Kuempel speedster body

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Kuempel speedster body
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 06:56 pm:

The Kuempel body was made Gutemberg Iowa in the 1920s. Mr. Kuempel moved to Minneapolis, Mn and in retirement opened the Kuepel Chime Clock Company which employed retired men to make kits to build "Grandfather" clocks. The company was passed on to his daughter and then to the granddaughters. It was sold and is now OOB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 08:47 pm:

Darel:

There was a discussion in December regarding the Kuempel speedster plans:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/406500.html?1387193883

I misstated that Don MacGregor was the owner when it was actually his wife who owned the company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 11:24 pm:

I may get the chance to duplicate an early original Mercury Speedster body in the near future. I'm waiting on the shell from the owner. If I get it, I'll make full size patterns and bucks for the panels. Should be a fun project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:22 am:

Ken, I've got a piece of one if there is anything on it you want to copy. Bob Shirley, Atlanta TX 903 824 1949

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:29 am:

Bob ... If you want to sell the body Im very interested ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:30 am:

Thanks for the offer Bob. I'm not sure at this point what I'll need. One thing for sure, you have more sheet metal showing in that picture than I'm getting. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:41 am:

Does anyone know who was repoping the aluminum parts for the Mercury? Are they still available? The owner showed me some rough castings he had.

Windshield Frame
Vent doors
"Toilet" cover
Spare tire mounting hub

Emblems?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 09:27 am:

OH MAN. It'd be AWESOME if I could buy a Mercury Speedster body kit complete with all the hardware and parts. That's my dream speedster. The only change I'd make is a half hood to showcase the jet engine I'd need to put in there. Something like that Joe Gemsa that Mark Chaffin rebuilt, WHOOOO WEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. And I can't even buy the cam I want right now, what am I talking about?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Penserini on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:57 pm:

Ken, Some years back Joe Michalek in Ohio was doing the Mercury castings. Be careful, they tend to multiply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 01:03 pm:

Holy smokes. I'm madly in lust with that yellow speedster! Provided it's also powered by an OHV engine. Yowza.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Penserini on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 01:29 pm:

Here ya go Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 06:16 pm:

Thanks Mike. That must be a later model (with doors).

I'm curious about the hood and cowl. Does the hood just rest on the cowl and that strip or is there a recess in the cowl so the hood sits level with the cowl?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Penserini on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 07:45 pm:

Ken.. There is no recess, the hood rests on the cowl. The Mercury cowls had holes that were laced with cord like on the radiator shell. The yellow Mercury is a bit different than the other Mercurys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 11:36 pm:

Notice in Mike's photo that the yellow car has a lower cowl than the black car, it is a real interesting and rare body. The black car is pretty much the same as mine. If you need any measurements from my car let me know.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:25 am:

This would seem like a good place to re-post the Mercury 'Design' and 'Utility' patents from a June 2010 thread.

Inventor: Charles Ellsworth McCormick
Assignee: Mercury Body Corporation
DESIGN Patent
Patent number: D56884
Filing date: Mar 26, 1920
Issue date: Jan 4, 1921
http://tinyurl.com/2bh332z

Inventor: Charles Ellsworth McCormick
Assignee: Mercury Body Corporation
UTILITY Patent
Patent number: 1360656
Filing date: Mar 18, 1920
Issue date: Nov 30, 1920
http://tinyurl.com/3a2nbdq

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 01:03 am:

Wow, we sure hijacked this thread. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Penserini on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 02:43 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 04:01 am:

There was a Mercury speedster advertised for sale for $39,000 (SKR 250,000) on the Swedish equivalent to Craigslist in the last two weeks. The ad disappeared, maybe it sold? Ordinary restored black T's are hard to sell at $11,000 here these days but ok, the Mercury is more of a rarity with more sex appeal for buyers with means.
I saved some pictures from the ad, It is one of perhaps three Mercurys remaining in Sweden:

Mercury 1
Mercury 2
Mercury 3
Mercury 4
Mercury 5
Mercury 6
It's built on a 1925-27 European drop frame chassis with '26/27 rear axle and wire wheels. Seemingly no speed parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 04:56 am:

Since this thread became a Mercury Thread.
Wanted: Mercury 4 bolt steel top brackets. Need two, but one OK. Have 3 bolt reproduction un polished as part trade. Good reproduction OK.
See bracket on image of Bud Voth's car in 2010.
Thank you
Tom
modelttom@yahoo.comMercury 4 bolt steel top bracket

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration