Need a valve seat tool - Can I rent yours?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Need a valve seat tool - Can I rent yours?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott McBrook on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 11:16 am:

I repairing valve seats on a TT and don't want to spend $300 on something we may never need again for this use. Anyone want to lend/rent their valve cutting tool? I am in Houston area and have 100 feedback on ebay, etc. I could work something out.

Thanks,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 02:37 pm:

Scott, unless they are terribly bad, I have at times lapped them in with valve grinding compound as they are not that hard to cut. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 06:18 pm:

Scott, you don't trust this group enough to add any information to your profile, such as home address, location, etc.

Would you be expecting someone to ship it overseas to you?

This Forum is like a two way street!

Why would you expect anyone in this group to trust you enough to lend you a $300 tool?

I had the same problem about 33 years ago and finally found a friend to sell me one for a reasonable price, but it took awhile and this Forum had not been established yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 07:05 pm:

He's got his hometown on there James, what more do you want? I think anyone putting much more than that online for anyone to see is kind of silly. He's also offering to rent the tool - I suspect he'd do a deposit, pay for shipping both ways, and then when owner gets it back and sees nothing broke they can release deposit minus whatever fee they agreed on. I'm just going to buy my own but if I weren't I would think this is a good way to go. Oddly enough I need he exact same tool. If I already had one I'd see if I could work something out with him. I already asked if there was anyone in North Carolina in my valve issue thread, but got no responses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 08:39 pm:

Seth did you see my response in your earlier thread?
I mentioned a couple of folks down your way that might have an idea about the valve seats.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 08:56 pm:

Hey Mr. Larry, I somehow missed your post until I went looking for it. I'm in the NC HCCA with Mr. Richard and am proud to be great friends with him! Lol, I actually texted him and checked with folks in our group before posting on here. A couple folks have machines if I pull the engine, but surprisingly to me and Mr. Richard nobody had the tools like I was looking for.

Actually, I have to thank Richard because he let me drive his '15 wide track touring while he drove his Huppmobile, and my wife fell in love with his car. She already approves of the hobby, but after riding in that car (it has a nifty bell that you ring by stepping on the hammer through the floorboard) she decided she absolutely needed to have her own T. Lol, and she MUST have a '15 wide track exactly like Mr. Landis's. I told her "Oh yeah sure babe, I'll get right on that." Haha, one day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 10:31 pm:

Seth,

That's great. I met Richard at an open house at the base when we were stationed there in the late 70's. he was driving a blue and yellow T speedster around a '13 or '14.
His dad Carl was a very nice man and helped me out a great deal with parts and help. The 21" wood wheels I had on the touring came from him.

I ran into some folks from the Hornets Nest chapter at Hershey 2 years back but missed seeing Richard.

It is a small world.
Good luck with the valve seats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 10:59 pm:

Scott, If you aren't a member of the Space City T's, Contact someone in that local club. I'm sure someone could help you. Rick McCracken is president. PM me for his phone number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 11:21 pm:

Did I miss something?
Scott in Huston is in need of a valve cutting tool and is willing to rent one.
The least someone can do for him is direct him to a local club were he might get some help

I don't understand why folks don't include a general location in their profile and name because sometimes it helps when we give answers or replies.

I once met someone on this forum that lives nearby and was hesitant to drive his T because his mentor had passed. My wife and I met him at a coffee shop, we had a great time talking and since I had driven my T we went for a ride.

If I had a tool and someone close by need to borrow it I would try to work something out - after all this is a hobby and part of it is meeting cool people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott McBrook on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:30 pm:

Guys, calm down. I was messing with the user settings and found I had not included my basic info. So it was added recently after this original post. I know there are organizations and such but its not my TT, I am just earning a few bucks helping the owner who is not a skilled wrench.

Good info on space city T's.

I got two private messages (thanks) and just responded one on guy Jeff who is local. I hope to get the valve seats cut or just looked at.

This forum has a very different PM setup from the usual forums, but I'm learning. As sort of a hired gun I am a member of many forums (too many!). I try to be a good member and typically I find some technique or tip to contribute but for a T I doubt that will happen any time soon if ever, others have it covered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 06:10 pm:

If Jeff Cordes offered to help you; take him up. Jeff will have the right tool and knowledge to get the TT going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 12:26 pm:

Good to know you found what you needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 01:19 pm:

Wow James, you gave him a great welcome to the forum. I noticed that none of your personal info is listed either. Should we trust you?

I don't have what you need Scott, but sounds like you're on the right track. Stick around and you'll learn lots.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration