Rootlieb speedster fenders

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Rootlieb speedster fenders
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 08:55 am:

I have rootlieb curved rear speedster fenders and the radius is loose, does not match radius of tire very well. I have seen many cars in which the curve of the fender is nicely following the tire and adds to a nice finished look. What is the best way to adjust the shape of this curved rear fender?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Butterworth on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 10:46 am:

David , pictures would help . I have used many sets and
they always fit well .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 11:24 am:

Im not able to get a actual pic today but I will load up some pics of what im talking about. Not realy a bad fit issue. Its a idea of fine tuning because so many speedsters dont get the attention that can make them great. The white car is the shape I currently have and the yellow car is what I hope to achieve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 11:52 am:

You have two different diameter wheels being depicted. The wheels on the white car look to be later 21 in wheels while the wheels on the yellow car look to be earlier 30 in wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 12:05 pm:

I will be using the larger 30 inch wheels, but the curve or radius of the fenders in much different. If you take the wheels away and only look at the fenders you can see what im trying to show, small differance but a big differance to the eye in proportion and looking "right" The wheel car which belongs to a forum member look more curved and nicer to me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 12:16 pm:

David
The solution is to makes a set to the curve you want. About 40 hours and $3,000.00. No problem time and money won't solve. In the past I have made custom fenders for odd cars

The problem with trying to "adjust" the curve is you need to change not only the outside edge, but also the shape of the "skirt"

I'm sure someone in your part of the world will take your money and make some new ones for you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 12:32 pm:

Two comments; the fenders on the white car are more pleasing to the eye while the one on the yellow car look kinked.
21 and 30 inch tires both have the approx same outside diameter which is about 30 inches depending on the tires used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 12:40 pm:

Obviously Les knows a lot more about this than I do, but his comment reflects what I was thinking. From a practical point of view there's no way to "adjust" the fender curve. If it's really important to you, it's gonna cost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 12:45 pm:

David, is the car lowered? That will certainly affect the relationship between the curves.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 12:53 pm:

The car really will not be lowered, perhaps only a reversed eye main leaf to make the distance betwwen the fender and tire better if needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Syverson on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 12:58 pm:

Dave, the fenders on the yellow car came from Rootlieb around 1985. I know this because my dad and I made up that speedster and I was selling Rootlieb fenders back then. So, if the fenders you have are from Rootlieb I would think they would be the same shape.sprs2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Syverson on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 01:04 pm:

The yellow speedster was lowered a bit with a reverse bent spring on the front . The rear was lowered by removing the rear crossmember and relocating it about 3 in. higher (about).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 01:06 pm:

I do have the same fenders, just that mine are only about five years old. I was thinking that something had to have been done to the car you built, perhaps thats not the case, maybe just a small amount and I do mean small amount of flexing of the fender to get it just right will be all I need. Any ideas how just coax things to fit better, while not drastically changing the fender

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 01:11 pm:

Thank you ray, This forum and its input is always great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Syverson on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 01:21 pm:

Dave, nothing was done to the fenders to affect their shape at all. Lowering the rear to match what you do on the front will go a long way to making the fender/ tire fit look better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 01:46 pm:

Looks like a bit of playing around with everything while all is still bare metal! No big deal, I know while working with the model t, that everything needs love to be nice. of course thats why everyone who post here loves these old car! And thank you to everyone for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 02:08 pm:

The fenders on the yellow speedster do have much more of a curve to them. Maybe they are actually 1911 Torpedo instead of speedster?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 02:39 pm:

Here is a 1911 style speedster with Torpedo Roadster fenders and skirts. Looks similar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 02:46 pm:

Mark, I think you may be right, sweet car btw! I will get a good pic of my fender tomarrow for a good comparison

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 03:21 pm:

The fenders on the yellow car looks like they were hit from behind. They're not even a true radius. Looks messed up to me.

To decrease the radius, you need to remove the Ribbon and the Skirt and shape those as well as the top. The top should follow the shape of the ribbon and skirt. If you don't, you'll end up with the "wrecked" look of the yellow car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 03:48 pm:

I agree Ken. Only two choices available from Rootlieb are the speedster and torpedo fenders and the crown appears similar. It really does look as if someone may have damaged the fenders on the yellow car. Are both sides the same and is there any visible damage present on the back edge?

Thanks for the positive words David. We elected to go with the torpedo fenders to give a more finished look and then built the body to suite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 03:50 pm:

On a side not. The yellow rear fenders only have one fender bracket as opposed to the two required for the early 1911 Torpedo rear fenders. Look like the yellow fenders are full skirt Rootlieb speedster fenders to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 03:55 pm:

Mark, I choose the rootlieb speedster fenders. Years ago I visited the aaca museum and fell in love with the grey model k roadster and intended to build a model t inspired buy, but but exact to it! I think that the speedster fenders out there just seem to be all a bit different, thats fine, human hands built them. That yellow car was also inspiration and is finished to a very high level. This pic hangs above my work bench

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 04:42 pm:

Beautiful car. Post a few pics when you get a chance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Ledbetter on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 03:26 pm:

I have a set of speedster front fenders that have never been mounted to a car one is missing the metal along one edge they look like the one used on the model k but I am not sure

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 03:33 pm:

Thank you lonnie, I do already have the rootlieb straight front speedster fenders, they resemble the fender on a model k, then again a model k is only my inspiration, hope I get even a little close!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration