1924 Fordor Mixture Control missing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1924 Fordor Mixture Control missing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 12:15 pm:

This will do doubt be the first of many questions about my new car.

It has a choke control but no mixture control. Is the double hole shown on the dash original and, if so, what should be there? For the moment I have jury-rigged a control so I can test it.

Also is the hole off to the left up the top also original and what should be there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 12:31 pm:

Are you sure it's missing? Look under the dash on the firewall, there should be a thick rod with a triangular shaped bent end on it like so. The rod to the right of the mixture rod is the choke rod (ignore the fuse holder, it is a later addition):

rod01

The other end of the mixture rod ends in a U-shaped piece that fits into the top of the mixture adjusting needle on the carburetor, like so:

rod02

I'm not sure how your dash got the double hole, mine only has one for the choke, maybe others can comment?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 12:37 pm:

No, there was nothing connected to the carb - I have rigged something very similar to what you show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 12:46 pm:

One difference I just noted - rather than the 2 hole top on the jet, my carb has a swivel with a long arm with a square hole down the centre. Looks to me a bit like a Model A setup, I could imagine a square rod being able to slide up and also operate the choke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 01:01 pm:

Your mixture needle is a 26-7 set up that operated the choke and mixture using one rod. The parts can be adapted to your vehicle, but the correct set up is the one Mark shows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 01:08 pm:

Sounds like your carb is set up for the later single rod setup, does it look like this? If so, the mixture control and choke function are combined into one control on the dash.

rod03

Can someone more knowledgeable than I comment on when the later setup started showing up in production?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 01:27 pm:

I had a 1925 touring with the single control, I suspect it appeared during 1925 year. My 24 coupe has two controls, essentially as shown in the above pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 02:31 pm:

My 1925 had the single-rod setup. My 1923 has the double-rod setup. When I did some asking around about whether I could convert the '23 to single-rod, I learned:

1: The single-rod setup was designed for the "improved" cars starting in '26, but it started being used some time in 1925.

2: Conversion from double-rod to single-rod might be harder than you think, because the geometry is different. It would require a different hole in the firewall, and a different 'slope' to the rod. On the other hand, all necessary parts are probably available.

What I glean from #2 in your case, is that you can probably tell by the location of the hole in the firewall, which is correct for your car. Does a rod through the dash hole, then through the firewall hole, end up at a bell-crank on the firewall (next to the oil can in the photo above) that then operates the choke crank on the carb (two-rod setup), or somewhere several inches above the carb, to accommodate the setup shown so well in the drawing above with part numbers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 02:42 pm:

Best I can tell, the double hole in your dash, and the hole above and to the left, are not original. They are probably remnants of some previous owner's work, either trying to modify something or adding some kind of accessory. Remember, the Model T was the most widely-accessorized car in history. Until the late 1950's, catalogs such as Western Auto, Sears, Montgomery Ward, and countless others, had at least 20 pages of parts and accessories for the Model T. Part of the reason was owners' new-found interest in 'gadgets,' and part was the fact that there were so many T's around, all essentially the same. You could get ANYTHING to add to a Model T.

Boy, how I wish some of those things were available today!

Back to the holes in your dash -- on both my T's, the hole in the dash was not simply a hole. It was a cup-shaped dimple in the dash, with a hole in it. Clearly, yours was butchered for some reason. What you choose to do about it is up to you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 10:36 am:

Thanks for all the help and the photos.

Interestingly, Langs list the combination design as '24 to '27, and my firewall seems to have factory holes which allow either type. As Linda wants to drive this car and she is familiar with the Model A style, I'm going that route. I'm not keen on the delving under the dash style.

I seem to remember seeing an aftermarket carb with a double knob dash adjuster setup, which could explain the figure-of-eight dash hole. I'll just have to make a plate to hide it.

The threaded rod you see is my temporary adjuster, which lines up nicely with the hole in the dash.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration