T's and Four Legged Family Members

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: T's and Four Legged Family Members
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Mulrooney on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 05:35 pm:

Anyone who loves to have their 4 legged companions join them on rides will appreciate this. I tried, unsuccessfully to get "my wife's" poodle to get into the car ( I will explain the poodle part at the end). She loves car rides but became a bit unsure when the car leaned towards her as she stepped onto the running boards (she weighs 105lbs and counting). Sooo, I came up with the most brilliant idea of opening both rear doors and strategically placing her favorite treats from the running board on one side to the running board on the other and everywhere in between. As you can see from the pictures, my ingenious efforts were very successful. She is now very comfortable entering and exiting the car, the only problem now is she checks the car every 5 minutes to see if any more treats have miraculously appeared. LOL As for the "poodle" part. My wife left the house one day intent on adopting a poodle mix of some kind. What she ended up coming home with was a very wonderful, adorable Saint Bernard/Mastiff mix we named Bella. Now, to figure out how to adapt a way to protect her from jumping out of the car at inappropriate times. Has anyone adapted a harness, lead or other system that works?Daddy, all the treats are gone...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Glowacki on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 05:55 pm:

That's a cool looking ride. Like a ghost car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 07:08 pm:

Until you have a steering wheel, your dog restraint problem can stay on the back burner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 07:35 pm:

Awww,
Ya don't need no steering wheel. Just slip a box wrench on the steering post nut and go. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 07:58 pm:

Large Vice Grips make great steering wheels!

I love the dog!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 09:35 pm:

I had a dog that loved to ride in the touring and bark at the neighbor dogs. I had him on a leash anchored behind the seat to keep him in. I shortened it after the time he jumped out and ended up hanging by his neck against the side of the car. That can scratch up your paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 11:13 pm:

My 82 pound german shorthair mix has always loved riding in cars with the window down just to the point where she could lean herself against it to steady herself. When it came time for her to ride in the touring car she was very comfortable standing on the seat looking out. She also likes riding on the four wheeler, on the trailer when it's behind the four wheeler, on the zero radius mower while sitting in front of the seat. But I have to confess the two of us go riding along the back roads and look into the yards around the lakes for rabbits and squirrels. In the summer our "hunting" trips are really looked forward too. On one of the trips early last spring, she became overzealous and started going out over the top of the side. As she was leaving I got a good grip on her tail and stopped her about half way over the top. It only took a few seconds of her and I correcting our behavior and she never went after another one. A couple months ago I adopted a 1 year old yellow lab. I think the shorthair's days of riding in the car are over. It seems my ex-wife thinks she should be her dog exclusively. Now when I talk about that female being a bitch I guess there's more to it than I thought. At any rate the lab will be learning to ride in the touring car at some point to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 09:33 am:

For some strange reason, our American Bulldog attacks my 14 Touring when I pull it out of the garage. He'll bark at it and try and bite the tires!!! We haven't tried to get the 100+ pounder in the car yet, although he does love car rides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 10:05 am:

Steve...love the pic of that dog, love your paint analogy too! That's why we'll never take ours for a ride in the T's...so we "reserve" the Model A for her! She loves the big back seat, I roll the windows down just enough for her to get her snoot out as I dont want her whole head out for fear of a "bug attack". All I have to do is start the A out in the barn and she hears it and starts whining in the house! They're not dumb! Gonna probly have to sell the A in a couple of years or less, but hate too as it's "her car"
Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 10:10 am:

Steve, I love your picture, it reminds me that it will be only a couple more months before the Forsythias bloom again in the early spring!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 11:45 am:

My Molly (a cockapoo) will run around like a nut after I stop the car and let her out. Then when I get out she bites my feet (fun bite) as I put them on the running board to step down. She LOVES a ride in the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 11:49 am:

Used to have a Model A coupe and when we first got the car, our dog would jump right up and sit on the ledge behind the front seat. That's where she would ride. Sorry I don't have any pictures. I used to ride there too when I was very small.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wahrendorff on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 01:39 pm:

Our dog Goober loves to ride in the T as you can tell.

model t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 06:46 pm:

Here's mine. Don't shoot it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 07:08 pm:

LOL Dave! I see claws out on the back feet, sure hope it's de-clawed on the front!! Like Steve said.. "might scratch the paint"!! Pretty cat otherwise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 07:13 pm:

Mikey liked the Touring about as much as my wife did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 09:15 pm:

Hey Tim, I knew someone would notice the claws. He has them in the front too. A moment after that pic was taken, he tried to climb that fender and slid back down. No damage though. The urethane paint and 100 coats of wax makes for a pretty tough finish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 10:58 pm:

This little guy was on a tour we went on last year.
dog01

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 12:10 am:

These guys are regulars at Chickasha.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration