Front axle of Cross Country racer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Front axle of Cross Country racer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 04:57 pm:

On a recent pictures of the 1909 Cross Country racer there appears to be a strap between the front axle and the frame.

This shows the strap blown up.

Now on the road the strap is no longer visible.

Was this strap just added while the car was being shipped?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 05:03 pm:

Accessory rebound straps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 05:57 pm:

A couple more Ford racers with them. Frank Kulick is driving both racers:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 06:04 pm:

U think it has something to do with the over the axle wishbone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 06:27 pm:

I seem to recall them being called rebound straps. They are meant to limit the spring deflection after the spring has been loaded.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 06:27 pm:

Tony,

No, the straps were NOT used for shipping the cars. Instead they were sold by accessory companies or the local harness shop could make you a pair. If you traveled in rough country or on rough roads when the front wheel(s) got air born it kept the spring from fully extending.

Richard,

No, I don't think they were used because of the over the axle wishbone. As mentioned above -- mostly to control spring travel.

Below is one of many advertisements for them -- available with our without springs.

I do have a theory that some day I will check out. I would like to know if the front axle is set up properly with 5 1/2 degrees caster. And if you hit a large bump or drive off a ditch and the spring fully extends because the front wheel(s) do not have any load on them, how much will the caster decrease? And can it go negative? I would guess that would be about the same for an above or below the axle wishbone.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 06:51 pm:

who here runs rebound straps? You can use these on the back too right? what did you make your straps out of? seems like a plain old belt couldnt take the punishment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 10:04 pm:

Nathan -- Just go down to your local harness maker and have some heavy-duty ones made. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration