Ran When Parked????

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Ran When Parked????
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Glowacki on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 10:56 am:

I'm a little sad every time I look up on the side of this hill and see this little guy keeping the ditch in place. My great-grandpa worked on cars in the 30's and had plenty of ravines to put cars out to pasture when his customer's vehicles gave out. When I was a kid I would go and sit in the model T's. The other nameplates I remember were Essex's, and a Paige, and Dodge Brother's cars in this "graveyard". They were all half buried in the ground and rotted off at the ground level. They were so cool to see as you drove past. A few years ago when a majority of the farm sold, the new owners, for no reason except that they owned the machines to do it, went through that graveyard and pushed them all into a rusty pile.

I live on the 12 acres that are left of the farm, and was happy to find this one little car left under some thorns. You can't even see it in the summer. Any of you crazy guys want to take a shot at I.D.-ing this thing based on its outline?! Once I know, I'll be sure to put it up on Ebay with this title: "Ran When Parked. Great Project! No Engine. $3,500 No Reserve!" Haha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 02:05 pm:

Looks like a T body bracket. If those braces between the sills are pressed steel it would be '26 or '27. Beyond that I can't tell. Maybe a touring or Tudor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Glowacki on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 05:44 pm:

I think it is a Tudor, as it only has 2 doors and is quite small. I believe the braces are pressed steel...what would they have been if it were an earlier model?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 08:43 pm:

The entire sub frame on '25 and earlier T's was wood. '26 and '27 had a steel sub frame except the Fordor which continued to use wood to the best of my knowledge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 02:15 am:

I would like to know more about the Paige? (I already have one) Doesn't really matter, though, too far away unless it is brass era.
As to the body you are asking about. It does look very much like Ford body mounting brackets. That means if you want to restore it, you can! There may not be much from the original car left, but it still could be done. Then you can get in on the discussions of "how far gone is too far gone to call it restored?"
First, pull all the bits and pieces you can find from it out of the weeds when weather permits. Then it will be easier to set it in a right direction and determine what you have. Post photos and ask questions here, the best place on the web.
From the photos you posted above, I cannot tell what year or body style you have. But I can tell you that I have restored a few cars from less. (I sometimes call a few of my cars "resurrected")
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Glowacki on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 08:31 am:

Wayne, the Paige was destroyed when that part of the property was sold. I just remember there being one. What I do have is my great grandfather's shop, which interestingly was flattened by a falling tree which in a way protected it from all the people that rummaged through my farm stealing anything of value after my grandfathers death.

I've crawled in there a few times on my belly and come out with brass era parts. I found a Paige hubcap last weekend and an Essex dash cluster that no doubt were taken off those cars before they went into the ravine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 09:33 am:

The nice thing about that car is that the lower parts that would be badly rusted on a "right side up car" would be in better shape and making one good car out of two is a possibility.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration