OT - About a Photo, Powerhouse Museum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - About a Photo, Powerhouse Museum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 04:57 am:

Take a bow, Hap and Rob. The Powerhouse Museum has now included information that you sent them in relation to the Model N engine in their care.

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=214762&utm_source=api&u tm_medium=api&utm_campaign=828f4d948d537cf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 08:22 am:

Dane,

Thank you for initially posting the photos of Model N Ford engine # 1708 on the forum or none of this would have happened. At the thread at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/319593.html?1353465573 back in Oct 2012 you shared the photo below:

At that time the engine was listed as “Engine of a Ford car. Period about 1904.” Which was only 2 years off – not bad for someone not familiar with the early Ford engines. Rob, Jerry Van, you and several others contributed to the discussion [which like many of them also included several other engines and cars] and three of us e-mailed the museum with recommendations. I’m glad that so many of museums are willing to work with us and others to more accurately describe the cars, engines, photos etc. that they have. It makes it easier for others in the future as they try to figure out what type of engine, chassis, car etc. they have run across either in the barn or an old photo etc.

I believe the current description the museum is using is much more accurate than the previous one. Once I’m caught up at work, I will send them one more note just to clarify that the information we have indicates the Ford Model N chassis with that engine number was sent from Ford USA to Ford of Canada on Nov 21, 1906 [based on Trent’s Early Ford Database]. The chassis would have been fitted with a Model N body, fenders etc. produced in Canada and then the car [not just a chassis as listed on the museum’s description] would have been shipped on Nov 27, 1906 to Sydney, Australia.

[Note for anyone having an early 1904-1908 or so Ford that was distributed overseas by Ford of Canada, there are some excellent records saying when they were shipped, where they were shipped, type tires, etc. That information is included in the DVD that comes with “Pate’s Early Ford Automobile Encyclopedia” and was compiled by John Biggs (thank you John!) from the original Ford of Canada ledgers held in the University of Windsor. (See: http://web4.uwindsor.ca/units/archive/ford.nsf The ledgers cover other dates also specifically see: http://web4.uwindsor.ca/units/archive/ford.nsf/inToc/ECEE31B4D82D10ED85256A4000507B60?OpenDocument John was allowed to use his digital camera to take pictures of the ledgers. Then he put the information into the computer table/spreadsheet. If anyone lives near the University of Windsor and would be willing to take additional digital photos of some of the later ledgers please contact me. If you click on my name at the beginning of the posting it brings up my profile. My e-mail address is the third line down or you can send me a private message using the same page.)

Again thank you to everyone for helping to better document our cars early histories and how to keep them on the road safely. [For those younger drivers the public road is probably illegal but a large yard, vacant lot, or vacant parking lot can give you some good practice. Before I had a driver’s license I used to drive our Ts around the 1 acre yard my Dad had. You could even get into high gear, but not for long before it was time to slow down to turn.]

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration