26-27 Sidelight suggestions for turn signal use

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 26-27 Sidelight suggestions for turn signal use
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 07:38 pm:

I have a 1927 Sport Touring. I want to put turn signals on it. I have added a second tail light for the back. I have been thinking of electrifying and adding the kerosene side lights with the bolt on 26-27 style brackets, but they look too antique for the Sport Touring styling. I also thought about using 2 electric taillights bolted to the 26-27 style sidelight brackets and change the lens to a clear or white lens. I was wondering if there are any aftermarket style sidelights that were sold in the late 20s and 30s for the model Ts or generic use. I would prefer them to mount to the 26-27 style sidelight brackets so I do not need to modify anything. Any ideas ....... Thanks ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 07:46 pm:

1st yes there were aftermarket side/cowl lamps that were electric. The white or clear lens would indicate parking lights not turn signals. You could use the clear lens and use stain/paint for fake stain glass amber color on the bulbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 08:12 pm:

I can get 6 or 12 volt bulbs that are amber. I will have to use a clear or amber lens.. I forgot about white being parking lights ..Im hoping Jay has some accy electric side lights or literature to look at. If I can decide on what style I would like to use, I can look at Chickashea and maybe not pass over something ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 08:16 pm:

26-27's are close enough to Model A that you could use those and probably not raise much of an eyebrow. I made the cowl lights on my Model A into turn signals, worked really well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 09:22 pm:

Trial fit them for appearance before drilling any holes....I don't think kerosene side lites would look very good on an improved car body. Some small lites mounted near the headlights might look better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 09:37 pm:

Bob Bergstadt had some interesting sidelights on a recent post. They were era correct. I can't remember the title of the post.

Not much help am I.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 09:40 pm:

Another option I thought of is to get 2 of the small clamp on spotlights with the curved lens. I have several that clamp to the windshield post that are real small. If I could get a pair of them I could use amber bulbs and not have to drill any holes at all. I think the wire would go in above the door and then under dash. Ill try to mock up one of the ones I have a see what it looks like ... It may be hard to match up a pair of them ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 10:44 pm:

On my 26 Tudor I mounted a pair of the vendor bullet amber lights. These are easy to mount under the fender at the fender supports just about directly in line below the headlights. When off, hardly noticeable, but once illuminated quite visible and cannot be mistaken for anything else. I don't think turn signal mounted at the cowl would be clearly interpreted as to intent my modern car drivers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 10:50 pm:

Here are period lamps you could add to your Ford

1923 Surplus Auto Supply Co Chicao

And today you can get a bullet shaped lamp from JC Whitney that looks the same!

http://www.jcwhitney.com/adjure-universal-beacon-1-lights/p2029360.jcwx?filterid=c2879u0j1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 02:34 am:

I mounted my front turn signals in the same place as John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 04:31 am:

My '26 Coupe has lights mounted as John Zibell's, directly below the headlamps, using a wing-stay bolt.
But I used small motorcycle lamps which are moulded soft plastic with their own stalks. Smaller than John's, and much smaller than Mark's above.
Same at the rear, under the body corners.
Take a look at motorbike accessories.
I get 5000 to choose from on ebay UK!
I'm 6v but I found some 18W 6v bulbs. I later converted the front to LED (12 LEDS)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 06:12 am:

These are what I have:

"Universal Flexible Rubber Motorbike Indicators Suitable For Kawasaki GPX GPZ 750"

Search on ebay

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 08:23 am:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/7517640850/in/set-72157630456971094

Small but effective.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 09:41 am:

From the ad above the "Handy" light would work perfect. It also looks like the "Little Henry" might work on the 26-27 style side light brackets. I have considered the motorcycle style turn signals mounted below the headlights. I just thought if I can find some period correct aftermarket lights that do not require holes to be drilled I would use them ... I would think with LEDs or bright bulbs they would be visable enough for turn signals mounted at the cowl... Dan Thanks for the ads, now I know what I want to find at Chickashea ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 10:20 am:

I have a few of these on T-Bay right now,

eBay item number:
Bob
one listed on T-Bay the other is at my shop, they are the same

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration