Home built HCCT finally finished

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Home built HCCT finally finished
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Clemens - NW Phoenix AZ on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 02:09 pm:

I finally finished my home built HCCT after a few technical difficulties and time away from working on it. A big thank you goes out to Bob Cascisa, Bob Scherzer and John at Fun Projects for assisting with parts and information on converting the Weston meter I found. I also used the Tillstrom plans to build the frame. It works great and I couldn't have done it without them. Thanks Again!

Randy Clemens

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 02:14 pm:

Very nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 02:51 pm:

Nice work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 06:36 pm:

Randy - it really looks super! Nice work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Smith on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 06:54 pm:

Rookie question. What does HCCT stand for and what does it test?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 06:55 pm:

Lonnie
Take a look..... 1
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 06:57 pm:

Lonnie Hand Cranked Coil Tester HCCT Should be clear now Nice job randy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 07:09 pm:

Lonnie
Please send me an email at modeltcoils@windstream.com and I will send you a copy of an original instruction manual that came with the Ford part number 18-Z-245 hand cranked coil tester.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 08:17 pm:

Sorry guys.
Make that modeltcoils@windstream.net
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 04:41 am:

Would this type of cheap ammeter work on a homemade HCCT? Ok, small size makes it hard to read, but will it show how much the coil draws accurately?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-0-3A-Round-Analog-Panel-Meter-Current-Measuring-Ammeter-Gauge-Black-/290913608968

ammeter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 10:11 am:

Roger:

While it might work OK you need to make absolutely sure that the movement is an iron vane type or says something like TRUE RMS reading movement since many AC movements these days are made by simply putting a diode in series with a DC movement and those are then calibrated using a pure sine wave which the magneto is most definitely not. I read the ebay data at your link and it is silent on that subject so I think I would be wary of it. 2 amp or even 1.5 amp movements are not that hard to find. Just look for the words "iron vane" or "true RMS" somewhere in the movement description. Avoid for sure any that say "rectifying type".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 10:25 am:

Thanks for the electronic insight :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Clemens - NW Phoenix AZ on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 08:50 pm:

Thanks everyone. It was a fun project, it just took me a little longer than it should have to finish. Ron, I sent you my email. Can I get a copy of the instructions as well? Thanks. Randy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 08:50 pm:

Roger,

I agree with Mr. Regan. I have purchased several of these low cost meters and they check OK on the test bench but they are not accurate at all on a HCCT.

A good alternative is the Weston model 433 or 904 with a 0-2 or 0-2.5 Amp scale. These are high quality instruments with better than 1% accuracy. They pop up on eBay every once in awhile for reasonable prices. I had a model 904 on my HCCT and it worked well.

Below is a model 433 with a 0-2 Amp scale.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 08:51 pm:

P.S.

Good job Randy.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 09:07 pm:

One more thought. The Weston model 155 has the same internal construction as the Weston meter used on the original HCCT. It would look great on a homemade HCCT!!

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 09:49 pm:

Great looking HCCT Randy! KGB

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration