Hit and miss engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Hit and miss engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike dixon on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 10:21 pm:

I just bought a fairfield railroad hit and miss engine, havent heard it run, I think I need an ignition system, would a model t coil system work? anyone know about this thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 10:39 pm:

fairmont? is that what you mean? you perhaps already know of the club that runs those things on tours, on the rails, with rr permission. allways sounded like big fun to me. sorry, i do not know the ignition, but aren't they 2cycl, using reverse rotation for reverse?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 10:51 pm:

Clayton, One cylinder or the two? Is this for the inspection car? The single cylinder can work on a T coil. The two can also using a two coil box. Their are rail road guys who did this. How many of them are still around??? I know of a few of those cars sitting but not for sale. I wanted one of their engine set ups for a two cylinder parade car that I had intended to make and have collected parts for for years now. They are NOT running. Some are yard art!! In Nixa Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 10:56 pm:

i think the two seater "put puts" we called them were 1 cyl, but the bigger gang cars may have been more, i am no expert in this field, i just always liked em. i am in minnesota, and they were built in fairmont up untill not too long ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william schaller on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 11:06 pm:

It is not a hit and miss. It does use a model T style coil. it will be loud. Go over to smokstak to learn about them. parts http://www.fredericksburgshops.com/king2cycle.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 12:37 am:

If you have a complete Fairfield you're lucky.......that's one rare engine....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike dixon on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 07:59 am:

its a faimmont , same as fairfield?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 08:04 am:

the fairmont i have is two cycle,it will run in both direction,don't forget to use oil mix if yours is like mine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 08:42 am:

Check out the Smokestak website Mike, They have loads of info, Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 04:12 pm:

I hope this link works >>> http://www.smokstak.com/search.htm?cx=partner-pub-1816232865955920%3Ajkn662-apoe &cof=FORID%3A11&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=fairfield+engine&sa=Search

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 05:03 pm:

as rosanne rosannadana would have said...never mind

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 05:20 pm:

I think you mean Emily Litella:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Litella

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike dixon on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 09:53 pm:

how do I wire it up does anyone have a wiring diagram would love to get this thing running thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike dixon on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 09:55 pm:

how do I wire it up does anyone have a wiring diagram would love to get this thing running thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 10:48 pm:

You may find something here Mike.

http://www.narcoa.org/newsite/tech.htm

Although I have a complete diagram for a typical railroad jigger, I can't find it. I swear, when I retire I'm gonna find everything I've ever lost ... and then probably loose it all again !! I'll keep looking anyways.

Good luck! I rode many miles early in my career on various jiggers and honestly don't miss them at all. Summers were great - winters were absolute hell.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 11:40 pm:

Mike:

Believe it or not I make a new coil for the Fairmont. It is Fairmont part number F7996. There was a fellow who passed away that approached me to make them for him since he had a small hobby business making parts for the Fairmont. I still have a few of them. His name was Les and he was a nice guy.

detroit picture D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 01:17 am:

Well, to make this T related, when I rebuilt my Fairmont engine, I used T piston rings--also ran it for a while on a modified T coil, but then I got one from the guy who made them before John started making them. I still have the motorcar, but haven't run it for probably 15 years.
Somewhere in storage I have a lot of Fairmont information.
I also had the larger MT-19 with the Onan two cylinder engine, but I sold that a long time ago in a fit of "no money". Foolishly, I sold the motorcar trailer with it, so have no trailer to tow mine on now!!
I do have a Fairmont motorcar rail trailer, and use it to hold a stash of model T & A rims. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike dixon on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 09:41 pm:

john, id like to talk to you about the coil box, my cell is 618-401-5977, can you call me ? thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 11:01 pm:

This is one of those ran when parked. Sorry for all the junk around it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 11:17 pm:

This is a 2 cylinder here is a pic of the coil and carb. Will the alternator charge when running backwards?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Stitt-Southern Oregon on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:47 am:

Bob, yes.
I don't see a battery wire on the isolation diode. Don't excite it w/o one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 01:09 am:

Mike:

Didn't see your note til way past bed time. Sorry. Send me a PM and let me know what's a good time tomorrow or over the weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 03:34 am:

Th3e "coil box" was a metal box on the side of the frame, it also held other supplies, like RR torpedoes, etc. I never quite figured out how the box was held in, think they had some wood pieces in the box.
Although that alternator bracket looks "funky" I do believe it to be factory.
The 2 Cylinder Onan I picked up at the auction of the SP shops in Sacramento. Looked like it had sat a long time, but with a little carb cleaning, it ran! Ran it on many railroads, including the McCloud, which is mostly gone now, and the Almanor, which is all gone. On the McCloud, I towed a dead car that died on the tour. For an unrestored "as found" car, it ran like a top!
My One cylinder car is on the kid's video 'Itgo and the Time Trains"
There should be an air cleaner on that carb, I think the one sold for model As fits.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration