1915 Horn Location

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1915 Horn Location
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 12:20 am:

Does anybody have pictures of the correct location for the bulb horn on a 1915 firewall? I know mine is not mounted correctly now and I'd like to correct it as I'll be replacing the firewall in the near future.

I would also like pictures of the correct bracket for mounting the horn bulb to the steering column.

I have the correct horn, I do not have the bracket for the steering column but I am interested in buying one if anybody has one they'll part with....

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 12:42 am:

Should have searched first, found lots of threads with my answers on location.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 08:17 am:

This is a good opportunity to put all the information in one place. Here's a shot at it - if anyone has good pictures of the 1915 Couplet or Center door horn mounting this would be a great place to add those pictures too.

Here is a group of 1915 firewalls being built. The horn mount is the one to mount to the body side:

The Torpedo Runabout and Touring body styles have the horn mounted to the body side. There is a block of wood in the body structure for this purpose. Examples of USA Torpedo and Touring:

The horn bulb would be mounted to the steering column on USA or Canadian built 1915 Town Car, Couplet, or Center Door body styles. Additionally the bare chassis would have the horn mounted to the column.

Canadian 1915's all have the steering column mount because there is no stationary body side - both front doors open. Here's a Canadian steering column mounted 1915 Horn bulb:

The horn for 1915 is unique to that model year. It has the reed mounted at the end of the hose near the horn bulb, unlike any other year Model T bulb horn. The reason the reed is mounted there is due to the horn having a 90 degree fitting where the hose connects to the horn at the firewall, again unique to 1915. The bracket that secures the horn to the firewall is again unique to 1915, being sort of diamond shaped. Horns were supplied by Standard Thermometer, Rubes, and Non Pariel manufacturers. All were entirely made of brass, and painted black originally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 08:22 am:

This picture is the only one I have that shows a true original steering column mount. The car is Jim Finney's 1914 Town Car. The same bracket would have been used in USA built Town Car, Couplet, Center Door, and bare chassis. Note that the bulb mounts above the steering column, NOT to the side or below.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 11:04 am:

I don't think Ford would have gone to the trouble to install a pocket in the drivers door!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 12:28 pm:

It's my understanding that the '15 closed cars all came with electric (mag) horns.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 03:20 pm:

The '13, '14, and '15 horn setups all have the reeds in the horn bulb sleeve. On the '09-'12 horns it is at the horn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 06:32 pm:

On a 15 it is almost self dictating there is very limited space between the block and the steering column and inside there is also very limited space for the two screws between the steering column bracket and the coil box. It just can't go any where else. There are several vendors that have parts I purchased all my parts from Restoration Supply in CA. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 06:43 pm:

The horn I had mounted previously was an earlier one and did not have a diamond base., so it would not mount in the correct location. I bought a complete '15 horn setup a few years ago in Bakersfield with the diamond base and plan to mount it now. This horn is complete including the mount and the bulb although the bulb is cracked, but the reed works great and everything is there. R. V.; you may remember the horn, I showed it to you at the swap meet. The bulb on the horn is approximately 3.75" diameter.

This horn has no manufacturer mark anywhere on the bell itself, which I thought was interesting.

I've got to get the pistons back in and do a quick valve job, then bring it home. I'll mount the horn at that time. The car does not have a dash shield on it now, so I think I'll get that and mount it with the horn so everything lines up. The firewall has been but for steering column removal without removing the pitman arm but it doesn't look like that will cause problems with the horn location.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 07:31 am:

RV,

I've owned perhaps a dozen 1913 - 14 horns (see the picture, not the oval mounting base). All but one was threaded in the location marked by the arrow both on the outside (for the hose) and on the inside (for the reed to screw in). The one exception had the reed soldered in the end.

The '15 horns never have threads in the end fitting. I've only owned perhaps five or six of them so the sample size is smaller.

Of course this is only fossil evidence, and I can't say that I know the history from new of any of the horns. But the evidence is really strong that the reed was intended to mount at the firewall end of the hose in 1913 - 14.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration