What would be the year of this horn, generally?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: What would be the year of this horn, generally?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 08:06 am:

I saw this over on FeeBay and thought I ask; What would be the "ballpark" years for this style of horn? Not asking if it is T correct, just about the years.

horn picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 08:18 am:

I would say the brass era. Pre 1915 (1909-1914). Someone correct me if I am wrong, but these horns were designed to attach to the flat wooden firewalls which were changed over to the sloping steel cowl in 1915. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 08:23 am:

Sorry, I resized the picture a little bit too small.

horn2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 08:40 am:

Well, it doesn't show the front of the bell in the picture, but it looks like there is not a "bug" screen. This tells me it is earlier in the brass era. From what I know that would be around 1909 for the model T horns. It is a "triple twist" which also fits the 1909 1910 period. If the bracket is original to the horn, I don't recognized it as being from a Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 08:48 am:

Judging by the bracket, could it be for an early RH drive car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 03:55 pm:

There is no screen shown with it on the bell. The listing says that the bracket would make it for RHD, but I guess that could be taken off and it be used for LHD. Although not correct for me, it would make a nice "accessory" horn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 09:05 pm:

It's a fairly early horn, perhaps 1905 - 1909.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 10:49 pm:

I don't mean to horn in on this but I have a similar question about these horns.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 12:36 am:

The vertical narrow bracket and RH drive routing of the horn tube is exactly what the 1911 Maxwell roadster uses. I owned one for a short time and it was missing the horn. I am talking about the 2 cylinder model which I think is called the A-B.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 04:54 pm:

The bell on the one that I posted looks to be a smooth flare out to the edge. The one in the picture that Fred had posted looks to have a flat for mounting the screen on it. The bracket that is shown on the horn in the listing looks to be fairly substantial, almost overkill for just a brass horn.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration