OT - Old Photo - Inside Buick Motor Company Shop

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - Old Photo - Inside Buick Motor Company Shop
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 10:59 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 11:45 am:

An OSHA inspector's dream come true. He could write up safety issues for the rest of his life !

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 11:51 am:

I was a machinist for many years and to me that is a boogery looking place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 11:58 am:

Looks perfectly safe to me. Just don't put your fingers anywhere you shouldn't! :-)

Notice they all seem to have their sleeves rolled up with no loose ends hanging down. I wonder what the noise level was in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 12:20 pm:

Uh Huh just don't be standing too close if the "Staples" that hold the drive belts together let go. Been there done that, no t-shirt, no fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 12:29 pm:

I worked in a Chrysler Transmission Plant in Kokomo, In. in 1960. No ear or eye protection. The last day I worked there, I run a deburring table with an air powered drill looking machine. I drove home and my ears were still ringing when I got home. A half hour later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 12:59 pm:

I spent most of my life in a machine shop.
When eye protection was forced upon us in the 70's we fought it tooth and nail.
Now sometimes I spend 15 minutes looking for glasses to run my lathe.
It just doesn't feel right without 'em.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 01:26 pm:

Bob,
Kinda sounds like the adjustment needed to imbed the use of seat belts. (NO, I don't want to get into a discussion of seat belts in our T's.) In the 60's it was just a pain in the a**. Now we pretty much don't move until everyone is buckled up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 01:29 pm:

Yeah, when I drive an old car with no seat belts I feel like a naughty little kid!
But any car that has them I put it on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 01:34 pm:

I tried to identify what milling operation might be taking place. The round thing lower left could be a transmission drum but is likely part of the machinery. While not a clear photo it certainly captured the feel of the work going on.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 01:36 pm:

P. S. I poked my eye with the safety goggles again the other day. Go figure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 01:52 pm:

Looks like horizonal milling machines to me. Probably cutting keyways or grooves into something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 02:22 pm:

Great pic of all the flying and whirling leather belts along with everything else that's moving!

Wonder how many of those guys got their shop aprons or hands,fingers caught up in some of that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 04:09 pm:

I wish i had not given away the 11" Clipper belt laceing machine i got when i left the closed Chevy plant.I still have the anvil! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 05:21 pm:

It also would be interesting to know if this was before GM took over in 1908.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 05:58 pm:

GM actually did not take over Buick. Buick was controlled by Willy Durant and Durant built GM around Buick.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration