Transmission disassembly

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Transmission disassembly
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thompson on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 11:05 am:

Any tips on taking trans apart? Have very rusty one, have the drive plate off, and the drums won't budge. I modified a puller for the inside, that came off o.k. How do the drums come off?
( 1919 )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 11:12 am:

Once you get the clutch apart,the rest should lift off . You have to remove all triple gears at one time. If to rusty,soak it with some penetrating oil for a few days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 11:19 am:

You also need to take the driven gear off to take the drums apart.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 11:22 am:

Remove the clutch drum using a puller, after removing the clutch discs

Then remove the key, and spacer washer

As Jack said, use penetrating Kroil oil or equilv. And a little pry bar should lift off the drums in a unit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thompson on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 11:24 am:

Thanks guys, that is what I thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 12:04 pm:

Sometimes it takes a little persuasion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 07:49 pm:

I had one that had been half buried in a barn. I soaked it with 50/50 ATF and acetone mix for 12 hours and pulled it apart with a small puller.
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in South Africa on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 01:31 am:

Hi Dan,

Looking at one of your pictures... Could you please tell me... to remove the top (driven?) gear, do I use a puller and a piece of shafting cut to fit over the bush as shown?

Much appreciated,

Justin
South Africa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 02:50 am:

Yes, you press on the brake drum shaft and pull on the driven gear. It's a tough pull..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philippe BROST, France on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 03:19 am:

The pinion is a press fit with 2 keys on the brake drum shaft. It can be very hard to pull and maybe you have to warm it but not too much not to damage the gear.
The puller must push not on the bronze bushing but on the shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 03:20 am:

Justin :
To remove the driven gear #3317 ,I use a home made puller some time they are very stubborn.
163R
164R
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in South Africa on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 06:57 am:

Thanks guys,

I hope I don't have to use heat.. but if I do I will bring it into our workshop and let some more experienced guys do the work!

Regards
Justin
South Africa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 09:20 am:

While the tool is much better that Toon built, I just used a store bought puller. Have used it about 4 times with success so far.

Clutch spring compressor using old wheel plates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 09:26 am:

Justin, my bad, thought you meant the clutch drum, that driven gear is removed by press as posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 10:24 am:

When working on a transmission I go to Wal-Mart and buy 2 gallons of mineral spirits and soak the whole transmission in a tub that is just big enough to hold the transmission.
If your not in a hurry let it set up and forget about it for a while. You will be amazed how much easier it comes apart. AND how much cleaner it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in South Africa on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 12:40 pm:

Thanks guys,

I will do the mineral spirits idea... I like when I don't have to battle too much..

By the way, I made the Ford home made press that I saw in one of the manuals. But I used 4 off m16 threaded rods and two large pieces of channel iron. Using a 6 ton jack. Bit overkill.

Made an easy job of getting the clutch spring out...So I am happy.

Thanks guys,
Justin
South Africa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 02:01 pm:

When pulling drums and triple gears, I always knock out the main shaft first, and then pry on the out side of the triple gears upward, comes off easy.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration