1913 Roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1913 Roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Jackson on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 02:05 pm:

Restoration is underway and it was noticed that the frame (motor in ) and the tires are on and properly inflated the car doe not sit level from side to side . Approximately 1.25 inches difference from side to side . Any thoughts ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 02:16 pm:

Springs centered? If you put weight on one side does it return to that position,or change?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 02:38 pm:

Springs sprung ?

Our '19 Centerdoor is beginning to do the "Gangster Lean" - will most likely need to re-spring the "Old Girl" !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 02:42 pm:

My 16 coupelet has the same issue and I found the front spring was off center about an 1" or so.

Still can't believe how my g'pa drove this car with the front suspension in such poor condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 07:18 pm:

ALSO; If you tighten your spring shackles too tight one side will not come back down after hitting a bump and you can be off as much as yours is. You must be able to move the spring shackles after you tighten the spring shackle nuts. In other words if you put your frame on a support you should be able to grab a wheel and move that end of the axle up and down.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 07:18 pm:

ALSO; If you tighten your spring shackles too tight one side will not come back down after hitting a bump and you can be off as much as yours is. You must be able to move the spring shackles after you tighten the spring shackle nuts. In other words if you put your frame on a support you should be able to grab a wheel and move that end of the axle up and down.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 10:25 am:

A problem I've seen with some of the spring tie bolts, is the heads are not thick enough to go up into the frame, especially if using a leather pad. Make sure yours will. The repros are usually not high enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 10:38 am:

If the spring is in the right place but still sagging towards one side, then it can be taken apart and each leaf bent to the right shape in a vice using a large pipe wrench or an exhaust pipe for leverage. Just don't bend at the center hole, it'll break. I rebent a rear spring last night that was too much lowered, 4" was too much - now it's more like 2 1/2" with less risk of the spring coming in contact with the axle housings :-)

My method for reworking leaf springs are shown in this post from last year: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/335975.html?1358662663

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william louis rosenthal on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 10:51 am:

Hello Larry:
What should the height of the tie bolt head be for the rear spring please? I'm making one up from scratch.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 11:11 am:

Here's a recent picture of an NOS tie bolt:

bolt1

Here's the thread that the picture came from:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/410243.html

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration