OT- Mystery Photos From The AACA Library – The Louisville Salvage Corps.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT- Mystery Photos From The AACA Library – The Louisville Salvage Corps.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 07:53 am:

Mystery Photos From The AACA Library – The Louisville Salvage Corps.: The AACA Library, who has sent us a number of interesting photos from the “random and unidentified pictures” box. We are turning them into a regular feature where we are going to let readers identify them.Today’s photo is of a circa 1910 light truck that was made by a well known early automobile maker. Join in and help out the AACA Library & Research Center @ http://theoldmotor.com/?p=112917

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 09:27 am:

The Louisville salvage corps. was disbanded and made part of the Louisville fire dept. They were not fire fighters but followed along and help protect victims property and belongings. Several were killed in the line of duty. Here's another picture from 1926. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 09:36 am:

Do I spot a "low impact" bumper on the front of that truck I see the springs on the front if so I believe that is the oldest application I've seen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:29 am:

"The Louisville salvage corps. was disbanded and made part of the Louisville fire dept. They were not fire fighters but followed along and help protect victims property and belongings".

Keith, what we found when researching for this post was that in many cities the were Salvage Corps were established by insurance underwriters in cities to preform fire-fighting services and to help with reducing losses. Later on the Corps role changed to salvaging property after the regular city firemen had done their job.

We do not know what year their role might have changed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvage_Corps

http://www.examiner.com/article/underwriters-salvage-corps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:40 am:

G.R. Here's a Model T "low impact" accessory bumper from our collection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 11:44 am:

Interesting reading, I guess most cities at that time had a salvage corp. I didn't find when the Louisville corps disbanded either. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:28 pm:

FWIW the truck in the second photo is a White. You can almost read the script below the passengers shoe.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration