simply pumped oil up higher and out the end of the hose. Not to be outdone, I installed a longer hose, up through the body, over the gas tank and part way down the other side, and still it passed oil.

The McMaster car sintered bronze breather, fitted as they now come from Layne, is better, but the breather itself still passes oil, and oil still seeps past the selector rails. I just live with it now.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 11:24 am:

I'm wondering where the babbit in your rear axle is? You have me puzzled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Holcomb, Watertown WI on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 11:33 am:

I think he is talking about the thrust washers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 12:36 pm:

Model A's have a hole drilled in the shifting tower for venting, maybe that would work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 03:03 pm:

Here's a easy way to fix those leaky shifter rods on the Warfords. I have to give Credit to Ed Archer for the tip.

Remove the shifter lid and the shifter rods. Go to hardware store and get a piece of copper tubing just large enough to fit over the shifter rod and 4 end caps. Open up the holes in the lid slightly on the outside just enough to fit the copper tubes in and then replace the shifter rods thru the copper sleaves. Install the caps on the end, no more leaking!
I used epoxy to glue the copper to the alum and solder at the ends for the copper.

Thanks ED, works perfect!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration