Note to self: Before you buy, know what you already have.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Note to self: Before you buy, know what you already have.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 03:12 pm:

I ordered some new parts yesterday. A few minutes ago I was looking through my junk pile in the yard and found that I already have them. Oh well, at least they aren't anything major.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 03:20 pm:

Steve,

1. You can't have too many PARTS.

2. It always pays to be prepared and have extra PARTS.

3. You can substitute the word CARS for PARTS.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 03:37 pm:

I have had similar experiences. Either I had the part I had ordered which was in a pile of parts which I had purchased at sometime in the past when I was not looking for that particular part, or when I started on a project which took a few years to complete, I had ordered the parts and then a couple years later ordered them again. Then after I had finished the project one day I came across the new parts which I had ordered at the time I had started. Things like this are good for some future job, or maybe for a friend which is looking for the part, or for sale at a swap meet or door prizes at a club event. Don't throw away, eventually all parts seem to be useful even if for a mold for making a good piece.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 03:40 pm:

Steve - I've done that too! And I'll bet that you and I are NOT the only ones either!

There is one thing worse, and that is to order something you already have, and not even know yet that you've done it! Sometimes it takes "years" to learn that you've done that! Also, I've actually ordered something that I'm sure that I already have, but cannot find it! That's even much MORE "frustratinger"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 03:45 pm:

I admit it, I'm a pack rat. The problem that I struggle with is the knowledge that if I don't know I have it I might as well not have it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 03:52 pm:

A lot of times I've looked for a part I KNEW I had on hand and couldn't find it.
I buy a new part and immediately find the one I knew I had.
As soon as I buy a new one it's a guarantee I'll find the original one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 03:55 pm:

The only way to find some long-forgotten or misplaced parts is to order them again. Usually within a week of them arriving the previously mentioned parts will make their presence known. I think Murphy has something to do with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 04:54 pm:

Just look at it as replenishing your stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Henry on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 05:01 pm:

I find the best thing to do is take a few photos of every part you have and keep it all together in one place. Whenever you need a part, check the photos first! Every time I check I find something that I'd forgotten that I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 05:46 pm:

I would forget where I put the photos and have to take more pictures and order more film and take more pictures and forget where I put the new film and go buy more film and then take more pictures of the film I just bought and forgot where I put my camera and then take a picture of the camera and go buy a new camera but forget where I put my wallet and then take a picture of my wallet and then go get the car but forget where I parked the car because I can't find the picture of it and then I would have to find the car keys but I can't because I can't remember where I put the photo of the car keys and then ...Oh never mind I can't remember where I put the catalog to order my Model T parts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 06:25 pm:

Last month I bought a super nice original Johns Manville T Special speedometer drive on Ebay. When it came I realized that I already has a brand new reproduction that was bought years ago for the same car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 06:40 pm:

I'm with Dave, Murphy has something to do with it. I recently (last night) rebuilt the fan hub on my 27 roadster when the parts came my wife asked Why did you order double what was needed? My answer if I have the parts on hand I'll never have to do this again! BTW O'Toole's observation of Murphy's law is that Murphy was an optimist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 06:42 pm:

The only thing that worries me about my stock pile of parts is, that when I die that my wife will sell them for what I told her I paid for them!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 07:36 pm:

My wife was going to hire the guy down the street and have him bring up his backhoe. I have a bad reputation when it comes to putting things back together.
I currently have my Porsche Boxster in my hangar at the airport replacing the clutch. Major take it apart job. I came home today all happy in that I finally had the muffler out and could move on to dropping the transmission. She looked at me with a smile and said that she had changed her mind. I had so many unfinished projects That she was going to have a kit sale. Come to the hangar and if you can find all of the parts for his Model A Ford, Fleet 2 biplane, Porsche Boxster, BSA Goldstar, BMW R90S, etc she would sell you the kit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 07:54 pm:

I don't by gaskets anymore until I go through the ones I have. I know I don't have all of them but I know I have too many of the rest... if that makes any sense.

If I take a photo of everything I have it won't help at this point. I still won't know where the heck the part is. I need to organize...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 07:55 pm:

Kerry van Ekeren.......if your wife could GET what you paid for those parts I'd say you have a very smart wife....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 10:31 pm:

I don't know what's wrong with you guys. I never do anything like that. Yeah, right. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 10:48 pm:

Steve,

Your title should read
"Note to Jelf: Before you buy, know what you already have".

:-) :-) :-)

Be_Zero_Be

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration