Where should I put the turn signal lights

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Where should I put the turn signal lights
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 04:13 pm:

Hi All,

I need to put some turn signals on my Center Door Sedan. Where is the best place to mount the lights? I want them to show up well when in use but to be somewhat out-of-sight when not flashing. All suggestions are welcome and the more photos the better.

Bill Severn
Freezing in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 05:09 pm:

Bill, most I have seen/fitted myself, are attached to the headlight fork thread. This places them a little under the front fender so they are not so conspicuous, but still easily seen.

To avoid drilling holes in sheet metal, I mount the rears on brackets which extend rearward and outward from the back corner of the body. They are mounted with screws to the underside of the body corners.

It does depend a little on the type of light you use. A common one used in Australia resembles the navigation lights used on boats. These are visible for around 270 degrees, so getting them in a position to be visible is relatively easy.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 07:40 pm:

Can you hide them and still expect them to be seen? Put 'em where it'll do some good if you're going through the trouble in the first place and avoid holes in fenders and body. Also: it's a good idea to put them where the chimp-that-talks whose driving behind you expects them to be. These are Model A tail lamps. Stop & turn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 08:02 pm:

I agree with Charlie. Avoid sheet metal holes and place them where the orangutan (or chimp that talks) behind you expects to see them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 08:38 pm:

I mounted mine using the headlight bolts on the TT and radiator bolts on the Roadster. I used 12v LED lights on the Roadster front and back. They are small and extremely bright in daylight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:40 pm:

In the days there was an after market jobber that mounted them inside the oil side lamps. One model was mounted to the spring steel ring. I have an oil light with an electric socket as well as the wick/faunt mounted in from the rear just slightly off to the side, it looks very professionally done. It has a double contact socket for what ever your choice of wiring may be. Most likely parallel and the double socket may be for running and signal or one bright signal light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rodney Aspenson on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 12:12 am:

We used a set of generic motorcycle turn signal lamps with a black case... Used a short piece of aluminum angle and drilled holes to fit light mount on one side of the angle and used leaf spring shackle bolt to anchor bracket... All you really see from the front is the turn signal with the bracket hidden nicely behind the shackle bracket and leaf spring. It is very visible to on comers when signals are blinking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 10:46 am:

Rodney,

Do you have a photo you can share of your installation?

Bill

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration