Ah, If only I were a Poet.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Ah, If only I were a Poet.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 12:10 pm:

The way the sunlight plays through the hood louvers and onto the radiator core
blinking as each fan blade goes by while I crank.
The chuff, chuff as the engine fires.
Pumping the choke rod to keep her going cause no one is there to pull down the Spark.

The quick squeal and smell of burnt rubber as I let the jack down.
Got to tighten the brake rods when it gets warmer.
The crunch of the Non-Skids on the fresh snow.
Finding the sweet spots on the spark lever and carb. control.

The fellow looking up from scraping his windshield.
All the thumbs ups, smiles and nods from passing motorists.
The two patrolmen I pass. One gives the snake eye. The other a smile.
No sirens or lights this time.

A twisted high heal shoe in the cross walk. Does it have a story to tell?
All the little things you notice at 20 mph. The wreath on a mail box from last Christmas.
A single plastic bag in a leafless tree. A lady bundled up on her porch having a morning cigarette.
The wonderful sound of three cylinders doing their job and another one trying.

And thinking of all the poor soles that will never know the joy of driving a Model T to the clinic to get their allergy shot.

Rich Eagle

Well heck, maybe it's not all that romantic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 04:32 pm:

It's poetry to my ears!

Gil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 05:33 pm:

Thanks Gil. My Brother used to amuse me by saying things like "I can read writin' but I can't write Readin'.

Maybe the above is why there isn't more old car poetry.

Have a nice day.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 08:20 pm:

I think that I shall never see a poem a lovely as a Model T

I can't remember the next line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson-Lake Arrowhead,CA on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:03 pm:

I don't know about the rest of you here ,,but I've just about had it with Richard....Not only can he restore about any year or size vintage car,he does woodworking,builds body's,restores Ts from the inside out ,and doesn't even disturbs the RUST....Draws and paints Anything !!!!......Now it's poetry !!! He's making it hard on all of us.......Don't you agree ???? This has got to stop.....
I hope you realize this is all " tongue in cheek" you know that....
It was just my way to tell you how much we all respect your many talents,,,Thank You for sharing and inspiring all of us...Carl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:18 pm:

Thanks Carl. I'm really not a poet, an artist or even a good mechanic but that never stops me. I always like to try. The forum is a fun place to visit. Thanks for putting up with me.
You folks are the greatest.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 04:44 am:

Richard,

You are a Poet

Perhaps you do not know it

But poems do not have to rhyme

All the time

I like yours just fine ..... :-)

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 09:44 am:

Jim, that has a nice ring to it. It did occur to me that mine had no Rhyme nor Reason.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration