OT - Ford new ecoboost engine, any owners here?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - Ford new ecoboost engine, any owners here?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 07:34 pm:

I'm close to buying a year or two old pickup. I'm a ford guy from years back and a big v-8 guy. I know this ecoboost boast a great power band, good gas mileage and such. My only real questions are, how is the power and mileage under towing and how many miles can one expect to get out of the turbos and engine block?

I get to buy one truck and really need some ecoboost owner advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 07:55 pm:

I bought one last year, love it,as you are I was nervous of the turbo's blowing the block apart, I got the extended warranty and have used it heavily from towing my 30ft motor home to hauling wood all the time, has plenty of power, got 22 mpg last weekend for the first time, this one has the posi front and rears and lower gears for pulling, I was not expecting to ever see 20mpg but it did, try to find a long bed extended truck any more? I had to special order this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 08:48 pm:

Talked to a customer at Walmart when he was getting an oil change. He said he has never gotten the mileage Ford advertises. He wasn't happy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 09:12 pm:

Terry, the truck has an anti sway system built in it, it will tap the brakes on a windy day to keep it going straight, you have to shut it off every time or your mileage drops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 09:34 pm:

Joe,What truck's are the engines available in? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 09:34 pm:

I have a 2011 4X4 crew cab ecoboost and get 18-19 running about 70 most of the time. I touch 20 if I slow down. Pulling a heavy 2 axle 18 ft 8 foot high enclosed trailer to Kanab got about 9-10 mpg at 75mph as we raced there, and 12 in the high country coming home, down to 10.5 across Nebraska. It seems to have more power at useable speed than my 5.4 triton did. That truck only got about 5-6 at 65mph with the same loaded T trailer and was shifting gears on every hill. I suspect the 4X4's get worse mileage than the 2WD, and tire tread and manufacture also make a difference. Winter blend gas drops me about 1-2 mpg. I haven't tried premium so usually run 87 octane. 10% ethanol drops me about 1 mpg but seems about the same in the winter as the winter blend when I drive 200 miles across the state. I haven't tried premium yet. Initially, Ford said to use premium fuel, then several months later stated you could use regular 87 octane fuel, but that premium was preferred for high loads such as towing. We often get 85 octane as our regular and I don't get quite the mileage on it as on 87. I suspect that under towing conditions, the engine could advance the timing more with premium and increase the performance. I've got to try it the next time I pull a trailer any distance and compare. It's hard to make comparisons as I get better mileage coming back from Sturgis as I lose about 2000 feet than going there and gaining it. Also, there is always a wind out here that is either pushing me, blocking me, or hitting me from the side. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Voss on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 09:52 pm:

On gas mileage one thing I have seen in my 2003 F150 with a 4.6 is the brand of gas. If I use a lesser brand like Speedway I get about 18.5 mpg if I use a brand like Shell I get about 19.25 mpg. And they cost the same and I drive 400 to 500 miles a week to and from job sites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 10:16 pm:

Prior to its introduction, the Ecoboost was tested in a variety of applications in addition to the dynamometer testing. One of the test engines was torn down at the 2011 Detroit Auto Show in front of a crowd and each piece was inspected.

The story and photos are here

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/01/what-the-inside-of-a-torture-tested-ecoboos t-v-6-looks-like.html

I drive a Ford Escape with an Ecoboost engine and now have 27,000 miles on it and I remain satisfied. My gas mileage depends on how I drive it.

These are my personal opinions and observations. I do not represent the Ford Motor Company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 10:23 pm:

It would be interesting if those who are quoting mpg and comparing performance
would include their rear axle ratio option and perhaps the tire size, especially
if they are pulling a trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 11:15 pm:

I know a friend that bought 1 of the short bed v6 pickups 2012 for a route vehical and since it was new they decided to take a small boat to the lake 1 weekend to try it out towing.Poor performance from what I understand.Under powered.
But that was the small v6 that basicly allowed ford to replace the ranger with a full size truck.
I never did find out what the eco boost actually is.Is it a design or a item added to the engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 11:34 pm:

I also participating on a travel trailer forum. There are lots of people who have them and are pulling a good size trailer with them and appear to really enjoy them. They have talked about one issue with the early ones with a computer controlled decrease in power when there is too much moisture in the innercooler???.

If you are going to tow with it, make sure to get the Tow Max package, as it will be properly geared, transmission cooler, larger mirrors, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 11:35 pm:

Eco Boost is Ford's name for turbocharging, however it was not just an added on feature. The previous V6 was a 4.1L, if I recall correctly and the Eco Boost is a 3.5L, if I am correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 11:43 pm:

Tim brings up a very good point - the type of gas makes a difference.

When I am in the states I drive 50 miles each way to get to work. My 2.8 Audi got an honest 25 MPG in the summer but it drops to 23 MPG in the winter.
I asked my mechanic about it because I though that it might need a tune up. He laughed and said "Welcome to Massachusetts gas!"

Since I live and get my gas in NH I asked what he meant.
He told me that since we are close to Boston we get our gas from Massachusetts and some masshole in the Mass legislature talked them into requiring a different formula for the winter that produced less hydrocarbons because cars too longer to warm up.
The downside is that it produces less power, lowers the mileage, and cost more.

I wonder if it really lowers the emissions or if we are experiencing a polar vortex due to climate change instead of global warming. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 05:54 am:

Bud,
I wanted the 250 but it was not availible with the eco boost, so I ordered the 150 with the extra springs and suspension to haul the extra's, the gas mileage if you are running short trips is 12 but get it out on a haul and it does well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 08:28 am:

I would be worried about this engine. The automotive industry has a long history of putting turbos on small motors and they are always the ones that fail early, blown engines, head gaskets, turbo bearings, oil leaks etc. I think Ford is pushing this ecoboost thingy to get the V8 hating government off there backs. It is only rated at five horses more than the V8 and one mpg better. That's assuming they didn't pad the numbers to make this engine come out on top. The extra hundreds of dollars more this option costs could buy a lot of gas. The new 5.0 V8 is an awesome engine and sounds much better too. If you read Ford's own F150 sales literature is says that they offer the five liter V8 for "durability". Think about why Ford said that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:13 am:

I just bought one a week ago so I can't say how long it will hold up and I haven't towed with it but new out of the box, I got 19.2 mpg across I-80 in Iowa. That means some significant hill(not mountains) in western Iowa. I was going anywhere between 70 to 80 mph. It never once downshifted going up hills but you would hear the turbos start pumping. One nice thing is that at 70 mph, you are only turning 1550 rpm so you have to think that there is less engine wear going on. The fuel used was E10-15 (because the dealer gave you a "free" tank and I'm not going to turn that down.) I'll run regular 87 from here on out. It has the 3.31 gears so I don't plan on pulling a really big trailer with it but an 18 enclosed with a T in it or our 20ft Century Arabian boat should be just fine.

I test drove a 5.0 V8 with the same gears and it was a dog. Sounded great but was gutless. The difference is that with the ecoboost, the power curve is down in a range that you actually use (1500 to 3000 RPM) where with the 5.0, it seems like you have to redline it for the power to kick in.

The only complaint I have with the ecoboost is the sound of the engine in that there is no sound. It's very quiet. Ask me how I like it at 150,000 miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:38 am:

Which 5.0 truck was it? Mine moves like a bullet. I have the regular cab, standard box, rear wheel drive. I suppose an option loaded super cab long box or crew cab 4x4 would be a little slower.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:44 am:

2011 F150 the 3rd brake light leaks.You have to change the complete unit. If your buying used look for a stain on the head liner and a bad smell from mold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 11:47 am:

Dave, it was a 2013 with full four doors 4x4. It just seemed like you really had to give it a lot of gas to get it to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:10 pm:

Nothing against Fords but one does have to wonder how a turbo gas v-6 will last when always being run on the edge when towing.

I had the same dilemma a few years ago and heeded my brothers advice and bought a diesel (will not name which brand). All I can is my diesel will pull anything with little effort loping along at 1800 rpm. Not sure what an ecoboost F150 cost but I paid $31,500 for my diesel new in 07 (4x4 CC). I average 17mpg in the city and 20 mpg on the highway.

If you have a good warranty then I would not hesitate to purchase if that's the direction you want to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:21 pm:

When I bought my 2013 F-150 FX-2, the salesman told me the 5.0 would get better mileage towing than the Ecoboost. I liked that the 5.0 didn't have turbos to go bad. I commute 140 miles roundtrip each day. I get 21 mpg doing 65 in the 55's and 75 on the 15 miles of interstate. There are about 4 small towns I have to slow down for on the two lane part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 04:35 pm:

Went to our Ford dealer to get a new SUV drove the first one it had a bad shimmy in the drive line. Giving the benifit of the doubt, I told the salesman of the issue, he said here try this one I want you to have a good experience with our product.
So we pile in and within 1/4 mile I have a check engine light lit as well as a service light, and didn't even get a chance to spool up the turbo! Both had less than 20 miles on them, so needless to say I'm not driving a new Ford, after reading about all the recent recalls on the ecoBoost power plants I'm glad I skipped it.
Not say'n they are all bad, but I'm the kinda person if I'm sitting with 10 people eating.... I'm always the one that has the hair in my food, or my stake is bleeding when I cut it.......ect.... You get the idea, so two bad fords in ten min. I figured I'd better move on...!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 08:22 pm:

I bought my new 2013 F150 with the 5 litre v8 a year ago December. It has 14,000 miles on it now and it is the best, bar none, truck I have ever owned.
I am 75, going on as the kids say, and for years owned only Chevrolet. Probably still would if I hadn't tried to buy a truck from the Chevrolet dealer in Bolivar Missouri. Ended up with a 2000 Ford 7.3 diesel from the Ford dealer there that was a jewel. The truck and the dealer that is. 200,000 miles later traded for my current F150. The diesel got lousy fuel millage and I wasn't hauling 20,000 pound hay trailers anymore. I was going to buy a Chevrolet small truck and the online trade in offer here in Tucson for my 2000 was about $3,000 below KBB so I went to Ford again.
My new truck got 21 +/- MPG from the start. I towed a small 20' travel trailer from Tucson, Arizona to Bolivar Missouri and back right away and got 12 MPG +/-. Its not a 7.3 litre diesel but has plenty of pulling power. My wife was very impressed with the ride and the lack of noise. She didn't like the 2000 which was a 4 wheel drive and rode like a truck.
My current MPG reading one the computer at the end of the current tank of gas is 21.7. Not sure how accurate the computer is, Steve will probably say it is very optimistic? I don't seem to buy gas that often though.
Looking forward to the end 2015 when I will probably trade for the Aluminium body F150.
Out of warranty repairs on modern vehicles can be expensive so It will be time for a new one by then.
If you don't plan on hauling a big trailer the 5 litre engine is perfect. Otherwise you will have to go with the Turbo engine which scares me a little.
My wife's Volvo has a digital cruise control indicator which I wish the truck had. I like to run 3 or 4 or more miles per hour above the speed limit and the analog gauge is hard to interpret.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 10:09 am:

I have a 2013 Raptor. 411 HP from a 6.2l. If I stand on the gas on dry pavement in 2wd it wastes rubber. In 4wd no problem. With the 6 speed automatic it cruises nicely. Realistically I make about 14 mpg combined and close to 20 on the highway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 11:10 am:

Thank you all. I have come to a conclution that I will go with a V-8 ovr the eocboost. One not sure how much longer the government will allow
v-8's to be made and i want to be sure I have one. Having a background in working on construction equipment i know who much turbo's cost and how extremely touchy they are to dirty oil and/or dirty air filters. Three many of the 8's are bosting much the same mpg with some better hp and torq. And i'm just not convinced that a 6 cly will run as long as an 8.

So, thank you all for your input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 11:13 am:

I have boosted my economy by continuing to drive my 2000 C------ pickup, 303,000 miles and still going strong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 01:34 pm:

lol, your "C------" pickup?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 05:48 pm:

1997 Ford Expedition 5.4 4X4. It will pull anything I want (pulled a semi and flat trailer out of my yard with it). If I am in 2 WD and driving 55mph, I can get 19-20mpg. I don't usually drive that way though. Truck payment = $0.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred McDonald on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 11:25 pm:

Since we are mostly Ford guys and seem to like what we bought, I have to compliment my pickup also. I bought a 2005 F-150 in 2006 and couldn't be happier. It has the 4.6 V-8, 2 WD, with automatic and pulls a double axle car trailer with Model T on top very nicely. Plenty of power and get around 12 to 14 pulling the trailer and 18 to 20 on regular highway miles. Winter temps. do cut the mileage 1 to 2 mpg. LOVE MY TRUCK!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 08:27 am:

Another 5.0 V8 owner here. I get 17-19 MPG and tows great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 11:51 am:

Dan, I had a better look at your car in your profile pic. Great looking car!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration