Ford tt Transmission Twin Hi Hi/Lo info and parts needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Ford tt Transmission Twin Hi Hi/Lo info and parts needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Ledbetter on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 03:16 pm:

I just got a TT running gear and it has a transmission in it that was made by continuous torque it is called a twin hi hi lo does any body have any info on it I also need to find some parts for the shifter there is a shift assembly that mounts to the hogs head and the gut are missing any help on this would be great I want to put it into the 1925 C cab that me and my son are building

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Ledbetter on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 03:55 pm:

pic of trans I have

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Blake Haugen in Troy,MT. on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 12:21 am:

I want one too !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Lanning on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 03:02 am:

I have this auxiliary transmission on my TT. It is a early '27 closed cab with matching s/n's on engine and frame. My shifter is worn a fair amount in the shifter lever socket area but still useable. I was hoping to see more posts here on this transmission. The only thing I've ever seen is the pages from the MTFCI forum that I think your picture came from. I' m planning on putting on my gravity dump bed I'm restoring. Also a Ruckstell with the high speed 5 1/6 gears. Should be a pretty neat setup when I'm done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 11:33 am:

Any more information on this unit...seems interesting? Never seen before. Any photos?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 01:34 pm:

I have one of these in a 25 TT as well it is missing the shifter also. This truck is a future project but I am collecting parts, so if you find a source for parts I would appreciate knowing who it is. Thanks, Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Ledbetter on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 04:21 pm:

what is the shift pattern? is it a 4 speed or 3 speed I have pulled the shifter covers and there are only 2 positions for each rod forward and back that gives me 4 possible shift positions both back 4 1/2 to 1,
both forward 11 to 1, L forward R back 6 1/2 to 1,R back L forward 6 1/4 to 1 this was done while it was hooked to a 7 to 1 rear axel I have a 5 1/6 ruckstell that I am putting it on so I will be about 3 to 1 in high so it should move along
it is like you need to shifters with this thing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 06:11 pm:

Hi Lonnie

Here is another ad page for Hi-Lo Transmissions

The inventor’s name is likely Charles E. F. Ahlm who assigned his patents to
“The Continuous Torque Transmission Company, Cleveland, Ohio”
Problem is he applied for and received a large number of patents, making it
difficult to identify which one if any, applies to your transmission.
However as you have the actual transnission there to look at, below is a list of his
transmission related patents, if you want to spend some time looking thru them,
the drawings may be helpful. Hopefully one or more will be a match.

You can enter them one at a time in Google Patents (or search engine of your choice -
- the semicolon's are only nessessary if using the multiple entry method in pat2pdf).
https://www.google.com/?tbm=pts

or copy and paste each string below into “pat2pdf.org” to load them six at a time.
http://www.pat2pdf.org/
Clicking a blue patent number may bring up a ‘open with’ or save choice.
choose the ‘Adobe’ option to view.

1620854;1620856;1620858;1627368;1634063;1647981

1650001;1674082;1674083;1688844;1696179;1716335

1720988;1720989;1753398;1780150;1813376;1800228;1893640

Bit of a long shot, but best I can do.

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Lanning on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 09:31 pm:

It's very interesting what's being posted here. Since I have a workable shift lever, I'll add some info'. The shift lever operates in a upside down "U" pattern as viewed from the drivers seat.. Both transmission rods would be in the "back" position when lever is in the bottom of the "U" pattern. The shifter is gated so that when a shifter rod has moved forward, it has to returned to the back position before the other can be moved forward. I always assumed the bottom of the "U" was the direct drive position and one side was under drive and the other overdrive, but I haven't confirmed that to be true yet. Your ratios look interesting especially the both forward which by my shifter should not be possible. I would think the Ruckstell shift lever available from the vendors could also be modified to operate both shift rods on this one. Food for thought. Some day I'll learn how to resize photos so I can post here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Ledbetter Sheridan,Or on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 12:31 am:

thanks Art for the patent info, 1716335 is the closest to what I have but mine has two rods coming from the shifter housing Gail how many gears can you shift 3 or 4 speed I have called and sent emails to everyone I can find that deals in T parts and know one has any info or parts and I have yet to talk to anyone who has seen one the only place this transmission exists is here in this chat these must be some of the rarest transmissions made

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Lanning on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 10:29 am:

Lonnie, my transmission has 3 speeds, and that's because the shifter is gated. If I could move both rods like you can manually, I would probably have 4 speeds too. My setup looks just like the ad you posted above except for the center shift rod support which I don't have. My location is near Lincoln NE. My trucks first owner I believe was about 25 miles from me. I suspect the dealer at the time was in Nebraska City NE. There was a Ford assembly plant in Omaha too. That same building is now a apartment complex with small retail shops on the ground floor. I always suspected mine came without the generator starter and battery. My suspicions arise from the way the battery box was installed and the rough hole for the starter switch which don't quite seem to be factory standard. I still have the original leather on the roof of the closed cab too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Lanning on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 10:32 am:

Lonnie, my transmission has 3 speeds, and that's because the shifter is gated. If I could move both rods like you can manually, I would probably have 4 speeds too. My setup looks just like the ad you posted above except for the center shift rod support which I don't have. My location is near Lincoln NE. My trucks first owner I believe was about 25 miles from me. I suspect the dealer at the time was in Nebraska City NE. There was a Ford assembly plant in Omaha too. That same building is now a apartment complex with small retail shops on the ground floor. I always suspected mine came without the generator starter and battery. My suspicions arise from the way the battery box was installed and the rough hole for the starter switch which don't quite seem to be factory standard. I still have the original leather on the roof of the closed cab too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 11:32 am:

I have 3 but mine are 6 spd , 2 in the TT 4 in the transmissions, mine are Rocky Mountain 6 spds, look just like the 1st photo, but I'm missing what the shifter handle sits in attached to the u-joint area to make the shifter work

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J Williams on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 12:30 pm:

Hi guy's I also have a TT tanker with the twin hi -lo it's the one
That's to the rearend with two rods going forward .it' was missing the shifter and rods so I just used round stock for the rods . For the shifter I used the top cover "shifter" from an old
Model A three speed trans.that has an H pattern that allows
The rods to be shifted forward and back one at a time.
I am not quite sure if I am getting all of the ratio's but I think I
Am because the aux. Trans has no neutral position on he
Rods " or not. ". May have to modify the shifter gate .

JW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Ledbetter Sheridan,Or on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 04:37 pm:

I think they are suppose to be a 3 speed when you pull the covers on the trans you can move the rods to 4 possible combinations but 2 of them are to close to do any good so I think the ratios should be 1st both rods back 11 to 1, 2nd front rod forward rear rod back 6 1/2 to 1, 3rd both rods back 4 1/2 to 1 (while hooked to low speed rear axel)and I come to this by what they say in the ads low gears to pull loads and high gears for speed I know its a lot to ask but if Gail could break down what happens to the rods in each gear I would know if I am right. I think the rocky mountains are made later and a copy of the original High Lo and you are correct there is no neutral position in these transmissions thanks everyone for the help I guess I will have to build a twin shifter for this thing so I can get the gears that will make the cab crowded two shifters for the trans and 1 for the ruckstell
Lonnie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Lanning on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 10:29 pm:

I just got back from a trip to Hutchinson KS for the T Seminar and today was a reasonably nice temperature day so decided to check some ratios. I checked it with one wheel on the ground and the other free to rotate. With both rods back the crank rotated 1 3/4 turn to 1 wheel turn turn or an overall of about 3.5:1. The left rod forward gave about 2 7/8 turns or an overall of about 5.75:1. The right rod forward gave about 2 3/4 turns or an overall of about 5.5:1. I made both rods move forward (the shift gate doesn't allow this) gave about 4 1/4 turns or an overall of about 8.5:1. I thought I had the 7 1/4 to 1 rear axle but these look more like the 5 1/6 to one. I checked each one about 3 times and got the same result each time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Ledbetter Sheridan,Or on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 04:24 am:

thanks Gail the numbers you gave sound pretty close to what I have so once I put it to a high speed rear axel I bet they will match, thanks for your help it looks like I am going to have to make my own shifter assembly not a big thing just means there will be 3 shifters to deal with one for ruckstell and two for transmission

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration