Old Photo, OT, this looks very dangerous

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo, OT, this looks very dangerous
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 09:14 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 11:41 pm:

The only part of it that's dangerous is trying to hook it and get it to stop before it goes off the end of the flight deck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 12:02 am:

Looks safe enough to me, I have launched a power glider out of the back of a pick up, but that is not going to happen here as the plane is rather well tethered

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 12:11 am:

Yeah, but the guy on the front of the trailer appears to be awfully close to the prop!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 12:39 am:

Nice White truck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 12:44 am:

The car is a gasoline powered White truck. Interesting airplane, anyone know what type it is?

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 06:09 am:

If I was going to make a stab at it, I'd say it's one of the Curtiss JN (Jenny) series.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 07:23 am:

I know the prop is spinning, but it may not be an actual prop. If it were, I would think it would suck the hats off the two guys sitting in front of it. Either way, it looks like an OSHA nightmare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 09:54 am:

I think I would nominate that situation as "The Bone Head Stunt of the Month", if that was a parade, I think an electric motor rigged to turn the prop slowly would be a better solution than running the engine at idle speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 09:59 am:

Look at the flags and the dust blowing up along the back edges of the trailer. That's a real, live prop. What are the guys thinking sitting in front of it? Anything??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 10:00 am:

Holy Crap!! This could've ended up winning the "Fickle Finger of Fate" award!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 10:13 am:

Hope the driver didn't take off too fast. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 10:14 am:

If the car lurched forward, there would be a a huge explosion of red mist, followed by a gentle rain of fleshy raindrops on the crowd.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 10:20 am:

If that is a Parade they are going fairly slowly but if the driver pops the clutch the fellows sitting on the bed could fall backwards. They might be far enough away to avoid injury. I guess it's kind of late now to help them any.

As for the White, I believe this is a similar truck with a different wheel option. A nice lady at White Motor Co. sent me this nearly 50 years ago.

Wish there was a White Truck forum as good as this one.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 10:46 am:

No Problem. The guy on the float is wearing a St. Christopher's medal, so hopefully the last thing to go through his mind isn't the prop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 10:49 am:

I don't think he's quite that close to it. Maybe it's the angle but I think he could probably lean back until laying down and he'd never actually touch the prop. I wouldn't have a problem sitting there if I was as far forward as I think those guys are.

As for turning the prop with an electric motor - how many of the people at the parade have even SEEN an airplane before? Of any kind? Having it up and idling was probably one of the coolest things some of those folks saw at the parade. I'm usually the only car at car shows who routinely starts the engine up for people just because it's cool and folks love it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 10:59 am:

This is what happens when you become complacent. "It ain't gonna happen to me".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 12:42 pm:

Probably sounded like this at idle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3TN71kbdpw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 02:06 pm:

That doesn't look a Jenny radiator. OX-5 engines were used in other planes, too. They opened aviation to civilians where it had been primarily a military endeavor.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration