UTAH MODEL T'ERS

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: UTAH MODEL T'ERS
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Deckman, Ogden Utah on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 01:09 pm:

Well, itís a new Year, and itís going to be a great year! We have enough people interested in a Model T club, here in Utah. At the moment there are 36 interested, people thus far.

I am still looking for interest in the Utah club; members do not need to be located in Utah, to be a member.

SO LETíS HEAR FROM YOU!

We are sending letters out so we can meet and start the process. Once the paperwork is in order we can officially start the club and begin the registration process. This includes but is not limited to; the bylaws, the approved name of the club, and officers appointed.

Please respond here PM me or call Doug Jenkins @ (801) 725-0207.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 02:12 pm:

Andrew Deckman:

Let me warn you about one facet of starting a club, I have started THREE clubs in three areas of Colorado. Make sure you have strong by-laws and one of the strongest is you MUST own or be interested in MODEL Ts. If you don't limit the club to Model Ts it will soon be attracting every thing and their dog. NOT TOO LONG you will be having tours with only one T showing up. By then you will find T owners dropping out of the club one by one.
I know it is temping that when you are first starting you club to build membership to allow any thing to join, but eventually you will be sorry.
EXAMPLE; In one of the clubs which is no longer listed in the Vintage Ford had a mystery tour. On a mystery tour you have to follow the person in front of you and you are responsible to see that the person behind you knows where you are turning. The club had been admitting hot rods, street rods and 1940 or newer cars. Of coarse the hot rods and newer cars soon ran off and left the only T behind. The T owner had no way to know where to go and went home and quit the club
. I see that club is no longer listed in the Vintage Ford. That club stayed in MFTCA for number of years for the insurance. When they sent their rooster in they would omit all the owners who had newer cars.

Another club that was a model T club is strictly newer cars. The last time I went anywhere with them was Grand Lake and I was the only one in the club that went with a model T. Needless to say that was the last tour I went with them.

Please don't take it that I am against newer cars, I like newer cars, I just like to tour with other Ts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 02:12 pm:

Andrew Deckman:

Let me warn you about one facet of starting a club, I have started THREE clubs in three areas of Colorado. Make sure you have strong by-laws and one of the strongest is you MUST own or be interested in MODEL Ts. If you don't limit the club to Model Ts it will soon be attracting every thing and their dog. NOT TOO LONG you will be having tours with only one T showing up. By then you will find T owners dropping out of the club one by one.
I know it is temping that when you are first starting you club to build membership to allow any thing to join, but eventually you will be sorry.
EXAMPLE; In one of the clubs which is no longer listed in the Vintage Ford had a mystery tour. On a mystery tour you have to follow the person in front of you and you are responsible to see that the person behind you knows where you are turning. The club had been admitting hot rods, street rods and 1940 or newer cars. Of coarse the hot rods and newer cars soon ran off and left the only T behind. The T owner had no way to know where to go and went home and quit the club
. I see that club is no longer listed in the Vintage Ford. That club stayed in MFTCA for number of years for the insurance. When they sent their rooster in they would omit all the owners who had newer cars.

Another club that was a model T club is strictly newer cars. The last time I went anywhere with them was Grand Lake and I was the only one in the club that went with a model T. Needless to say that was the last tour I went with them.

Please don't take it that I am against newer cars, I like newer cars, I just like to tour with other Ts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 04:53 pm:

What Dave said was worth saying twice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 04:57 pm:

I tend to agree. I tend to agree.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Deckman, Ogden Utah on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 05:37 pm:

lol lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 06:09 pm:

Andrew are you getting much feed out of Salt Lake? I would think that a city as large as Salt Lake would have some interest. I know there is some interest in Utah in model Ts, because I send parts to Utah.
I have found out one thing after being in clubs since about 1970 that people love to eat. You will increase your attendants at meetings a lot by having meetings in a good cafť. Of coarse you need a room where you can be by yourself and conduct a meeting. The wives like to get out once a month for a meal, they don't have to cook, and a lot of the men like to eat out
I was in what used to be a T club that met in a MORTUARY. The mortician would come in and tell us to keep the noise down because there was relatives of the deceased in the next room. It got down to about 10 members at a meeting. I was elected president and the first thing I did was move the meetings to a nice restaurant. We picked up a lot of new members and was up to 50 members.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 09:16 pm:

Andrew - Our club has our monthly meetings at one of several area restaurants/cafes, except that it's a 10:00am breakfast meeting, always on the 1st Saturday of the month. The breakfast thing works out well, as quite often, at least some of us end up at someone's shop or garage for a work party after the breakfast meeting. It's a good way to help out a club member who has a problem that's more than he can handle, or perhaps age or physical limitations call for some help. Also, it's amazing how much power there is in "collective thinking"! If no work party, sometimes an "impromptu tour" for whoever wants to go. The thing is, with the breakfast meeting, there's lots of "daylight" left for lots of options for the rest of the day. Just something to think about in starting a new club. One other thing though,....however you start out your regular club meetings, it's worth considering carefully, because people very quickly get used to regular meeting times and dates and if it becomes necessary to change later on, you might loose members,......FWIW,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 03:14 pm:

Good idea Andrew, I like it and just think when you organize a tour there it's close enough that you can draw some California guys to attend. Maybe even someone that just wants to come back to Ogden and see the KC plant there again.
Good Luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug jenkins Plain City Utah on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 05:58 pm:

Thanks for all of your thoughts they are great. I do belong too a model A club in Ogden Utah and at first I didn't have a model A so when they would go on a tour I would drive my 1972 chevelle this is much faster than a model A, but I didn't want to miss out on the fun and or socializing,but I would allways put myself at the end of the line because it is about the model A not my chevelle and I was part of the group, that is how it should work. Not everybody is going to have a model T to drive on the tours but we want them to be part of the group and have some fun and socialize. In a model T it's not how fast you can get thier, its all about the destination the scenery the friendship and the socializing. With this new club I would like to see all to benefit from it. wish us good luck. If any of you know of any interested model T'ers please let us know or give them are information. This form is a great asset to us all THANKS DOUG JENKINS EMAIL-holjenki66@hotmail.com cell(801)725-0207 0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 06:57 pm:

In our local club we have about 115 members. But we do have a faction that do not own Model T's and have absolutely no interest in owning one. As one off them said, why would I want a car that won't go fast and breaks down a lot. All they want is a social club.

On our tours you can drive a modern car, but you must stay behind the T's. This does add a buffer between us and traffic and keeps the speeds to T speed.

That being said, we have had members get cars because they saw us having so much fun driving them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 08:44 pm:

On one of our T Tours, several of the members lived close to each other and broke off the tour to take a direct way home instead of going back to the starting point. They did not notice a few Ts behind them until about an hour passed and those Ts were turned around and drove 40 miles extra to get back to the starting point rather late.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 11:14 am:

Hey James,
I( had that happen to me in a funeral, not everyone knows that a funeral has the right of way and that no one is supposed to stop at a stop sign after the hearse has gone through, someone in the funeral stopped and allowed a none funeral car to enter the procession (a $100 fine in Idaho if you get caught) and then everyone who did not know where the cemetery was followed them to their house.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 11:25 am:

Great advice given by Dave Huson....right on!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 04:31 pm:

Don't expect too many T's on local Model T Club tours. The San Diego club has nearly 100 families, yet we only get 3-12 cars on a tour. The Hidden Valley Club (Escondido) does a little better with 30 families and 4-6 cars on a tour. In general most people love Model T folks, they are special, but putting up with a T and slow speed is another matter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 04:48 pm:

Tony - Don't take this as "sarcasm", because it's certainly not meant that way, but I've lived in several different parts of the USA, and have driven extensively in every state in the "lower 48", and I think you'll agree that there are areas in the USA that are more (or less) tolerant of Model T's on a tour. California is one state where I've experienced driving (in modern iron) what I consider to be much too much OVER the speed limit, but still felt like I was in most everybody's way! With a red Miata with out-of-state plates, you only dare to exceed posted speed limit just so much, and I just considered that those CA drivers blowing their horns and waving to me with one finger just might not have been considering that! Maybe Utah folks are not quite that way, I don't know,......FWIW,........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 04:52 pm:

Andrew, i will join your group even though i am five days away, i lived in Ogden for several years, on Glasmann Way.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Deckman, Ogden Utah on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 12:14 am:

Rick

I just wanted to ask if you have offered this in the past? As I have been looking for someone that said that a while back. Please PM me your Name address, email address and phone #. Thank you for your interest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 12:31 am:

Harold - No offence taken.
The posted "speed limit" is usually taken as the MINIMUM speed. When I drive up to LA I usually have a passenger so use the "car pool" lane. Even though the speed limit is 65 mph, we usually run up at over 75 even 80, and cars build up behind me, scary...
Naturally I refuse to drive a T on any SC freeway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Deckman, Ogden Utah on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 03:58 pm:

We are now upto 42 people as of now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 11:32 pm:

Andrew Deckman:

If you contact Jay Klehfoth he can send you a list of all members close to your Zip Code. At least he sent it to me when I was building up the Northern Colorado Model T Club. If you ever get close to Berthoud, I would give you a Rooster for the MTFCA. It would have all the Utah members in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 02:35 am:

There is a club in Kansas City(MTFCI) that me and my old buddy(now passed on) thought about joining back in the '80's. One of their requirements was that you had to have a driveable Model T before you could join. Neither of us did at that time, and if we had, we still wouldn't(and didn't) join. To us, that just didn't promote the T hobby. I have heard that now there are just a few members left. Such a shame. At one time they were very active, and could have encouraged younger people to join and enjoy the tours and fellowship of Model T'ers. On the other hand, I was encouraged to join a club in S.E. KS. at about the same time. I didn't join, but only because we were so far away that we wouldn't have been able to participate in any of their activities, but I sure appreciated the offer. Just something for those that are starting a new club to think about. Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration