A few new parts I am having made

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: A few new parts I am having made
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 02:26 pm:

I am having a few more new T parts being made: 1st is the single hook hood latch for the early T,
will come plain for paint or polished brass, 2nd the rear spring tie bolt with the tall square head, in production.
Bob

(Message edited by admin on January 22, 2014)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 03:16 pm:

Excellent! I doubt that I'll ever have a car early enough for the hood latch, but I may need one of these again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 03:29 pm:

I am also going to make the threads a bit longer,Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william louis rosenthal on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 03:32 pm:

That makes two of us Bob. I was going to make my own, but if these springs bolts are available, I'd love to have a front and rear.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 03:43 pm:

I am having the rears made now, hope to have some in a few weeks,Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 05:00 pm:

That bolt....well, I bet that thing cost.....Heck I can make one of those.

Just put the four jawed chuck on the lathe. Go buy some square stock the right size and 20 times longer than needed. Cut some off so it will fit in the lathe. Get the stock indicated in on the lathe. Turn the round part. Sharpen my parting tool. Part it off. Dig out the tap and die set. Thread the shank. Wouldn't take but a couple of hours.....How many of those did you say you needed?:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 06:02 pm:

Hal
I agree ,but not many of us have a lathe and /or the skills to operate it. Thanks to Bob
they will be available.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 07:33 pm:

Metal Stock = $30
Machining 2@120 = $240
Total = $270 for one bolt.

What a bargain. :-)

By the way, I use a square collet for stuff like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:10 am:

Threads should be rolled rather than cut I've been told. More strength in a rolled thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 07:32 am:

Ken,

You forgot to add the price of the machine, the tools, the supplies and the schooling to learn the trade. Plus the overhead costs of the shop building, insurance, taxes, and utilities.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 07:50 am:

Bob,

Sorry, I was just being sarcastic. No way would I do that if I didn't have to. Ken is right on. While one could make a bolt, it certainly isn't worth the time and effort.

Ken,

I don't even have round collets, but can certainly see how they would be helpful. What I would like is a bigger lathe. Mine is just an old 6" Atlas made Craftsman. It's cute, but not heavy enough to take a good cut in steel. It's fine for small aluminum and bronze parts, but steel is slow going. Have to take very light cuts or else the tool post flexes back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 08:08 am:

This is a web-wide problem, there has been no commonly agreed upon emoticon for sarcasm. One company has come up with one, but they want you to pay them $1.99 to download it (I have no connection to them):

http://mashable.com/2010/01/15/sarcmark/

Being cheap, I prefer to use the emoticon ;^p since it is already available on my keyboard.

If we can agree that ;^p is suitable, let's start using it to further the cause of computer communication clarity!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:05 am:

I could see that Hal was using sardonic absurdity to make the point that it's not easy to produce these things, even when properly equipped. Amen, brother! We're very lucky to have guys like Bob who can actually go into production with this kind of impossible-to-find item. Way to go, Bob!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:12 am:

Bob: You don't need to make them longer. Only the 9 leaf springs use a longer bolt, but by then the head wasn't as high. The part number for the regular bolt is 3837 and the 9 leaf is 3838. This information comes from the Jan 1927 parts book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 02:27 pm:

Larry I am only making the thread a bit longer for someone who uses les leaves like for speedsters, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 02:33 pm:

On the NOS bolt pictured above the threaded portion wasn't quite long enough for my eight-leaf spring (I don't know why), so I added more thread.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration