Totally OT: Technology is no smarter than the person using it.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Totally OT: Technology is no smarter than the person using it.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 10:17 am:

Recently I bought a chain saw. Now advertising for chain saws miraculously appears on my screen when I visit various websites. How smart is it, trying to sell me a saw when I've just bought one? They should be pitching bar oil, chains, chain sharpeners, and two cycle oil.

Electronic message boards put up by banks and other businesses are sometimes programmed well, but usually not. Time and temperature are the bait that gets eyeballs. Some programmers don't use enough bait, and soon regular passers-by tune them out. Most of the audience for those signs is in cars, but the signs are programmed for stationary readers. If I'm driving by in my Model T at 30 mph, you have from five to seven seconds to give me a message I can read. If it goes on, and on, and on, I may see two or three words of it. If it's in fancy animated dancing letters, maybe one word.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 10:21 am:

Steve read your warrentee paper work and remember,if there is a issue,they test the fuel at a repair center and if over 40 days old,you are out of warrenty.Not being noisey but what did you get?
My next saw will be a Solo,made in germany.I bought a used 1 recently and I love it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 10:24 am:

The old fellow took his new chain saw back to the dealer to complain that he wasn't satisfied with it after cutting a few dozen trees down with it. The dealer started it up and the old fellow said "What's that noise?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 11:03 am:

Steve, I hope you bought a EPA approved chainsaw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 11:14 am:

The ads are from the same company you bought from? That would really be odd. (Possibly) little known fact on 2 cycle oil: Did you know they are rated and the rating is voluntary? Look at your container. It might have a letter designation surrounded by a cartouche or oval. Last time I looked Red Max was the highest with an F rating. I don't think A & B are even made anymore. They were for low HP/low revolution engines like older scooters. The higher the rating the better the oil. Again, last time I looked Echo brand oil wasn't rated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 11:26 am:

Jay, OSHA says you better take that chain off of there, something could get cut on it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 11:43 am:

Mack, I want a Solo next, too. They are a close cousin to the Dolmar. Here is my mildly worked over Dolmar 7900 :-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5KlNiZZNbI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 11:45 am:

Doug, Here's the OSHA approved chainsaw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 11:52 am:

Jay;
You need an armored wrist and forearm guard so when you have a chain fly back you don't get wood cutter fracture. :-) SNAP!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 12:02 pm:

Steve: You posted about Banks reminded me of a Bank that was next to the motel I stayed at in IL when going to a T auction. Did not have Time and Temp on sign. Something more important, Price of Pork, corn and beans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 12:50 pm:

I was the executor of my father's estate. I opened an account in Chase Bank in the name of the estate. Sometime later I received a form letter from the bank:

"Dear Estate of Gilbert W. Fitzhugh:

We would like you to discuss your future retirement options with one of our professional investment advisers. - - - "

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration