Axle bearings: Which end in, and which end out?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Axle bearings: Which end in, and which end out?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 02:56 pm:

If you remember your Gulliver, you recall that the Lilliputians were torn with conflict because they were Big Endians and Little Endians. The former believed that an egg should be opened from the big end, and the latter knew that the opposite was correct.

The rollers in most used Hyatt bearings have a slight taper, usually a difference between one and and the other of .001" to .0015". Which end should go in first, toward the differential?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 03:47 pm:

If you really believe that hog wash,I have some beach front property I will sell you .... I had some NOS bearings that measured 0.501 on both ends. They are working well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 04:13 pm:

In early computer times, "Big Endians and Little Endians" was (and still is) the battle between "High Byte - Low Byte" and "Low Byte - High Byte" memory addressing. :-)

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 04:15 pm:

BTW, my gut says to put the most worn end towards the inside.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 04:24 pm:

Steve,

I would put the small end in first. (Even if it is hogwash)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 04:48 pm:

I believe with the way the rollers are rolled (like a spring) that they will crush to uniformity in diameter under load. So in reality it doesn't matter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 07:12 pm:

Jack Daron - I'd like to know just a fraction of what you've forgotten about Model T Fords, but you and Steve just happened to hit on something that I do know a bit about:

I've mic'd up quite a number of used Hyatt rear wheel bearings, and I have to agree with Steve that it's not unusual to run across one that has as much as a couple thou' difference between one end of the rollers and the other. Don't know why, but there it is,......FWIW,.......harold

P.S. In fact, after the first one those I ran across, I made a mental note to ALWAYS mic up both ends of serveral rollers in each bearing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 07:23 pm:

I do check both ends. I try to use 0.495 or better bearings and avoid the others. What struck me as odd,was Steve seemed to infer that they were made that way.Maybe I just read it wrong,and if so I apologize. It would be illogical to manufacture them tapered. Many are worn beyond belief.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 09:23 pm:

Yep, the operative word was used. On NOS both ends would be the same. Like Jerry, my inclination would be small end toward the center.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:14 am:

My experience is similar, 1 to 2 thou difference between the ends on OUTER bearings. It's always the outer end of the outer bearing which is smaller. The inner bearings tend to be more uniform. Does it matter which way they go back in? I don't know.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration