Model TT 26 rear wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Model TT 26 rear wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kenny on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 04:02 pm:

How do these rims look,if good sandblast and paint then send out to have wood done

(Message edited by admin on January 25, 2014)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 04:12 pm:

What's wrong with the wood?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 04:44 pm:

The wheels look fine to me too. I'd clean them up, paint them and run them. The wood looks OK unless there's rot that doesn't show up in the photos. How do they sound when you tap them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kenny on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 05:30 pm:

the wood has rot,and they measure 21 inch and have another set that measure 23 inchwhat is correct for 26 tt c cab

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 05:40 pm:

Unless the spokes are loose, are punky or otherwise unsound...then paint/coat them with a penetrating epoxy wood restorer. Cracks are OK. What do you call rot and how much is there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 07:17 pm:

After looking at these, while they're not super bad, super good, the real question is, what shape are the rims in? I suspect you have the two-piece so-called "widow makers" with the locking snap ring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 08:41 pm:

The Model T Truck did not get the famed "Widow Maker Rims" so not to worry. Some of the AA trucks did though as these rims were made all the way into the Early Sixties.
Your wheels and spokes look good, as long as they are tight I would just clean them up and run them.

This is a picture of a Widow Maker Rim.
widow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 10:27 pm:

Kenny,
I'm no expert, but I've heard the earlier trucks had the 23's and later had 20's. Which ones do you have good rims for? My 25 has 20's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 10:42 pm:

The hubs, drums, and felloes look OK to blast and paint. I can't tell from the pictures whether the wood is good enough to keep or not. You don't show the rims, so no comment on them.

While Ford may not have supplied snap ring rims on the TT, there are a lot of Ton Trucks that have them now. If that's what you have, be careful. I had new tires mounted on mine by a tire shop where they work on a lot of farm equipment and know how to do it without getting killed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 08:33 am:

Fred, I'm glad you had a picture to post of the real widow maker, I've heard everything called that on this forum except the right thing. I had no picture to post. I ran these on old trucks years ago and always worried about them staying together. I will not air a low tire on the truck (unless an inside dual) without chaining them. I have seen them come apart while running down the highway. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 09:36 am:

I did find a picture of the widowmaker for those interested. KGB

(Message edited by admin on January 25, 2014)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kenny on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 11:19 am:

i called stutzman wheel.called bunch of times left messages,still no call back

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 11:41 am:

I don't mean to labor this point, but I have 20" rims on the rear of my TT. They are of the type that have a locking ring, unlike the picture posted by Keith, that is just a ring that expands and pops into a groove on the rim. The ring only comes into contact with the outer edge of the tire bead.

I have always thought, apparently erroneously, that these were the infamous widow makers. I can see hazard in the type I have if you're not careful, but they never seemed as dangerous to me as the discussion about "widow makers". I guess this thread explains it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 12:36 pm:

Henry, that is true. The picture I posted is actually not to scale as the real thing had even less to hold it together. You had to start the rim halves together at one side and spring them out of shape to get them together, then you could not see if they were really seated as they should be. Chain them up or put them in a cage and hope for the best. Of course years of rust and corrosion didn't help either. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 03:07 pm:

As a teenager I worked in a tire store. Did lots of farm tires and large truck. I would take the snap ring rims any day over the one Keith showed. I always hated those. The UPS vans in the 70's still used those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 08:23 am:

Great information! I have the snap rings. Pays to be careful with the old rims no matter the style.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration