Rivets for gen. brushes?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Rivets for gen. brushes?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 08:34 pm:

I'm rebuilding a '26 T generator. I need to replace the insulation on the brush ring but can't find the rivets required. Anyone know of a supplier? Thanks PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 09:07 pm:

You need to drill and tap the brush holders you remove for a 6-32 screw. The rivets are just regular pop rivets 1/8" to hold the insulator back on. You need to remove the mandrel though and flatten the rivet though so it doesn't short out on the cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 09:22 pm:

Here is my suggestion....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/4226867477/in/set-72157622909753128/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/4226866937/in/set-72157622909753128/

Here is a link to the whole gen rebuild I did.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/sets/72157622909753128/

Thanks to help from Ron Patterson and the MTFCA book and video on the subject.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 12:38 am:

Pat if this may help.

Good Luck

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 12:43 am:

We make the insulators shown in the pictures and we keep them in stock pretty much all the time.

http://www.funprojects.com/products/5132-INS.cfm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 01:26 am:

Thanks guys, all this is a big help. I'll be ordering the FP insulators. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 09:02 am:

Pat
Any pop Rivet that is 1/8 diameter with a grip range of .063-.125 will work. I use copper with brass mandrel rivet, use a brass washer to hold the insulator flat. The FunProjects insulators are far superior to the other product on the market. Complete detail for installation are in the MTFCA Brushplate Rebuilding video. We prepared that video years ago when FP insulators were not available.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 09:58 am:

Ditto on the insulators. The after market paper insulators must be modified to work. The FP fiberglass insulators fit perfectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 10:41 am:

You can also get the FunProjects insulators for Model T Starter brushplates.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 10:01 pm:

Thanks for all the help. One thing with the brush holder. It has posts sticking down with no hole or threads. I see some of the brush holders are screwed on. One holder on mine had the posts mushroomed like a rivet. What's the deal with that set up, was it stock? How did you guys go about this. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 10:11 pm:

Pat
Give me a call tomorrow after 11am EST when I am in the shop and I can explain.
Ron the Coilman
859-881-1677

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 07:05 am:

I use 1/8 pop rivets and washers.
Nearly always I only replace the insulation part under the third brush
[don't repair what isn't broken]
Toon
1477R
1478R
1479R

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration