1913-1915 American Machinist Magazine articles about making the Model T Ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1913-1915 American Machinist Magazine articles about making the Model T Ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 04:16 pm:

If you are interested in the Model T Ford this is really fascinating stuff.
In 1913 to 1915 the American Machinist Magazine ran a series of articles written by Fred H. Colvin describing Ford Motor Company manufacturing methods. They depict, in great detail, many of the processes used to make parts for the Model T Ford with excellent close up and annotated photos with text.
All American Machinist Magazines have been digitized and are available on-line at Google Books. Search American Machinist Magazine and find the following articles. The photos, most of which have never been published since, are all first generation with exquisite close up detail clearly visible.

Vol 38 No18 Page 757 May 8, 1913
Vol 38 No 20 Page 841 May 22, 1913
Vol 38 No 24 Page 971 June 12, 1913
Vol 38 No 26 Page 1055 June 26, 1913
Vol 39 No 1 Page 9 July 3, 1913
Vol 39 No 2 Page 49 July 10, 1913
Vol 39 No3 Page 95 July 17, 1913
Vol 39 No 4 Page 143 July 24, 1913
Vol 39 No 5 Page 189 July 31, 1913
Vol 39 No 8 Page 311 August 21, 1913
Vol 39 No 10 Page 393 September 4, 1913
Vol 39 No 12 Page 477 September 18, 1913
Vol 39 No 22 Page 910 November 27, 1913
Vol 41 No 24 Page 1057 December 17, 1914
Vol 42 No 11 Page 589 April 8, 1915
Vol 43 No 9 Page 366 August 26, 1915

The article “Methods Employed in Making the Ford Magneto” dated August 21, 1913 in Volume 39 Issue 8 Page 311 was very interesting for me.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Housego (United Kingdom) on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 04:26 pm:

Many thanks for the heads up on that Ron. Out of interest I assume you are able to view the entire pages regarding article making Ford magneto? I seem to only see top of each page, so I am thinking there is some kind of copyright applied here in the UK unfortunately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 04:31 pm:

John
Go to this link: https://www.google.com/search?q=American+Machinist+magazine&btnG=Search+Books&tb m=bks&tbo=1#q=editions:30SAkOZ_SpkC&tbm=bks and you will find all volumes by year listed.
It takes more than one listing to to present a complete year of magazines.
Have Fun, you will really enjoy this.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 06:36 pm:

Ron - Thanks for the link, the volume of work done in those shops is still amazing to me. The other thing that is amazing is the cleanliness of the shops. As you said above, very good detail in the photographs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 07:44 pm:

Ron are these the articles that lead up to the book "Ford Methods and Ford Shops"? I thought that I read somewhere that this book started with some articles.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 08:15 pm:

Good "detective work" Ron :-)

John,
You are pulling a copy that only offers "snippet view". Click on more editions and sometimes you will find the same edition copied as a "preview" or "read" issue.

Also, click on the upper right on settings and you can download the issue as a PDF file, losing the search highlights.

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 06:43 am:

Mike
Ford Methods and Ford Shops is based on a series of articles that appeared in The Engineering Magazine. A complete set of this publication can be found on Google Maps at: https://www.google.com/search?q=editions%3AGy2odxn940oC&btnG=Search+Books&tbm=bk s&tbo=1 .
Apparently other similar articles about the Ford factory appeared in American Machinist Magazine.
I know the Engineering Magazine articles are in significant greater detail than what actually made it into Ford Methods and Ford Shops book, which one would expect.
I have not had time to review the articles in Engineering Magazine and make a list of the original magazine articles.
If one is into detail this is great stuff.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 11:35 am:

Thankyou Ron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 02:50 pm:

That should be Google Books NOT Google Maps.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Burg on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 11:00 pm:

Thanks Ron for sharing this I enjoy old machinery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 08:46 am:

Thanks Ron -- great reference material!

Also a good example of how material is being digitized and it easier to access now than say twenty years ago. As others discover or run across additional early Ford material please let us know what it is and where it is located.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Burg on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 09:36 am:

Hap,
Here is a list from a search in "Google Books" for Model T Ford.

https://www.google.com/search?q=editions%3AGy2odxn940oC&btnG=Search+Books&tbm=bk s&tbo=1#q=model+T+Ford&tbm=bks&tbs=bkv:r

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 09:44 am:

Hap and others: I'm sure most everyone knows about the digitized and now public on line materials in the Benson Archives at the Henry Ford Museum. Fascinating reading to me, at least. I found a statement from W.C Klann's interview attributing "any color so long as it's Black" to HF. An interview transcript from H P Dolan describes the set up and operation of the six 6,000 hp producer gas engines at Highland Park. There are pdf files of 45 cubic feet of paper records in this particular link:
http://www.dalnet.lib.mi.us/henryford/docs/OwenBombardInterviewsSeries_Accession 65.pdf
jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 07:19 pm:

These photos were commission by Fred Colvin, with permission of the Ford Motor Company. The photos were taken in the early winter of 1912, and the predate Arnold and Faurote's The Ford Methods and the Ford Shops. The photos themselves were taken by the professional photographers Spooner and Wells. They also predate the establishment of the Ford Photographic Department in 1914.

A complete set of the Spooner and Wells photographs is in the collections of The Henry Ford's Benson Ford Research Center. One of the things that is quite noticeable about the original photographs as compared to the versions that appeared in Colvin's American Machinist magazine articles is that the originals are not cropped and show a great deal more detail of machines and objects surrounding the primary object.

Several years ago Lindsey Publications collected all of Colvin's articles about the early American automobile industry and published them in a book entitled "Automobiles". The Colvin photographs came out quite well in the Lindsey book. Unfortunately, Lindsey decided to retire about a year ago, and the book is not readily available.

In my opinion, the Colvin Spooner and Wells photographs nicely compliment the photographs in The Ford Methods and the Ford Shops. Colvin's photos were taken of the Ford methods and shops just prior to the introduction of the moving assembly line and the birth of what we now think of as Mass Production. Arnold and Faurote's photographs capture the Ford methods and shops just after the establishment of the moving assembly line. Together they give us a before and after view of the Ford factories.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 08:58 pm:

Les,

Thank you for the Google book search link. That can be helpful but sometimes there are so many choices to sort through etc. Some of which are complete books, other snippets etc.

But having someone find a good source and sharing it such as Ron posting the links or James posting the link -- makes it so much easier to find. At least for me it helps me not to miss something that if I knew it was there I would enjoy reading/viewing it.

Maybe we should have a section for "Digitized Information" and where to find it? I know that Google Books is working to digitize more and more items which is great. But there are so many items that it can get difficult to find the ones that are most helpful etc.

And maybe I need to take a few lessons in searching on Google / Google books. I'm sure there are some tips to help make it easier.

So if anyone else has some good recommendations -- please let us know.

My addition to the listing would be David Roberts "In the Shadow of Detroit" the history of Gordon McGregor, founder of Ford of Canada. It is available complete on line at: http://books.google.com/books?id=THOyZ5JwkEQC&printsec=frontcover&dq=david+rober ts+in+the+shadow+of+detroit&source=bl&ots=8aP3OYrq9i&sig=Dqf-ga3FnFvIs-59Xwpdoee WB6c&hl=en&ei=8PSiTdqjJ4abtwfxuPiJAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi= 2&ved=0CBoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false Some details about the cars but more about Mr. McGregor as the title states. But an enjoyable book describing a lot about Ford of Canada 1904-1922 when he passed away.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration