Old Photo - Old FORD Dealership

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Old FORD Dealership
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 10:53 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 11:50 am:

Skagway Alaska ?

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 12:34 pm:

I wonder how long it took to get to Whitehorse?? Getting fuel in Skagway in 2006 a fellow spotted my Model T jacket and asked if i wanted to see his Model T? That is how i met Jim Hamilton who was the Steam Engineer for the Yukon and White Pass Rail Road! Jim had a 15 touring that was Very Nice!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 02:20 pm:

I find it fascinating on how much bigger the Skagway Funeral Parlor is in comparison to the local Ford agent. And number two, what do you think that truck backed-up to the front door is there for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 02:55 pm:

With a limited mile of roads in Skagway, I'm surprised there was a Ford agency that early.. say around '17-'18.

Visited Skagway this past May, doesn't look like much has changed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 03:11 pm:

Bob,

When you were in Skagway this past May and "not much has changed" was the truck still backed into the funeral parlor?

They didn't need a big Ford agency...three Fords, three houses and two businesses. Every house already had a car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 03:21 pm:

Looks like a man on the sidewalk who is dying to get inside. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 03:23 pm:

Bob,By ship or land? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 03:29 pm:

The mountains have not changed much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 03:33 pm:

Geez, don't remember seeing a funeral parlor in town.... Still have the "boards" for a sidewalk, streets paved, and the "brothel". Wifey said don't come running back to me iffin' ya get somethin' . LOL

Flew into Seattle, took big boat north, Skagway, Some glacier via helicopter and dog sled run, ( did find a Radio Shack in Skagway though ), another glacier, Juneau, Ketchican, Vancouver..... Seattle, enjoyed the Public Market & tourist trap "original" Starbucks, Space Needle with lunch, Duck Tour, .......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 03:42 pm:

Geez, got a hankerin' for some crab cocktail from Seattle's Pike Place Fish Market.....

I was wearing my "Save the Shore" hoodie at the market where one of the guys pulled me aside to show me their website of his fellow workers wearing the same hoodie in support of rebuilding the New Jersey shore communities from the destruction of Super Storm Sandy Oct. 29, 2012.

Think of what your will, our Gov. Chris Christie is the best thing that happened to New Jersey in a long time, despite the recent political accusations, that will be proven to be unfounded in my opinion.

With his weight loss, we both will fit in my '26 Runabout ! .... there, that keeps it on topic.

Bob Jablonski

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 03:51 pm:

Skagway pictures..... who can find the funeral parlor ???

https://www.google.com/search?q=photos+of+skagway+alaska&tbm=isch&source=iu&imgi l=Ww9VBAWncy95gM%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com%252Fima ges%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcTMViZxPh1NEXhNFdQ-4GQn1aD9Q-vlcfwPdGiuKDWpOtbLP0Td%2 53B259%253B185%253Bg1-CyCfM52rAMM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fskagway.com%25252 F&sa=X&ei=44vdUuSiO_OmsQTZgIG4Ag&ved=0CCsQ9QEwAA&biw=1534&bih=837#facrc=_&imgrc= Ww9VBAWncy95gM%253A%3Bg1-CyCfM52rAMM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fskagway.com%252Fwp-con tent%252Fuploads%252F2012%252F01%252Fskagwayvideo.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fskagw ay.com%252F%3B259%3B185

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 04:07 pm:

Speaking of the funeral parlor,did you get time to visit the cemerty?? Hard to belive but it's a great touriest attraction itself!Did you visit the railroad shop? The picture of the small falls looks like the ones on the backside of the graveyard.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 04:11 pm:

Yup Ken, saw the cemetery alongside the railroad tracks and grave of the "famous" gunslinger, didn't get to the RR shop though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 04:50 pm:

Interior views of the Red Onion. The first is the wife. Just visiting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 05:00 pm:

Looked like they were busy. With all of those old guys, was it next to the undertakers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 05:13 pm:

At the end of the White Pass & Yukon Route rail road excursion we went to the Liarsville Salmon Bake. Best open air grilled salmon ever. Liarsville is a replication of a gold rush shanty town. They put on a pretty good stage show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 05:15 pm:

Sorry for the duplicate picture. It didn't show up on my preview.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 06:04 pm:

First pic:

Form-a-truck at the undertaker? Then a delivery van on the right and.... a Towncar? Do you suppose Skagway was big enough to support a Taxi service?

From Wikipedia:

I bet the fellow in the Town car is old Martin. He owns the Ford dealership and the undertaker business, probably lives upstairs there. His biggest claim to fame is his tourist business/hack service (taxi)... suppose the Towncar is for the hack service?

That man on the sidewalk sure looks like a medium sized Newfoundland dog to me. He was probably chilling out because of the summer heat!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 12:08 am:

Skagway was quite progressive back in the day. It's a little shocking to see a wheelchair ramp from the street to the sidewalk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 12:27 am:

Hey, could that "delivery van" actually be a hearse?

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 06:37 am:

Hey, it's still "deliverin' "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 09:39 am:

With a lack of snow and ice in the picture maybe the riders are out of cold storage for the last ride? I had a friend who died in late november in the western UP who was still there in 2014! Bud.PS We got to Skagway about 6/1/2006 and there was plenty of snow,ice,and waterfalls!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 11:29 am:

Here is a TT chassis we spied along main street in Skagway, March 2012...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 09:17 pm:

The '17 town car is a really rare sight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 03:05 am:

The photo was published in a book sold to tourist for .75 by Martin Itjen. The man in the car is Martin. He is shown in several other photos. The book has a Copyright 1941 and could be bought at Soapy Smith's old Saloon.
The name of the book is "The Story of the Tour on the Skagway, Alaska Street Car"
"Owned by Martin Itjen, who built the car and wrote this book--Henry made the chassis"

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration