Scat Visit After HME

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Scat Visit After HME
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays KS on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 02:43 pm:

Wile walking around before the drivers meeting at the HME, looking at and taking photos of the cars, I bumped into Tom Lieb owner of Scat Mfg. We met at the Sunflower State Crankers mid winter Clinic 3 years ago when he was invited to talk about his then new Crankshafts for model T's and A's. It was a supprise to me that me remembered me. After a short and pleasant conversation he invited me to come by the shop before I headed home. After a phone call New Years Eve was a date that worked for both of us. I stopped at Randy's Donuts and then met up with Tom at his shop. The holiday week was a week of shut down and so got a personal tour from Tom. I even took a few pictures. Most did not come out, with the lighting dim from the plant not fully up and running, but I did get a few.

This shot was right inside the door of the shop, ready for shipping.

All crank forgings are the same and depending on how they are machined, made into Model T or A cranks.

I believe the top picture is T cranks, and the lower pic is of future A cranks, both with out oil holes. Those cranks get the holes drilled early in the machining stage. The locating machining removed as the crank is finished.

These two pictures are of the "new" rod for Model T engines. The next picture is right out of the online catalog showing part numbers and sizes. The "T" rods on line one. Tom said it's all in the new catalog but not yet in a specialty flier.

This Lamp is sitting in the corner of the front waiting area. It is made from a Model T crank and was given to Tom from his employees for his birthday last year. His birth day if I remember correctly is Jan. 2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 03:48 pm:

Did those rods have insertable bearings? Do they have a web site?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays KS on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 04:00 pm:

http://www.scatcrankshafts.com/

Yes they have inserts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays KS on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 04:01 pm:

Also they are the same insets as the Model A rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays KS on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:28 pm:

bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 02:45 am:

Are these the rods Snyder's, etc is selling, or something different? Anybody know pricing and where to buy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 07:22 am:

The Snyder's rods are listed as essentially requiring pressurized oiling - are these the same idea?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 08:54 am:

The last couple of sets, Scat rods with inserts and freight cost $565.00 for a set, which included freight. You should be able to buy them from any of the vendors that sells the Scat crank.

Inserted rods in the Model T should be ran in a pressure system only IMO as our engines do not have clean oil and should be filtered. There are other reasons but with out clean oil to the rods the inserts would not live long.

The short rod shown in Jerry's pictures is indeed the new offering from Scat. It is to be used with Scat's Stroker crank. The design was to let us use a standard Model T piston with a .750" wrist pin. You will note that the rod has no means of locking the pin into the rod so the wrist pin would be full floating. As I haven't seen a Model T piston with a snap ring to hold the wrist pin in place, I have been told that a button inserted into the pin would be needed to keep from contacting the cylinder wall.

Another minor problem is the longer rod using a 1" wrist pin on the Stroker crank will contact the a standard type Ford cam shaft and needs to be modified. The picture shows a small amount removed from the right rod. See white highlight. I haven't install the shorter rods at this time but I think the same problem will happen.

It is my understanding that Scat will change the bolt to 3'8" and reduce the size of the rod so the contact area will be removed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 05:01 pm:

Mike,
I agree that "oil should be filtered", however, 21 million VW Beetles have run without filtered oil. My '74 Super has 80k miles now, and is still going strong. I am not clear on why the inserts need pressurized oil, while the babbit have done well in our Ts for over 100 years.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration