Timer spring missing, temp fix wanted

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Timer spring missing, temp fix wanted
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Fusi on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 10:38 pm:

My 1921 TT stranded me on the road this afternoon.
The short story is that I found the spring was missing on the timer roller. I checked a couple of online retailers and didn't find just the spring .... so order a new roller. Does anyone have a temp fix while I wait for the new roller. I was going to look through my "collection" for a spring that might work. Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions are welcome. Granddaughter's birthday party this week and was planning on taking her and her friends for a ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 10:47 pm:

Check the springs at a local hardware store. You might get lucky and find something that will work until you get your new roller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 10:51 pm:

Take the spring out of a click pen and shorten it to get proper tension.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 10:58 pm:

sounds like has been there done that! would that be an old real pen? or the new junk they sell now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 04:03 am:

Some old typewriters have little springs that may work. A rubber-band can get you home, don't expect it to last long however.
Ever since a friend had a timer roller disintegrate on the freeway some years ago, leaving him on a small exit island, I have tried to carry a spare roller in the car. I make sure it has a good spring. The timer itself can go bad, but usually will continue to allow you to limp home. Roller pin cuts apart and you are sitting.
I also recommend the click-pen spring borrow. They are usually available. Again, like the rubber-band, don't expect it to last long. But it should get you several miles. Also remember with the click-pen spring, it is the wrong type, a compression spring whereas the timer roller spring is a pull type. But it is a coil spring close enough in size to cut and bend a bit to make it work, It will not have enough coils/turns to work well and that is part of why it won't last long.

One of the truest joys of model Ts, is the challenge, and ingenuity to roadside fix those pesky little breakdowns.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 04:10 am:

And while we are on the subject. Someone just beat me out of a small box of timer parts on ebad yesterday. It looked like maybe a half dozen fixable rollers and two timers. One turned to not show the important side to see if there was any hope to use it. The other was half a two-piece Milwaukee that looked decent, and I have the other half.
Oh well. Congratulations! And sorry about running your cost up. I hate doing that to people.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 07:20 am:

Auto parts stores carry an assortment of O rings and one of the small ones would last longer than a rubber band.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 06:41 pm:

Disposable lighters sometimes have springs in them that might fit in an anderson timer. Not sure if they would fit in a ford roller timer though.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration