Differential bolts: What would you do?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Differential bolts: What would you do?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:40 am:

I'm still going through the rear axles I bought to keep a scrapper from getting them, looking for usable parts.

I suppose this is OK, but I'd be inclined to use wire here. How about you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:57 am:

I found mine wired there, so it got wired when it went back together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 01:20 am:

Steve, if that castle nut is on a bolt, the split pin is ok. If it is on a stud, then the three of them should be safety wired.

Just my opinion.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 01:41 am:

Wonder how long it ran just the way you see it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 03:55 am:

I agree with Allan -

The cotter pin stops the nut from turning on the bolt - if it is a stud the wire is needed to stop the studs from turning.

I think mine was wired in sets of two but can't tell from the pictures - I am 90% sure that it had not been apart before I changed the babbit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 09:30 am:

Wire it,Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:02 am:

Think Bob!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:02 am:

It's a bolt with a nut. What are you all worried about!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:46 am:

if its an early carrier its a stud, later than? a bolt. steve, you can use a late carrier in your 15 housing, it'll fit and we wont tell any one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:58 am:

People that put Cotter pins in the two studs that hold the wishbone to the oil pan often have tragic results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 11:02 am:

The earlier ones, not sure what years, up to about maybe 1919 or '20 used studs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:13 pm:

When I pulled apart my 16 diff apart all three were wired together. Did the same on assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 11:02 pm:

Too good to use as parts, You can make whole axles out of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:07 am:

It seems like safety wire is no more difficult and a lot more bullet-proof.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:08 am:

What does it say in the Model T bible?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 03:13 am:

If it is a bolt with a castled nut and cotter pin what does matter if it does turn it can't go any where. If it is a threaded bolt then the head would have a hole in it and then it would have to be wired. I think the design has to be considered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 07:05 am:

Is there any particular reason NOT to just wire it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 11:52 pm:

If it can still screw out then it needs to be wired. Its easy enough, just wire it up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 11:52 pm:

If it can still screw out then it needs to be wired. Its easy enough, just wire it up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 08:17 am:

It is a later carrier (1920 - ish and later) so cotter pins work fine on the three through bolts. The pinion gear bolts get safety wired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 09:45 am:

I'm sure you meant ring gear bolts Royce!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 05:34 pm:

Royce, that top left bolt in the bottom picture isn't wired correctly. The wire should be on the top side of the bolt head. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 05:41 pm:

LOL well at least it can't turn much :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration