Power to weight ratio

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Power to weight ratio
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 07:10 pm:

The early t ads touted that the model is sooooo light and powerful that it was comparable to larger and more expensive cars of thirty or more hp. How does the t stack up against those cars today, maybe in the stand point of hcca tours. Is our beloved little brass car still holding its own. How about some actual expirences!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 07:19 pm:

What does it weigh?
No question should receive more serious consideration. For every pound of excess weight calls for more engine, more gasoline and oil and shorter tire life. The Ford car weighs 1200 lbs. No other car is near1y as light. In the Ford design not an ounce of necessary weight has teen sacrificed. That it weighs less is due entirely to superior design, elimination of unnecessary parts and the use of the highest grade material, Vanadium steel, etc. The Ford, light as it is, will stand more hard service than any other car you ever saw. With s light weight car, the Ford 20 h.p. engine is really as powerful as the 30 h.p. engine of the 2100 pound car.

Figure it Out

Passengers 600 lbs
Car 1200 lbs
Total 1800 lbs
Motor 20 h.p., 90 lbs per h.p.

Passengers 600 lbs
Car 2100 lbs
Total 2700 lbs
Motor 30 h.p., 90 lbs per h.p.
and inasmuch as plenty of 30 h.p cars really weigh more than 2100 lbs, the figures are still more favorable to Ford.
  In the Ford car you get at least equal results in safety, speed, power, endurance and long life that you can from any heavy car; it costs much less to operate and not an ounce of necessary weight has been sacrificed.
  M. Michelin, noted tire expert, in a paper recently read before the French Society of Civil Engineers said:

"The total travel of which a tire is capable is inversely proportional to the cube of the weight which it carries. For example, if the load is doubled the average wear and tear is multiplied by eight."

It's all in the know-how. Vanadium steel is one of the means, elimination of unnecessary parts, another, unit construction, a third, and so on down the line. Manufacturers no longer dispute the value of light construction. Where it was the fashion to knock when the Ford runabout was announced, it is now in order to get as close to Ford weight as possible. Some are even now claiming a light weight that differs from their scale weight. In a couple of years, maybe three years, other cars will weigh as little as the Ford Model T.

from the early model t ad, love readings the old auto lit, they way they describe things is great! Wish new cars came with that much info!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 08:31 pm:

Yes but, how much does YOUR Model T actually weigh? How many here have put their car on a scale? I wonder if the famous1200 pound figure came from a 1909 touring with no front doors and possibly no windshield as well as thinner spokes and other components. Some years have aluminum transmission covers too. My little 1919 Runabout scaled out a hefty1620 pounds empty with very little fuel so lets say 1600. It is of course a starter/generator car but still, the scale reading was a surprise. My point is I would be surprised to hear that a typical 1917 Touring reads only 1200 on a scale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 09:02 pm:

After years of reading this form( still new to posting) very few people actually post the weight of their cars. Very interesting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 11:56 pm:

All that I know is that my T has a lower power to weight ratio than my lawn tractor but the T is a lot more fun to drive. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 12:05 am:

The 1200# is a Henry Ford number for the stripped down racer...

These weights, from the Encyclopedia, are for the 1925 Touring:

Clincher Non-starter 1500
Clincher Starter 1580
Demountable Starter 1640
Starter Balloon 1740

I could not find the numbers for the earlier cars, but I am sure they are comparable.

I tried to format the numbers so the columns lined up, I failed.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 12:14 am:

Tony,
It's difficult to find "real" weights in the period descriptions. I've tried when comparing Models B, K, N and T with other cars. I can look at three different car reviews in old magazines and find three different weights.

Even so, when I've compared using weights as listed, all the Ford models come in with a better weight to hp ratio than most of their comparably priced competition.

If you want to line up columns of numbers, try using periods to do it. For example:

Make...........Weight...........h.p.............price
Ford.............1200..............22...............$850
Buick............1700..............24.............$1300

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 12:59 am:

Also from the encyclopedia:
Shipping weight, touring

1912-1914.....1200
1915-1916.....1510

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 01:09 am:

My 26 tudor weighs in at just around 2000#. Hills and a good head wind are the only thing that really slows it down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 01:18 am:

I don't know where those weights come from, but I know from weighing my Ts they come a lot more weight than those. If I remember correctly (dangerous) my 19 center door comes in at around 2,200 my 12 comes in around 1,800. They have Ruckstells which is a little heavier and gas, oil and water. which shipping weight will not have. I have weighed my Ts on both the State scales and private scales.

picture

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration