Metallurgy question regarding roadster pickup irons

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Metallurgy question regarding roadster pickup irons
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert E. (Bob) Blackbourn, Gautier Ms. on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 09:02 pm:

I'm about to start building a pickup bed for my '25 roadster and need to fabricate the hardware. What size and type of flat bar should I use (hot rolled, cold rolled etc)
Thanks in advance,
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 09:35 pm:

I used 1/4 X 1 hot rolled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 09:36 pm:

Use whatever you think will look best for what you're building! On this pic of my depot hack you can see where I used 1" flat bar for tailgate hinges and latches, 2" for my seat backs, round stock for support of the sides, and 1/8 sheet steel for the support of post to top. I look around the barn to see what I have, then sit around the house at night and do my planning. Also, as discussed in another thread, you can see what happens to 2 coats of Spar Varnish when exposed to daily sun for two years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 09:41 pm:

Correction to my post/hack pictured above--the tailgate latches were angle iron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 10:14 am:

Mike was that marine grade spare varnish or spar-urethane (spell checkers will have to deal with it) The marine grade has a lot more UV protection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert E. (Bob) Blackbourn, Gautier Ms. on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 11:40 am:

I was searching for some minimum bend radius info and came across this:
"The bending test is used for determining the bending ability of material by bending material to specific bending radius or angle. The cross section of testing sample might be any shape such as square, sphere etc."
I thought a sphere was a ball. How would someone go about bending a ball, and WHY?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 12:33 pm:

If you hot bend (red hot), the minimum radius should really not be a problem. Really only a issue cold bending. If it cracks on the outside of the bend then you will know you have a problem!!!
Hot rolled is probably more traditionally correct

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 01:17 pm:

Donnie, I don't remember. I do recall damaging the can and pouring it into a glass gallon jar, so, I no longer have the can. Probably the latter--I think that came from Lowes. My TT's not as bad after 15 years, and, I remember getting it from the boat supply place in FL.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration