OT - Interstate battery ad. Name the tune.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - Interstate battery ad. Name the tune.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 11:01 am:

This is the cleverest advertisement on TV today.
http://www.ispot.tv/ad/75xY/interstate-batteries-swamp 31 sec
Click the full screen button. Hit Esc to return.
Turn up the sound.

The website says the music is , “Life’s a Gamble”.

It sounds more like the Nat King Cole’s song,
“Lets Face the Music and Dance’. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjJHnKw7YNA 2 min 22 sec
Enjoy the dance scene with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.

It’s hard to imagine that Nat King Cole (even though the star performer at a night club) couldn't use the restrooms in the 1930s because of segregation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 11:18 am:

He was the first of his race to have his own TV show.
I watched it every week.
Where I dance they play some of his music.
He was one of the greatest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 12:10 pm:

Nat Cole is great, but Let's Face the Music and Dance is by Irving Berlin. Most of the great songwriters of the era wrote either music or lyrics, but he did both. Nat Cole was one of the best pianists around, but gave it up to be a pop singing star. He was one of he best at that, too. I don't think he did any songwriting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 03:04 pm:

I enjoy that spot whenever I see/hear it. I'm not familiar with the tune, but the chord progression and melody sounds closer to "The Birth Of the Blues" to me. A lot of commercial spots use good old tunes by slightly altering the melody and chords so as to avoid having to pay royalties. Now they are starting to use original versions of tunes more and mare as the copyrights are running out.

Sammy Davis Jr., The Birth of the Blues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvlnrk-62ew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 05:13 pm:

Steve,
I used the Nat King Cole URL because it was the only way I could get to the hearing of the rhythm.

Terry, it does sound somewhat like "The Birth of the Blues". Here it is by Sinatra & Louis Armstrong. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sYdUGoIqUM

I still go with "Let's Face the Music and Dance"

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 06:16 pm:

Real clever ad. Too bad it isn't true, My experience with Instate batteries are that they'll fail before any other brand will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 07:33 pm:

Can anyone identify the car?

Here is a horrible thought.
sellcar

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 08:18 pm:

Eugene,

I enjoyed it a lot. I believe it is a 1953 Ford or a Ford close to that. Below are some photos of 1953 Ford from the internet:

Dash shot from 1953 Ford that is for sale:

Dash from the advertisement

Although sometimes car makers had very similar dashes for a couple or more years in a row.

Someone that is more familiar with the 1950 Fords can probably better pin point the year and model for you.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 09:49 pm:

Gosh, Hap.
You can't get any closer than that.

Gene

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration