Correct for 1915: Nuts for spool studs?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Correct for 1915: Nuts for spool studs?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 12:44 pm:

Looking in catalogues I see Ford #2584C drive shaft roller bearing nut listed as "special". How is it different from regular castle nuts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 01:06 pm:

Steve If I know which nut it is way, way, shorter. If I get some time today I will TRY and send you a picture of one. At one time I had a whole bucket of them. They are also very good when you ad a second front axle radius rod. If I remember (dangerous) they are also good for a 1926/27 Spare Tire goose neck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 01:07 pm:

According to the Ford parts list it's 13/32 x 16 thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 01:17 pm:

Aha! Yep, 13/32" is pretty special. Thanx.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 03:59 pm:

in the early books std was 3/8sx16 when the thread wore out then you used the 13/32. it was the thread in the housing that got louse. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 04:14 pm:

If you can get the tap and die you can save yourself some $$ by chasing and reusing the studs and nuts. Gary London sold some taps a while back as did Stan Howe. Stan may still have some available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 06:05 pm:

Steve -- I have one of those 13/32" taps I bought from Uncle Stan a while back. You're welcome to use it if you like. I don't think I have a die that size though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 06:39 pm:

Slightly off track here, but when I fitted the Moore transmission to my roadster I used a 3:1 gearset and they will not fit in the pumpkin hole. Nor can you build the gearbox into half the diff and then introduce the other half, because of the way the gearbox is assembled. In the end, I bolted the tailshaft bearing housing to the gearbox and then used socket head set screws to bolt the entire torque tube/gearbox assembly to the diff. Those set screws are 10mm x 1.5 pitch from memory. Whilst not an exact match for 13/32", they threaded in for the full depth in the housings, with just a tad of interference once fully engaged.

I know of another in Spokane done the same way.

Just for interest.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 09:18 pm:

Too late, Mike. I already ordered some from Bob on his free shipping day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 09:26 pm:

You paid $4 apiece for nuts??? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 10:02 pm:

No, they're only $3.10. Mister Thrifty went on a spending spree. If they're the same ones I have by the dozen in a drawer I'll not be a happy camper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 11:10 pm:

The special bolts and nuts are 3/8 + 1/32 16 TPI. The special taps were available some rears ago I have a fiew if them. There where sets of standard taps that were + 1/64,+1/32 and +1/16 for various applications usually warn castings.
The special bolts and nuts in the yoke were oversize to handle the extra stress. The bolts and nuts are still available. An oversize tap will have 3/8 + 1/32 stamped on it. Stay with the oversize bolts they are sized that way for a reason. Ford also used a special thread to retain the magnets on the flywheel they were 1/4 24 tpi, easily mistaken for standard fine thread of 1/4 28 Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 11:13 pm:

Dave,hate to tell you,but fly wheel magnet brass machine screws were #14-24 thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 11:30 pm:

I sold over 250 of those taps a few years ago and every one of them was stamped 13/32-16. I have probably 50 specialty taps from #2-72 to 1 inch-24 and have never seen a tap that was stamped with a + 1/32 or anything similar. Must not be too common.

Those numbered sizes were common in the day of the Model T. The machine screw sizes today usually end at 12-24 or 12-32 but in the day they were common all the way to size 20 with various numbers of threads. I have a couple old screw plates with odd threads that must have been made for a specific purpose.

Most carburetor companies used specific thread numbers. Most common are xx-24 but the screw in seats for many are 3/8-27. Most of the plugs use 24 TPI but not all. Some are as fine as 56 TPI.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 11:09 am:

And after you install them, don't try to use cotter pins!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 03:08 pm:

I'm with you Stan. In 40+ years of using taps & dies, I've never seen a +1/32 designation. These threads are not "oversize", they are just 13/32-16. (Is it then o.k. to say a 1/2-20 tap is really a 1/4-20 + 1/4" oversize? Answer: no)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 03:20 pm:

Speaking of odd sizes, I was just removing a U-joint grease cup and found that a 9/16" wrench was too small and a 5/8" was too big. The only 19/32" I have is a socket. I haven't checked any other big grease cups yet to see if they're the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 03:42 pm:

The bottom line in my post says 1/4 24 for the flywheel and it is easily mistaken for 1/4 28.

I have a box of possibly antique taps with the +1/64,+1/32 and +1/16 stamped on the taps. Perhaps different manufactures display them differently, but I do have them. It depends how you look at it, they may be considered oversize, standard or special. Cheers Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 03:54 pm:

The flywheel bolts are not 1/4 - 24, they are size 14 with 24 TPI. They can be re-tapped to 1/4 28 pretty easily or you can use #14-24 brass flat head screws, which is what they were originally.

For many years wrench sets came with a 19/32 open end wrench or open end/box end combination because of Ford's use of that size. Some were double open end with 19/32 on one end and various other odd sizes on the other end. I have a box somewhere that has some oddball sized open end wrenches. 19/32 wrenches were dropped from sets in the 50's to save one wrench. Montgomery Ward offered a single 19/32 wrench right up in to the 60's or early 70's as part of their tool line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 08:56 pm:

Stan Howe you are absolutely right. I chased the threads in my flywheel with a 1/4 24 and it fit real good however upon review when I re-inserted the 1/4 tap it was somewhat sloppy about .010 - .012 that is about the difference between 1/4 and #14, the 1/4 uses a #7 drill and the #14 uses a #3 drill. This would conclude that 1/4 will fit into a #14 hole however a #14 will not fit a 1/4. Thanks for correcting that for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 09:14 am:

We hake the # 14 correct screws for the original ring gear,Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 10:10 am:

19/32 open end wrenches aren't hard to find. The early T's use that size everywhere. BTW, I bought a 19/32 socket from McMaster Carr recently.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration