Old Photo - Model T Era Goodyear Tire Factory

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Model T Era Goodyear Tire Factory
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:56 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 01:58 pm:

I'll bet that guy slept good at night!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 08:31 pm:

"I've pulled over 5000 miles off and there is still lots of mileage left. Somebody else do this quality test--I'm tired!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:32 am:

It's a dirty job but somebody's got to do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:51 am:

Back in the 50s and 60s, the family used to visit my grandparents in Akron, Ohio. It always smelled like rubber. If you left your car out overnight, it would be covered in black soot by the next morning. My grandfather and two uncles retired from Goodyear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 03:35 am:

So, does anyone now exactly what the guy is doing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 05:49 am:

Well my guess is he is adding layers of rubber to vulcanize to the existing compounds. We used to do a similar procedure when I worked in a retread shop in Pennsylvania in the late 60's early 70's. The rubber we had came in coils in a box and had an adhesive on the back that was exposed by removing the plastic wrapper and placed over the tire casing and then heated in a tire tread form under pressure to melt the compounds together and emboss the tread design into the tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 09:37 am:

The caption under the photo in American Machinist July 29, 1909 reads "Hand-Made Tire. Stretching the Fabric." They also show some Machine made tire processes, stretching and rolling the fabric. Those photos are not near as interesting as the one above.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 09:38 am:

P.S. Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 09:49 am:

Sure wish Goodyear still made Model T tires...here in the US.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 09:40 am:

Goodyear makes the All Weather tread tires in the 4.50x21 size, where made ?? good question. Clinchers ???

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration