How Many folks own a T and an A?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: How Many folks own a T and an A?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:02 am:

In the sad day thread a bunch of guys said that they own at least one A and one T.
I am wondering if this is a fluke or if it major happening!

I have a 1919 hack that was restored in the 50's and an original "unmolested" 1931 Town Sedan.
Both belonged to my dad and were put in a barn in the mid 60's when he got sick.
The T was put back on the road a few years ago and the A was moved to my garage last fall.

I was thinking of selling the A but changed my mind when my wife informed me that she "really liked" it.
I expect to have the A on the road by next summer and hope I am allowed to drive it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karl Gilchrist on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 03:04 am:

1913 Model T Tourer and 1930 Model A Phaeton -Karl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 03:12 am:

I have three Model T's and one Model A,....and absolutely love them all!

It might be of interest to note that our club, the Carbon Canyon Model T Club, has I believe, 47 or 48 members at present, and I know of 10 members (including myself) that have at least one Model A as well as one or more Model T's. There had been some talk recently (probably not serious talk) about maybe calling our club the "T&A" club, but I guess there were those that thought that might suggest the wrong "connotation". And now that our new club president is a lady, and very much "a lady of the first order" I might add, I'm sure that the possibility of any club name change is a dead issue for sure!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 03:16 am:

1919 Touring T, a '27 Tudor T.......and a '29 Model A Tudor........and a couple other non-Fords.
Nothing restored.......all drivers.......and I do....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 04:31 am:

I'm currently looking for a Model A. At the moment the main appeal is the better brakes than my 24 Tudor, although I'm sure there are a bunch of other nice reasons to own Model A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 05:04 am:

We currently have a 1915 Roadster, and a 1931 Model A Deluxe Roadster. also have a 1928 non Ford.
(Had) a 1909 touring, 1911 Roadster, 1919 Coupe, 1920 Centerdoor, and a 1923 Roadster in the family. 1930 Model A Tudor. Sold'em......

Now the heard is only 3 strong. need to get rid of them tooo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 06:31 am:

Not me. Not interested in the A at all. The T is the car for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 06:33 am:

2 A's on the road and 1 T getting there.
2 More A's a restoration and a speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 06:39 am:

I have a 16 touring, a 21 roadster truck and a 31 slant windshield cabriolet, all running and licensed. I have a 47 cj2a jeep and a 65 mustang coupe running but no license.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam "POPS" Humphries, Lexington, KY on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 06:53 am:

16 touring and 29 fordor leatherback both running and registered as historic vehicles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 06:58 am:

16,21,&24 Tourings, 24 roadster, and 28 A Sport Coupe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 06:59 am:

Both Ts and As as well as pre-Ts and the later V-8 etc. are a lot of fun. And it allows you see the transitions over the years. Water pumps 1903 to Apr 1909 then Thermo-syphon cooling without a pump until the introduction of the Model A which brought with it the water pump again.. The 1906-1908 Model NRS&SR rear axle that was replaced with the pressed steel stampings to save money and weight. And those were not as strong as desired and were modified several times by Ford and finally replaced in 1915 with the stronger but basically earlier NRS&SR like housing design (although upgraded with better internals, different driveshaft housing etc. but very similar design).

Like our kids they each have their own personality, faults, and strengths. If someone has only a Model T, I would encourage them to go for a ride in a Model A and notice the improvements. Or if someone has only a Model A, I would encourage them to go for a ride in a T. Both were extremely popular back in their prime and both are very popular still today. If you are looking for a daily driver that only needs to do 45 to be safe, the Model A can easily do that. And of course with modifications either car can go faster, climb taller hills, etc. On a budget, I’ve had stock and almost stock Model As as my primary car for several years at a time, several different times during my life – and they served well. But most of us have our old cars as the “fun car to drive” or to work on or to research and not as our daily go to work car. And both the Model A and Model T work well for that mission.

Below is a photo of “Faithful Fred” the 1930 Model A Pickup we took to Iceland for a year. It was sold after we returned to the USA because we couldn’t figure out a good way to fit two adults and a child seat in the cab.

Below is a photo of Bessie our 1931 Town Sedan in West Germany for three years – which we still have. More room for kids.

Each of us has to make those trade offs between garage space verses cars verses the house etc. But in my own case if I had to sell all but one of my old Fords I'd keep my 1915 - Blackie. Not for financial reasons (it will be a money pit compared to some other cars I have), not for speed, not for the brakes, but for the memories. For a glimpse of some of my good memories with Blackie, please see the posting "Do You Believe coils sing different songs? Mine do." at
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/10844.html .

I hope many of you will be building good memories with your kids and grandkids also.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 07:15 am:

25 T roadster pick up and a 29 A standard roadster. Both seem to get equal attention when I take them out. I enjoy the huge difference that the 4 years makes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 07:37 am:

I was on the list in the other thread, but we have two T's and an A. Actually, a T, a TT, and an A. The T's an '18 Touring with a 50 year old restoration. Kinda looks original, but is not. The TT is a '22 with a stake bed and wooden cab of unknown manufacturer. It's in about the same shape as the Touring (See my profile picture). The A is a '29 Briggs Town Sedan. Frame off restoration. The A is nice, but the T's are more fun. The TT attracts WAY more attention at a car show than either of the other two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 07:47 am:

26 T Coupe, 31 model A roadster, 47 ford coupe, 66 mustang convertible, 2001 ford F 150, and 2012 F 150 As others have said it is really fun to see the "evolution" of the automobile when you get the chance to work on them all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 07:52 am:

Ts and a 1928 phaeton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 08:16 am:

I REALLY want a 1930 Model A Sport Coupe - like the Ramblin' Wreck, but tan with with black fenders and a white top. Of course, there are a couple of T's higher up the priority list, but I think that A is a gorgeous car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Taylor on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 08:23 am:

I have a 1926 Fordor and a 1930 Model AA Truck, that surprisingly has both a Model BB rear-end and springs. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 08:59 am:

I have four friends with both Ts and a Model A. They all prefer their T for speed and roominess.

Of course, their Model A cars are the 1903-1904 variety.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dena & Dennis Gorder on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 09:04 am:

We have a 1915 Gentleman's Roadster T, 1916 Touring, 1926 Speedster, 1926 Touring, 1926 Coupe and 1928 A Tudor. Also, a coupe of other newer Ford's. I like driving the T much more than the A. The A gets very few miles on it. The local A club is much more active than our local T club, so we will keep it to stay involved with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wahrendorff on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 09:11 am:

I have a '24 coupe and a '29 leatherback. I prefer the coupe as it is more comfortable to drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 09:27 am:

27 Sport Touring and 29 Model A Pk Its a 1950s style hot rod but still a Model A. There also is a Montgomery Ward Tractor Conversion and a Model T Speedster project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 09:30 am:

First, to the "top half" of the posters here...don't you guys get any SLEEP?!?....
Steve: Why do you want to get rid of your heard?
Did you get burned out on them like we did on boating? That's why we got rid of two boats down to one, and got rid of that one and now have four T's and a '30 Model A!! Love 'em all, but depending on what happens in a year or so with health ins. may have to sell at least one to have extra cash for the apparent huge increase in premiums!

Rob: I loved your post about your friends Model A's! Would LOVE to have one of those too!
Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:10 am:

No A here. Maybe someday, but I'd have to sell something to have room for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:23 am:

I like the 1903-4 A's, but can't afford them and I like the style of the '28-'29 A's but I hate their primitive transmissions - would have to change that if I ever get one. A planetary three speed in a Model A would be quite something in the spirit of what 'ol Henry could have built if he had been concerned with developing the A in time before T sales started to drop catastrophically..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Keil on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 11:10 am:

26 T roadster
29 A coupe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 11:44 am:

'12 Touring and '31 Deluxe Coupe here.

I have to keep the A around because it is the ultimate backup as a daily driver. Twice in the last 10 years my car and my wife's have been out of commission at the same time. The A never lets us down.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:01 pm:

1909 Touring, just bought 1924 Fordor, 1928 A Roadster Pickup under restoration. I'm with Roger Karlsson on the trans - the Model A non-synchro box was a backward step. And with Rob Heyen on the T being a livelier drive, and that's compared to the '28 A!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:29 pm:

Come on, guys! The non synchronized transmission of the A is no different than the ignition system on the T. Embrace it. Get to know it. Learn to appreciate it. Is double clutching that hard for you? My wife can downshift an A without grinding gears. I'll never understand why people get involved in antique cars only to bitch about their antique features.

Stepping off of soapbox now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:38 pm:

Currently have a 1926 T Fordor and a 1929 A Roadster. Anyone grumping about the A shifting should try a mid 1920's 6 cylinder car with a cone clutch and a clutch brake - I had a mid 20's Studebaker many years ago between T's which took some getting used to and let me say that Ford's A shifts like a dream in comparison to that beast...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:41 pm:

A few of the guys I know that have T's and A's drive there T's a lot more than the A's. Does this hold true to most others who own both? I only have T's and that is why I am asking. And it seems to me when we attend an A and T event, there are more T's present.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:41 pm:

If you cant get on to using the A transmission there was an article in one of the A mags about using the guts out of a 39 Ford trans for the A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:52 pm:

I sold my 31 coupe a week ago, so now I'm down to a 1928 p.u., a 1930 p.u. and a 31 tudor. Plus 10 Model T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:59 pm:

Early 1931 Pickup and a 1916 Speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Deckman, Ogden Utah on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 01:55 pm:

16 touring and a 30 roadster. The T is my favorite though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 02:34 pm:

Tim. Sleep? what's sleep? I am currently on the other side of the world and everything is upside down I sleep when I am awake and awake when I sleep. Try it sometime it is fun

Hal I agree if you want a modern purchase one don't molest an old vehicle :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 02:44 pm:

Well, I started this affliction in grade school with a 1930 Model A Sport Coupe, which I still have--I'm basically the second owner and have known the car all my life (used the front fenders as a slide when I was 4). I got "converted" to Ts about 15 years ago, and now have 3 and parts for 2 more. Right now I have nothing "on the road" -- my latest acquisition does run, but is waiting for bronze thrust washers, and some woodwork to preserve the body metal!
As to the A's transmission, back when i was driving it daily I could occasionally shift it without using the clutch, so I don't understand the transmission complaints. Yes, you do have to learn how to "syncro" the gear changes, and down shifting takes a little learning--and sometimes double clutching. I think it's all a part of the driving experience. If you want an automatic tranny, stick to the T or get a modern iron!!
:-)
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 03:25 pm:

I have three operational Model Ts (11-14-27) with a speedster in the works and a 29 Model A. All the Ts are open cars but the Model A is a Tudor which was partly do to my wife wanting a little more protection from the wind. I will have to mention that in 1965, I got my first car (also my first big restoration project) and it was a 1929 Model A Tudor. Back then I wanted a Model T but didn't find one I could afford and Model As (and parts) were really cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 03:39 pm:

1927 T and 1929 A. They are completely different machines, and I love them both. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 04:00 pm:

i am fortunate to have a 1911 ford and a 1930 model a sport coupe. both are restored. the model a has been in the family since 1951.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karl Gilchrist on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 05:09 pm:

Seth I've had a 1930 Sports coupe (as well as a 1929 Phaeton , 1930 Town Sedan and the 1930 Phaeton I still own ) Just for reference the black fenders are original but no Sports Coupe ever came out originally with a tan top. They where all a greyish (with black flecks in it) colour. However the fabric is really hard to source so many people do them in tan or black. On mine I painted the black top (almost) the correct grey colour

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 05:21 pm:

I have a '26 Coupe, '26 chassis w/earlier motor and tran, and a '29 A, 2-dr Sedan. Along with a couple of 100+ year old gems.
Might part with the Ford stuff when the weather gets better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Klem on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 05:27 pm:

How about a "T" & an "L", 1924 T roadster & a 1929 Lincoln model L (169B) (Henry Ford acquired Lincoln from Henry Leland) \image {img 1214}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 05:28 pm:

Our three fords

3 Fords

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Klem on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 05:32 pm:

How about a "T" & an "L", 1924 T roadster & a 1929 Lincoln model L (169B) (Henry Ford acquired Lincoln from Henry Leland) \image {T&L}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tex Holtby on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 06:19 pm:

I'm fortunate to own two t's and two a's. A 25 runabout, 25 pickup, 30 pickup & a 31 deluxe coupe. When my wife & I married in 1980 we drove my father in laws 31 roadster after the ceremony. Had to dry off the seats (sudden down pour) with the white carpet runner from the church - don't tell Father Forni! I don't think I could part with any of them. My 21 year old son has laid claim to the 25 runabout while my 19 year old son has dibs on the 30 pickup. I have a great picture of my dad and mom beside dad's 28 coupe when he was in his early 20's. Dad is 99 now. I wish I owned his model A today!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 06:39 pm:

After all the local kids had model A doodle bugs i finally bought several in the mid late 60's and even a chebby! Had a 29AA and it was a driver but the Wife said we looked like Ma&Pa Kettle so it was gone and i gave it to a friend.Got two T's and the Wifes 29 Towne Sedan.Had a 22 T running chassis but i was to lazy to build a speedster so it's gone.I would like another Model A doodle bug but they got expensive! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Klem on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 06:42 pm:

Can't figger out the image stuff. If yer ever near Santa Cruz, CA.
stop by and I'll show you the cars and let you drive them :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 07:02 pm:

Just click on Carl's name he has a car there to see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike dixon on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 09:37 pm:

I have 2 model ts and a 31 shay model a, love the shay

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince Altieri.... Greensburg, PA on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:12 pm:

1914 Touring and 1929 Phaeton..... The first Ford I restored was a 1924 Touring. Bought it in pieces in 1982 when I was 28 years old. Got it back on the road and after a couple of years I decided I wanted something a little faster so I sold it and "moved up" to the basket case 1929 Phaeton. The restoration lasted seven years and since then we have driven it about 8000 miles. I always regretted selling my 24 T and in 2008 bought the 1914 Touring. It was an older restoration needing some TLC....just what I was looking for. I drive them both as much as I can.....which isn't enough.... and love every minute of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug jenkins Plain City Utah on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 11:17 pm:

1926 model T Tudor,1929 model A pickup,1935 chevy pickup,1965 chevy 4x4 pickup,1970 chevy chevelle convert,1972 chevy chevelle,1978 chevy camaro

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:03 am:

I did a frame-off restoration on my '38 pickup. I'm currently getting the running gear put back together for my '26 Tudor and my '22 Touring will be in storage for at least another year. I've wanted a Model A Tudor off and on for years. Maybe it'll happen within the next decade. My last wish is for a Model A roadster with a built '53 flathead, modern 5 speed trans, 9" Ford and juice brakes. I might consider losing the Vette for the roadster. But I guess this can really only be done one project at a time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:17 am:

1907 Model R (complete but unrestored)1914 Touring, 1917 Speedster, 1923 Roadster (unrestored), 1924 Touring (unrestored),1923 Farm Truck, 1926 Coupe, enough parts to build at least 3 other T's, 1930 Standard Coupe (just acquired) and a 2005 King Ranch F150 to haul the others! First T bought in 1974 when I was 19 years old. The F 150 has to sit outside in the snow since the shop and garage are full. We have to set priorities!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 06:11 am:

1911 touring, 23 Centerdoor, 26 Tudor, 26 TT wrecker, 26 TT Express, 26 TT Dump, C-cab pickup, C-cab something in the works (runs), TT Doodlebug, ugly T speedster, 28 Phaeton, 31 Tudor Sedan. They all have made trips in 2013. I'm trying to build another speedster. Someday I plan on learning to put pictures on here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 08:34 am:

Why can't you fellows just accept the fact that Ford quit building decent cars in May of '27? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 09:29 am:

Eric, you got to lighten up, expand. You are missing great vehicles and great times. I have experienced Ford products from the teens 20s 30s 40s 50s 60s 70s 90s and 2000s. You dont know what you could be enjoying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 09:51 am:

I bought a '30 Tudor and sold it 14 years later as a down payment on the property where we have built 5 Model T's and some other old cars. I have enjoyed them all in different ways but have not really regretted selling the A except when I'm in a hurry to get somewhere.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 10:00 am:

By the way, The middle car in Mr. Leipold's photo reminds me how nice open A's look with the windshield folded down. Why don't we see more of that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Klem on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 10:22 am:

Another try on the photo
'24 T and '29 L
T&L

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 10:49 am:

Carl,
I sure do like that Lincoln!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 11:14 am:

When I was a youngster, I wanted a Model A really bad, not to hot rod as most my age did. My Dad wouldn't let me have one because he didn't like the mechanical brakes so I end up with a 57 Cheve 2dr hardtop, that wasn't so bad and wished I still had the car.
Later in life Dad and I had a good laugh, I showed him, I bought a Model T with no brakes.
Sure do miss him.

Mike Bender

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:59 pm:

Dan, I drove a Model A once. I really didn't care for that spear sticking up out of the middle of the floor. I had to be real careful of it while sliding in from the passenger side, if you know what I mean. Then the pedals were all messed up. I pushed the reverse and nothing happened, same thing with the low speed pedal, but when I hit the brake, the engine roared. I think it better stick to cars with a crank hanging off the front. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 01:25 pm:

24 coupe, 25 speedster, 31 converted boattail speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 01:38 pm:

1930 Model A Town Sedan (in the family 41 years)
1930 Model AA Doodlebug
1928 Model A Doodlebug (owned since I was 10 years old - 36 years now)
1925 Model T Shaw Conversion Tractor
1927 Model T doodlebug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 01:44 pm:

Love them ALL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 03:19 pm:

Here's a new song I think fits in this thread :-)
"How To Start a Model A" by Will Kimble

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcYJKUmzoKg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 04:31 pm:

Eric, I know what you mean by the spear sticking up through the floor, but I hear tell (of course I would never admit to it) things can get very interesting if your best girl is sitting next to you and you have to move that spear.
I understand the door issue. Not having just T's, everyone once in awhile I go to get in on the wrong side, seems every time that happens, the wife catches me and has a good laugh. So maybe you have a point

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 04:45 pm:

Dan - It's surprising how many Model A owners never realized until actually shown, that if you grab the "spear" (gear shift lever) down low with both hands, you can pull it straight up against spring pressure (you have to pull pretty hard with both hands) and it will disengage and you can swing it to the left toward the steering wheel and get it out of the way. Then when you want to "re-engage" the gearshift lever, just swing it back around to normal position and it will just pop back into place! I betting that at least a couple Model A owners reading this will try this and be pleasantly surprised!

......and I'll bet a few will try this trick and not admit that they didn't know this feature of their Model A existed,....ha,ha......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 05:09 pm:

I really liked the song but he forgot to turn the mixture to richen.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 06:45 pm:

I heard tale of an A jumping into two gears at one time when disengaging the shifter like that. Not sure I believe it. After all, there's only a detent thingy that keeps the shift fork rod centered up when the shifter is over in the other position. Not sure why one would be any more apt to jump into gear when the shifter is disengaged from both. But I did hear about it happening once over on one of the Model A sites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 08:10 pm:

Hal - I never heard of the "jumping into two gears at one time" thing, but certainly the "disengage & swing out of the way" thing was intended to be used only when parked and with the engine not running. In fact, as I mentioned, it takes enough force that it's necessary to grab down low "WITH BOTH HANDS", which I would think would make it obvious that you couldn't do it with a moving/running car. Kinda' like not disengaging a "fatman steering wheel" while driving, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Schreier on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 10:19 pm:

I have a 1925 Touring, and a 1931 Model A Coupe. For only being made six years apart, they are very different cars. They each have their own personality and that's one of the things I like best about them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 10:35 pm:

Have 2 Model T's (11 Roadster & 13 Touring) and 2 Model A's (29 p/u & 30 coupe). The 29 Model A p/u is what I first learned to drive in. It has been in the family since the late 40's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 02:14 am:

Harold,

Mine can be lifted by the knob with one hand, if you pull hard enough. I've done it, but only to see what folks were talking about. There was some discussion about it several years ago on Ahooga, I think it was, where some of the old timers were talking about doing it while driving so their date could sit closer. To each his own, I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 02:42 am:

Hal - Well, all I can say is, if your gear shift lever is anywhere near as difficult to pull up against spring pressure and then rotate with one hand as I've experienced, there's NO WAY I'd ever arm-wrestle with you! Ha,ha,...
Every one I've ever tried to do that little trick with has required 2 hands, grabbing down pretty low and a bit of "huff & puff. Unless maybe your spring isn't quite as strong, but the several cars I've done that on were all about the same,......and required 2 hands and grabbing well below the knob. And I'm still sure that Ford never intended this to be done in a moving car! Not that any of this is important, however, just a somewhat obscure feature of the Model A,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 06:57 am:

I can't controll myself any longer. :-)

I was never concerned about the gear shift on the Model A
It is a Town Sedan with a big back seat - perfect for the drive in - if you know what I mean :-)
The only problem was getting it aligned with the screen because the front window was so small - but then who went to the drive in to actually see the move?

The only one I can actually remember watching was It's a Mad Mad World and I still laugh when I thing about the guy kicking the bucket Anyone for looking trying to find the Big W?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 08:03 am:

Have a 1915 model T touring, a 1915 model T speedster, a 1931 model A pickup 6 wheel, a 1926 Nash Ajax sedan, and some others. All restored and all FUN. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 08:51 am:

Fred, I agree with your take on the A back seat. My 28 Phaeton has dual side mounts(since new) between those and with the top up, you just about have to be a contortionist to get into the front seat at my height 6'2. The front seat is not adjustable. The back seat has so much room you could have a party back there. When I replaced the interior in it, I drilled out the seat back spot welds and pushed it back as far as I could and rewelded it. After I did that, once I get into it it is comfortable. I have driven it on long distance vacations. Never had that problem with the pre 26 T's. I agree with you on the Mad Mad World film. Many old Fords in this movie, my favorite, Don Knotts 56 Ford Convertible

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 09:46 am:

I am a proud member Of "A A"
"Automobiles anonymous" and if is antique and has an engine , I try and find room to keep it,
last summer I drove an un-restored 30 A roadster
every chance I got
My Family still has many of the vehicles that my grandparents drove , and some that have been acquired since

21 TT

23 T

28 willy's knight

30 A

and more in the barn, it is a sickness,...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 10:13 am:

Those are some wonderful cars. In particular, Dan K's T's and Shawn H's A Roadster have a nice look to them.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 10:34 am:

It's definitely a sickness!
I don't think I want a cure.
'14 Hudson, '15 T Boattail Speedster, '21 TT/Fond Du Lac tractor, '24 T PU, '24 T Tudor, three '40 Fords, '48 Ford, '49 Stude, '51 Chrysler, '62 Buick Special Convt, '65 El Camino, '75 Ford PU, three airplanes.

l
k

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 02:21 pm:

Bob - Beautiful collection (and photos) but there is one big "hole" in your collection,.......you need at least one Model A!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 02:48 pm:

Harold,
Thanks and I have been kinda half heartedly looking for a '30's car to fill the hole.
It's nice that there's no requirement that ANY of this makes sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 05:44 pm:

One Model N, a gaggle of Ts (1909 the earliest, 1919 the latest) and two Model A cars (29 Sport Coupe RS & 29 Town Sedan)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 11:34 pm:

Bob - Ever stop to think that your well-rounded collection represents "the big three" (Ford, General Motors & Chrysler) and you also have a couple of the independents of our generation, Hudson and Studebaker, but you need at least two other independents of our generation to really round out your collection,..... maybe an early '50's Kaiser (or Henry J or better yet, an "Allstate" as it will become a real collector's item when Sears folds up) and then the PERFECT independent to fill that '30's "HOLE" you mentioned,....a Packard! (Well, heck,....come to think of it, ya' probably need a Nash or a Rambler too!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 12:34 am:

Bob, Very nice collection. You must be living in a air park. I use to live in Pilot Country Estates in Fla. Everyone has aircraft but there are/ were a few antique auto owners there too. Everyone calls my cars toys!!! I correct them often! They are not toys! But you'll have a difficult time convincing them. I know what you all are thinking (Junk!) LOL (I know).
This was a good post! I am glad to see that I am not so different from all of you guys. Many of us cut our teeth on both A's and T's. All of mine are apart, in boxes, and or sitting in storage's. 12 T's and 5 A's. Please... no comments either. Not yet! I have been looking for a 28-9 Phaeton body for 25 years. They are still out there in rust sitting in garages and barns. Problem is right prices and mainly getting the old geezers to turn loose of one. I have built and own (3) 28-9 roadsters and own a 30 model Roadster too. But never owned a phaeton... yet. I know of one 29 sitting now outside and is a little swiss cheezish. No front doors, gas tank nor windshield stanchions.,. He's 80 and thinks its worth $2000.00. It's sitting in a tin pile looked at first like an old 26 touring but it wasn't.
You guys finding out about the trans shifters coming loose... when I was a kid in high school and I bought a couple of A trannys in a garage not far from my house I thought they were V-8 trans. Shows how dumb I was I guess but as I was getting them out I was lifting and carrying them out by the shifter and that is when I learned about that problem. I thought the one was broken that came loose and swung around. Some of the old tractor builders with A's, shortened up, use to pull the handle up and swing it around 180 degrees and use it that way. I remember seeing a few of those then. (When I was young not what I have known now for many years).

A few of my cars like the A's...will I hot rod them or restore??? That IS the question.
The ol Geezer in Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:01 pm:

Harold,

Try resting your wrist on your knee, palm side up, shifter between index and middle finger. It's pretty easy to do one handed with the right amount of leverage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Gundersen on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 08:51 pm:

You can't have one without the other; can you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 09:27 pm:

Thanks Joseph,
I'm kind of a lightweight compared to some of you guys!
We live on an airpark called Shady Acres...sounds like an old folks home, huh?
Nice having a plane in the front yard.
Keep looking for that Phaeton.
Harold,
I'm out of room to buy any more cars. I'll have to peddle one to have a place to park a new one.
I'd like to have a '33/4 Ford. Probably won't happen though. They're like gold!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 11:24 pm:

Bob - Just put a "lift" in that hanger of yours,...you can make more room!

Hal - Okay, I tried it. I must have a much stronger spring than yours, because no way can I even begin to do that little trick with one hand and one knee, or both knees for that matter! And like I said, no way will I ever arm-wrestle with you! Ha,ha.... Anyway, I still think it's something that many Model A owners don't know about!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 11:25 am:

I only have a '26 T, but I'd like to own a Model A truck at some point in the future (sooner rather than later).

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration