Windshield assemblies

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Windshield assemblies
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 09:25 am:

Greetings all.

I'm not much of a poster here, but I'm a longtime lurker. Zach Dillinger is my name and I have a 1926 Touring that I bought from Philip Eyre last year.

I've been working on the car since then and it runs and drives great now. I lack a few things before I'm willing to try her out on any kind of longer-distance trial run. One of those things is a windshield.

I have no idea what I am missing or how it is supposed to go together. All that is on the car right now is a pair of vertical posts that attach to the cowl. I believe these are called stanchions. Other than that, there is nothing.

Does anyone have an exploded drawing or detailed photograph of all that is supposed to be there? I'm trying to do this car right and want to make sure I get everything I need.

Thanks! If more information is needed to answer this question, please let me know.

Zach

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 09:44 am:

You need the upper and lower windshields plus four wing nuts and perhaps some hardware depending on how complete the windshield frames you find are. New laminated glass for the frames is a safety concern, the original plate glass can be an accident waiting to happen.

All parts are available from the vendors - for a high price. You may find old useable parts cheaper with some hunting..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 09:48 am:

http://www.modeltford.com/item/78205.aspx

(See the suggested additional parts under)

The wing nuts weren't suggested when I looked: http://www.modeltford.com/item/351000.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 04:12 pm:

Thanks gents. I use Langs all the time and appreciate the suggestions they make. I just want to make sure I have everything on hand once I am lucky enough to find a windshield frame, and that I know how to put it all together when the time comes.

If anyone has a line on a good used frame that doesn't break the bank, I would appreciate a heads-up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 06:24 pm:

26-7 frames are expensive, the hot rodders want em. you'll have to find one in the wild, or get lucky at swap meet or auction

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 06:42 pm:

Take a look at Macs T parts catalogue.
They have a decent exploded view of what a 26-27 open car winshield looks like and all the parts that go with it. Not real cheap but you can a good idea. Keep an eye on Ebay and another good place to watch is Fordbarn for parts and pieces for T's.

I had a nice set of the windshield posts that I sold on Ebay for around 100.00 but that was 6 years ago. A good set is higher now. Chickasha is coming up in March and that's the BEST T swapmeet to go to for parts. You really cant beat it. Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 07:58 pm:

You'll also find that the upper windshield is easier to find than the lower half. The bottom frames tended to rust out much sooner so there aren't as many around. Don't know how well they fit but aluminum frames are (or were) available from some of the rod shops. Some of the T parts vendors handle them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 10:35 am:

Darn "hotrodders", wasting good parts!

I just requested the Mac's catalog. It should be here before too long.

Sounds like I'll have to keep hunting or pay the big bucks for a new one from one of the suppliers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 11:23 am:

The new ones are not correct! and higher then some originals, as I have had 26-7 open cars for over 40 yrs and if you find a good set you'll pay for it, and if you sell it you'll pay for it too

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 09:40 am:

John, so the new ones are too high to work with the stock 26 stanchions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 10:00 am:

Zack by the time you pay for frames, cones, studs and install them, and all the ones I've seen don't have the side and bottom grooves for the weatherstripping on them, you wind up with almost 700.00 (kit) and a 1 to a 1 1/2 in gap under the bottom to let in the rain on a tour and they are aluminum not metal ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 11:23 am:

John, that is disappointing. The best price I've been able to find for a "real" 26 windshield is still too darn much for my budget. I was hoping the repops would work for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:15 am:

Here's a guy with a lower windshield for sale, asking $275: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=854058&highlight=model+26
Has been for sale since december, might negotiate?

I think I've seen upper windshields for $10 at ebay, didn't get to validate the size until the auction was over - might have been '24-'25 or brand x, but the upper windshield should be easier to find and a lot cheaper than the lower.

Have you tried searching for & asking earlier owners? Sometimes parts lies around their garages that weren't found back when the car was sold..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:30 am:

Roger, I bought the car from a former president of MTFCI. He doesn't have one for me.

Just sent the Jalopy Journal seller a text. We will see what comes of it! Thanks a bunch for the link.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration